VeggieBoards banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I am new to being vegetarian- 6 mths now. I do not know much about the fake meat substitutes available and am in a small town so it limits what I can buy at local health food store-though they can order special items if I knew what to ask for. I am wondering if there is a fake beef type substitute? Like a roast beef type? I want to make fake shredded beef and bean burritos . Also I wonder is there a fake chicken product out there that I can make casseroles with? I have only been able to find fake friedor breaded chicken so far and that would not work in my Mexican burritos or casseroles.I am hoping for these items to be canned not frozen since all the frozen ones I find are fried or breaded and I want a fresh type product to use in recipes.I guess I am looking for stuff that resembles uncooked meat?Does that exist?I am already using Morningstar Grillers and Boca products ,nutritional yeast,TVP - the stores have that at least and I found some fake bacon and ham but really would love if you guys could help me with the fake chicken and beef if it exists! Thanks,Tammie

ps sorry so long!

·
Registered
4,965 Posts
Welcome, bettyspaghetti!
I don't know of any faux shredded beef products, but you could use Boca or MorningStar Farms burger crumbles, which is faux hamburger. Even though it's not exactly what you want, it should work just fine. I use it in chili, spaghetti, tacos, etc. I'm vegan, and these products are two of the few that are. Congrats on going veg!

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
Faux ground beef is relatively common, though I've never seen faux shredded beef.

Look for LightLife or Yve's veggie ground round products. I add them to spaghetti all the time.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Try this for chicken:

http://www.vegieworld.com/h005/h005.htm

They used to have beef chunks that were made out of mushroom that would shred perfectly because of their texture. They were like stringy chunks. They would have been perfect. But they don't have them on the website. I know we get them when we go to the store. You may want to call them and ask them to send you Veg. Beef Chunks. The small bag is item #A006 and the large bag is item #A005. Small bag is $3.25 and large bag is $5.95. I'd say you'll get one to two servings out of the small bag and two to three servings out of the large bag. Maybe four. These products are frozen but not breaded and fried.

I work a lot with the products so if you have any questions, feel free to PM me.

Valerie

·
Registered
0 Posts
I use a lot of TVP chunks in place of chicken in recipes. It's relatively inexpensive, absorbs flavors well, and doesn't get stuck in my teeth

I don't know about shreds, though.

pav

·
Registered
2,631 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by epski

Faux ground beef is relatively common, though I've never seen faux shredded beef.

Look for LightLife or Yve's veggie ground round products. I add them to spaghetti all the time.
i also use Yves and lightlife products .. they have chicken breast patties , chicken strips and breaded nuggets and all have worked wonderfully in everything i have tried.. i have not found a shredded beef style, but i did have kalebone at a vegan resturant that was very much like roast beef.. it was YUM!

When you freeze and then thaw and drain Tofu it has a chicken type texture.. all you do is

remove tofu from it's package. wrap tofu in a non lint type towel then place between a few books. allow the tofu to drain for about 20 mins. once drained put the tofu in a freezer safe bag or container. freeze for a couple of days and then thaw. once thawed drain again. you will have to season it for the flavor you would want.

i use tree of life tofu that comes already with a chicken like texture. i believe it may be shipped frozen..

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
When I finally got around to freezing tofu and thawing it, I was glad I did, but it seemed to me to be flaky like fish, not like chicken. Fortunately it doesn't acquire a fishy smell.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts