VeggieBoards banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How does someone incorporate amaranth and quinoa in a raw food or fruitarian diet? They are high in protein, but to my understanding they need to be cooked. Is there any way to eat them without cooking them? I also read that amaranth and quinoa are not true "grains", so are they acceptable to a fruitarian diet?

·
Banned
1,524 Posts
You could mill it (or buy it milled) then mix it with water and drink it - sort-of like an atole. Not sure how enjoyable it would be, though. You might try it in a smoothie.

·
Registered
1 Posts
There is no real tasty way to eat them raw. They are so healthy, however, that the local raw food restaurants serve Quinoa all the time. It is steamed; however, prior to being steamed it is soaked so that it is sprouted and that changes the composition from just using the dry grain. Soak in water first (I can't remember how many hours, but I'm sure somebody will know that) and then steam the grain. It's healthy, even if not technically raw. Most raw foodists I know incorporate at least a small percentage of healthful cooked foods into their diet.....

·
Registered
487 Posts
You can sprout both of these. Quinoa is great sprouted. I like it's mild flavor versus the cooked taste.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Today I decided to start eating more raw foods and I read some recipes that called for sprouted quinoa----but how do I sprout it??

What other grains can I sprout?

·
Banned
97 Posts
Whenever I cook red heirloom quinoa, it sprouts when I cook it...like a survival mechanism response to heat. It's interesting!

It's one of the few gluten-free grains, one of the few I will eat on occasion

1 - 6 of 6 Posts