VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quote:
In the first such scheme in the UK, owners of pit-bulls and other dogs bred for fighting were given a month to hand in animals without fear of prosecution.

At a council meeting on Monday night councillors were told that 61 dogs had been examined.

The 15 confirmed as illegal were humanely destroyed, acting chief executive Maurice Watterson said.
Full article here.

·
Registered
166 Posts
You got to love how easily the public accepts artificial incrimination of somthing completely innocent, they make these people sound like crack dealers.

·
Registered
12,132 Posts
That's just disgusting. They keep saying "dangerous dogs" but that's misleading, they are targetting all "pit bull type" dogs regardless of their history.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeppers.

It's just stupid. I like the new saying, "Punish the deed, not the breed."

They aren't born horrible monsters ... people turn them into "bad dogs" with their bad training. Jerks.

·
Registered
12,132 Posts
I do fully support banning the breeding of hunting and fighting type dogs, though.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I wouldn't want the dogs to become non-existent due to nulling out breeding, but I would support an act of limited breeding of the species.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiz View Post

I do fully support banning the breeding of hunting and fighting type dogs, though.
So entire breeds should be made extinct because we don't like what their ancestors were bred and trained by their owners for?

Unless I've misconstructed the basic logic behind this, would also be justifiable to eliminate the doberman breed since at least a generation of them were bread and trained by the Nazis to serve as terror weapons.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Quote:

That's just disgusting. They keep saying "dangerous dogs" but that's misleading, they are targetting all "pit bull type" dogs regardless of their history.
Regardless of history? So dogs with history of being bred to fight should be killed? o_O

·
Registered
16,090 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by animallover7249 View Post

Regardless of history? So dogs with history of being bred to fight should be killed? o_O
What she means is that no individual dog should be labeled dangerous unless that specific dog has a bite history or shown aggression. Instead they are labeling all dogs of certain breeds to be dangerous when not all of those dogs are dangerous.

·
Registered
16,090 Posts
Quote:

Why those in particular? I am very much in favor of banning the breeding of all dogs in any area where there is an overpopulation of dogs. But I wouldn't be in favor of permanent breeding bans, ie forced extinction, of any breeds. Especially not hunting breeds which include some of the best dogs around (Labrador Retrievers
).

Hunting Breeds: http://www.dogbiz.com/dogs-grp1/sporting-index.htm

By fighting breeds do you mean like the Mastiff (Molosser) group or just Pit Bulls?

Molosser Breeds: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Molosser

That's a lot of breeds to want extinct, if you're calling for a permanent breeding ban. But we definitely need to slow down the breeding of dogs in countries where there are large numbers of strays or overfull shelters.

·
Registered
12,132 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpickell View Post

I am very much in favor of banning the breeding of all dogs in any area where there is an overpopulation of dogs.
That's how I'd go, but I don't realistically see it happening this week. Where I live it is illegal to breed them (pit bulls) and I have no objections to that law. So I support the law that says don't breed them but I don't support a law that says kill those already living. I don't want any sort of dogs to go extinct in particular, I'm just saying, if my local government says "don't breed this dog, this dog", and this dog then I'd not object to that law.

·
Registered
12,132 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gguru1 View Post

So entire breeds should be made extinct because we don't like what their ancestors were bred and trained by their owners for?

Unless I've misconstructed the basic logic behind this, would also be justifiable to eliminate the doberman breed since at least a generation of them were bread and trained by the Nazis to serve as terror weapons.
That's not going to happen though, is it? With the overpopulation of dogs in shelters I'm surprised anyone supports the deliberate breeding of dogs no matter what breed they are. I'm not trying to eliminate any breed, I just think there are way too many dogs around and we need to discourage people from deliberately breeding more and more and more.

My logic is not "oh my god! I hate dobermans all nazis used dobermans!". I don't believe people should be allowed to indiscriminately breed dogs, cats, horses and other animals not native to this environment (speaking about where I live). Thus, if someone brings in a law saying "don't breed any dogs until this problem is solved" then well and good. I'd support that law too.

·
Registered
16,090 Posts
Quote:

That's how I'd go, but I don't realistically see it happening this week. Where I live it is illegal to breed them (pit bulls) and I have no objections to that law. So I support the law that says don't breed them but I don't support a law that says kill those already living. I don't want any sort of dogs to go extinct in particular, I'm just saying, if my local government says "don't breed this dog, this dog", and this dog then I'd not object to that law.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I think it's stupid, I used to know a pit bull or a pit bull cross of some sort when i was younger ( i don't know the owners now and i'm guessing it's been euthanized.)

and it was a really nice dog and would put up with my annoying 6 year old self clambering all over it etc.

so the steryotype that all pitbulls and pittbull x's are killing machines can go the fff**** out the window thankyouverymuch

·
Banned
4,791 Posts
Dogs are like children. They become what they are trained to become. It is 10% heredity and 90% environment. They have to be taught to hate and fear and fight and bite and kill. Neither species is born with that.

You've got to be taught

To hate and fear,

You've got to be taught

From year to year,

It's got to be drummed

In your dear little ear

You've got to be carefully taught.

You've got to be taught to be afraid

Of people whose eyes are oddly made,

And people whose skin is a diff'rent shade,

You've got to be carefully taught.

You've got to be taught before it's too late,

Before you are six or seven or eight,

To hate all the people your relatives hate,

You've got to be carefully taught!

South Pacific

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
The problem with banning breeds is that dog fighters are just going to turn to another breed.

We need to fight dog fighting, not fighting dogs.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Quote:

I agree that some breeds should be banned from breeding. Chow Chows are the only dogs that are instinctivley agressive, though so it is sad that potentially harmless dogs like Pits need to be banned because of the people that raise them. I also think they should crack down harder on the dog fighting business. I do not think that they should be put down unless the individual do is dangerous though.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts