VeggieBoards banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://gizmodo.com/5880768/amazonian...urce=pulsenews

Quote:
We use polyurethane to make just about everythinggarden hoses, furniture, the entirety of my local 99-cent store. It's easy to produce, durable, and dirt cheap. What it isn't is recyclablethere isn't a single natural process that breaks it down. That is until a newly-discovered Amazonian fungus takes a bite. Pestalotiopsis microspora (not shown) is a resident of the Ecuadorian rainforest and was discovered by a group of student researchers led by molecular biochemistry professor Scott Strobel as part of Yale's annual Rainforest Expedition and Laboratory. It's the first fungus species to be able to survive exclusively on polyurethane and, more importantly, able to do so in anaerobic conditionsthe same conditions found in the bottom of landfills. This makes the fungus a prime candidate for bioremediation projects that could finally provide an alternative to just burying the plastic and hoping for the best.
This is such an awesome discovery. I hope that it is utilized in a safe way that doesn't lead to a killer fungus devouring cities

·
Ex-*****
5,391 Posts
That sounds promising. I wonder whether the carbon will be released as CO2 or simply stored in the mushrooms? I hope for the latter, since that would be better climate-wise than burning the plastic.

In general the biological sciences seem to have lots of promising solutions to the environmental problems created by industrialised society.

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
Derrick Jensen talked about this (and other amazing things about mushrooms) in his book Dreams. This is awesome!

·
Registered
6,793 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Werewolf Girl View Post

http://gizmodo.com/5880768/amazonian...urce=pulsenews

This is such an awesome discovery. I hope that it is utilized in a safe way that doesn't lead to a killer fungus devouring cities
Considering how much polyurethane there is in the world, not just the cities, I think the only things that will survive are the North Pole and the South Pole. Werewolf Girl, you find the coolest stories. I want to know if you're on Tumblr or some other site that says, "Check out these cool stories and share them on VB."

·
Premium Member
16,664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purp View Post

Considering how much polyurethane there is in the world, not just the cities, I think the only things that will survive are the North Pole and the South Pole. Werewolf Girl, you find the coolest stories. I want to know if you're on Tumblr or some other site that says, "Check out these cool stories and share them on VB."
Haha, I don't have a Tumblr account but my boyfriend does and I browse now and then. I find stuff in a bunch of places when I'm surfing while bored at work, sometimes I just Google stuff.

But mostly I get things from two places, I have "liked" a bunch of awesome pages on Facebook, veg*n or otherwise, so every time I check my news feed there are a bunch of interesting stories there and I just pass them along. This story was just from a Facebook link.

And also, reddit. I find a whole bunch of stuff there. It's awesome, literally millions of links to neat things and various subreddits including some veg*n ones. http://www.reddit.com/

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.