VeggieBoards banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been told that us vegans should be taking Amino-Acids tablets for protein..I think very much that I am deficient in protein so should I be taking these, does anyone here take them? And also are they from animals (you know like their digestive tracts or anything) or tested on animals in any way? HEELLPP

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
The person who told you this obviously has worries about proten availability with a vegan diet. Amino acids are what protein gets broken down into.<br><br><br><br>
It's not necessary to take amino acids. You can get protein through vegan eating. Just make sure you get enough calories a day, and it's hard to miss out on protein. If you're worried, eat high protein foods Here's some examples of high protein foods:<br><br><br><br>
Beans<br><br>
Nuts<br><br>
Mushrooms<br><br>
Grains<br><br><br><br>
And pretty much everything else contains protein, but they're good places to go. Now the problem with these is that they aren't complete proteins. This is probably why there's some worry. It is classically viewed that in the plant kingdom, complete proteins don't exist. Or so the meat industry would like you to believe. You can get complete protein from soy products such as tofu, tempeh, miso, textured soy protein, (It obviously contains protein) with soy sauce being an exception. (Soy sauce doesn't contain much protein.) Also, one of my favourite foods happens to be a complete protein, (And also plenty of iron too!) and that is quinoa. All the amino acids are there, so if you like quinoa, then that's a great reason to eat it.<br><br><br><br>
Most poeple will tell you that the best source of protein is meat. This is true, because protein, once consumed, contributes towards muscle growth. Meat happens to be the muscle tissue of animals, so therefore, it has all the aminos required to make muscle. But you need not eat meat to get all your aminos.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Loki is so smart!<br><br>
There are eight amino acids that your body cannot make by itself. these are leucine, isoleucine, valine, threonine, methionine, phenylalanine, tryptophan, and lysine. They must be consumed through eating. Yes, meat has all of these proteins, but it is easy to get them through a varied veg diet. Eg. throw some corn in with your beans and you've got it covered.<br><br>
I found a good website that explains the science of it:<br><br><a href="http://www.vegsoc.org/info/protein.html" target="_blank">http://www.vegsoc.org/info/protein.html</a>

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
Complete proteins... You simply need to eat a variety of protein sources throughout the day, and you get all you need.<br><br><br><br>
Americans consume far too much protein. Affects our calcium... Oh, wait. That's starting to get off-topic.<br><br><br><br>
Just don't worry too much.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
cool thanks everyone you are all very smart..I mind investigate tho about buying some cos i reckon ive had a deficiency for the last 8 yrs!! :S

·
Registered
8,777 Posts
how do you know if you have a protein deficiency?? have you seen a doctor? And received a 2nd opinion?<br><br><br><br>
I am sure I don't have a problem with protein because I'm addicted to beans, nuts, and soy products. so I'm sorry I don't have much info on how one would have a deficiency. But Loki and superjane are right on.<br><br><br><br>
You need a max. of 50g of protein a day - most americans get over 100g each day (egads).<br><br><br><br>
what are you eating (or not eating) that would lead to a protein deficiency for 8 years???<br><br><br><br>
amy

·
Registered
19 Posts
i am a vegan (and have been for years) and eat no fortified food. a blood test last month showed that i have a protein level above average... (i don't eat much soy products, but a lot of beans and nuts....)

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
well i never eat fake meat or anything or dairy or eggs and i hardly ever eat nuts. although ni try to eat some beans and peas a few times a week. i drink soya milk in my cereal everyday but that's about it. i am going to the doctor tomorrow so ill ask him then.

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
Good luck hedgefrog. I hope your doctor is veg-friendly. (i.e. If something's up he'll recommend supplements rather than meat.) I hate seeing the doctor/dentist/medical dude.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts