VeggieBoards banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I came across this suggestion in a recipe book that randomly appeared in our kitchen a few weeks ago. Happened to have some cordial so I tried it out and it was AMAZING! A perfect summery drink to make up in a big jug and have at a BBQ or in the garden on a sunny afternoon!

Ingredients (for 1 glass - multiply if you're making a jug!):
a few mint leaves
lime wedge
few brown sugar cubes
apple juice
elderflower cordial
lots of ice

How to:
Bash the ice until it's in small pieces the drink ends up half way between a drink and a slushy to give you an idea how much ice you need! I found it best to double up plastic sandwich bags, dump the ice in and bash with the end of a rolling pin!

Put the sugar cubes, mint leaves and lime wedge in the bottom of your jug or glass and bash these up a bit too. The juice from the lime should soften the cubes a little bit.

Fill the glass or jug with the crushed ice and pour apple juice over. The recipe said to use 50/50 apple juice and neat cordial but I found a 90/10 ratio was better - the cordial wasn't cheap and I didn't think the extra added to the taste at all! So! 90% fill the glass/jug with the apple juice and then top up with the cordial. Give it a stir to mix everything together and enjoy!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Before trying this recipe I'd only ever had elderflower presse in cafes! Definitely going to have to get another bottle next time I go shopping! =)

·
Banned
27 Posts
Made to Mary Manners' family recipe, from an infusion of freshly picked elderflowers and lots of fresh lemon juice, this has a delicate taste and makes a wonderfully refreshing drink when mixed with still or sparkling mineral water.
Belvoir Elderflower Cordial makes sensational spritzers with white wine and sparkling water, or add a dash to enliven a gin or vodka and tonic.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts