VeggieBoards banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just found this amazing idiot on You Tube... enjoy...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89Z3QgQsqvU&feature=related

She has disallowed comments. But you can rate the video.

I just noticed this response underneath her video which I thought was a great answer.
`An apple or a piece of lettuce do not have central nervous systems. In fact, fruit and vegetables do not constitute the entire plant- indeed plant structure has evolved to depend on animals eating fruits/seeds and disseminating them through elimination.'

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
She is saying that people only follow veg*ism because it is a new trend. It doesn't make any difference so no point in being veg*an.

I now that right now one way I can make a difference is to not buy animal products. I want to create demand for non-cruelty products.
As far as I see it. Meat industry is consumer powered. If less demand for the products, shops will gradually stock more cruelty free stuff, if there is a demand for it.
She doesn't want to damage the farmers livelihoods by stopping buying their products.

She actually brings up that eating an apple could be causing it pain. Quote from video.. `we are considering animals as more than an apple, more than a piece of lettuce, really??'

I think she is just trying to justify going back to eating meat. She is replacing her vegetarianism with this new monetary system she talks about.
But to say that we can't make a difference right now sounds silly to me.

I'm new to all this, but am I correct in thinking that she could get plenty of iron etc by eating, for example, spinach.
But she seems to think that it's all a waste of time because vegetarianism made her anaemic?

What does she propose that we all do right now instead of not eating meat, that will help reduce animal abuse right now.
The whole system may need changing. But right now we can just reduce demand for the products and create demand for good alternatives.

It sounds to me like she went vegetarian for the wrong reasons. It was her that actually saw it as a trend to be a part of, not other people.
She actually mentions wanting to feel like an activist a few times in the video.

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelterHelper View Post

I'm new to all this, but am I correct in thinking that she could get plenty of iron etc by eating, for example, spinach.
But she seems to think that it's all a waste of time because vegetarianism made her anaemic?
A poorly planned vegetarian diet could lead some women to a higher risk of anemia. For instance the popular opinion that eating spinach will give you enough iron. She should have researched good science based plant nutrition, such as this article. A lot of people with little to no concept of nutrition dive headlong into a vegetarian lifestyle, and end up crashing and burning. Some people believe this is why most people who try vegetarian eventually go back to eating meat, currently. It wasn't a vegetarian diet that contributed to her anemia - it was more likely poor nutrition planning on a vegetarian diet.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Looking back I think it was perhaps a bit of a harsh title to give this thread.

To be honest. It annoys me when people have personal problems with a veg*an diet and then try to turn against it completely and tell people they should be eating meat and veg is just a waste of time. Why can't they just say it didn't work out for them and explain why?

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
I like the thread title. She's not an idiot, but an "amazing idiot". Like, she could be in a circus alongside the bearded lady and just amaze onlookers with her feats of stupidity.

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
I don't know if I go as far as call her an amazing idiot, ignorant yes. I didn't have time to watch the whole thing yet... but my initial impression was that she got convinced into vegetarianism by an AR activist (hence the religion reference) without also being given any other information on how to eat properly and that yes... humans really are made to survive and thrive on a veggie based diet.

·
Registered
8,743 Posts
I do find her to be an idiot - inarticulate, ill-formed thoughts, selfish, arrogant. See 3:35. When I watch and listen to her I'm disgusted by her really. She seems to think a lot of herself. I'll bet if she were shoved in a veal crate or had to live her life in a battery cage a lot of her pseudo intellectual rationales would fall away.

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irizary View Post

I do find her to be an idiot - inarticulate, ill-formed thoughts, selfish, arrogant. See 3:35. When I watch and listen to her I'm disgusted by her really. She seems to think a lot of herself. I'll bet if she were shoved in a veal crate or had to live her life in a battery cage a lot of her pseudo intellectual rationales would fall away.
Yeah I'll finish it up later, I could very well change my mind, lol.

·
Registered
8,743 Posts
I wonder if the cult that convinced her to get the hare krishna shave told her that eating meat was good?

She seems to be challenged thinking for herself and doing research.

·
Registered
8,743 Posts

·
Registered
8,743 Posts

·
Registered
668 Posts
Whaaaaat???? Well, I guess she's entitled to an opinion. But.... you know what they say about opinions. They're like a**holes, everyone has one and they all stink.

Laura

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irizary View Post

I do find her to be an idiot - inarticulate, ill-formed thoughts, selfish, arrogant. See 3:35. When I watch and listen to her I'm disgusted by her really. She seems to think a lot of herself.
Seconding this. I didn't know how to criticize her while seeming even tempered (I was going to make a joke about chemotherapy) so I'll defer to your comment.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts