VeggieBoards banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7,669 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macylee36 View Post

I saw something in another post that made me think that maybe the food that goes into pet food is not so good. Is this true? Is there something I'm missing?
a lot of dog food is corn based, and dogs don't digest corn hence bigger poop. Havoc's poops are very small compared to his size. He's about 128 lbs and I have seen pugs put out more poop than him.

A lot would depend on what type of pet you are referring too, but also remember the concept of pre made pet food (dogs/cats) is a pretty new concept.

·
Registered
12,079 Posts
Wow, this is interesting. My son just spent the last few days at a shelter where he is adopting two cats. He had a conversation about corn vs. wheat and was told that wheat based dog food was bad and corn was better?!?!

Unless he got it backwards...he does that sometimes!

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
I feed high quality dry food (innova, wellness, nutro, chicken soup for the cat lovers soul are all good brands, there are more) and high quality wet food to supplement. They all have meat as the first ingredient, and innova actually makes a grain free dry food, which I feed when I can get it (the store runs out all the time so I feed their other dry food the rest of the time).

I wont say it's cheaper but it's better for my cats and in the long run they'll probably have less health problems. Their litter box also smells much better without all those fillers and bad stuff.

·
Registered
6,850 Posts
Nearly all food you buy in the grocery store or at Target is "not so good." It's full of animal by-products and cheap fillers, i.e., wheat and corn. Cats especially shouldn't be eating a lot of carbs, yet most cat foods are full of cheap carbs.

The premium brands do cost a lot more but I figure I'm saving money on future vet bills.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Commercial pet food, especially really cheap stuff is not so good. I highly recommend this book:

http://www.amazon.com/Food-Pets-Die-...5282759&sr=8-1

The book talks about the ingredients that go into pet food (sometimes roadkill, or other pets), rendering plants, and how the government regulates (or doesn't) the pet food industry.

I feed my cats human-grade or organic cat food, and a little fish, meat, chicken, turkey, or buffalo. My vet says to give them crunchy food alongside some ground meat (2-3 parts crunchy to 1 part meat), and he recommends Purina Pro Plan, Eukanuba, Science Diet, Royal Canin and a couple others. I disagree with him about the Science Diet and I prefer organic and human-grade food, but he says these brands have an on-staff veterinarian so they'd know more about animal nutrition.

BTW, male cats shouldn't eat fish too often as it can give them urinary tract problems, but I don't like to give them fish anyway because of the mercury poisoning and PCBs.

·
Registered
7,669 Posts
actually in the wild animals will eat the organs first: heart, liver..... raw meat would be better than cooking especially if giving dogs bones to chew on.

I would not recommend a diet of organ meat only for a domestic animal since too much is not good.

Cooked bones become brittle and splinter and can rip and tear on their way through the system.

·
Registered
7,669 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SummerSn0ws View Post

Commercial pet food, especially really cheap stuff is not so good. I highly recommend this book:

http://www.amazon.com/Food-Pets-Die-...5282759&sr=8-1

The book talks about the ingredients that go into pet food (sometimes roadkill, or other pets), rendering plants, and how the government regulates (or doesn't) the pet food industry.

I feed my cats human-grade or organic cat food, and a little fish, meat, chicken, turkey, or buffalo. My vet says to give them crunchy food alongside some ground meat (2-3 parts crunchy to 1 part meat), and he recommends Purina Pro Plan, Eukanuba, Science Diet, Royal Canin and a couple others. I disagree with him about the Science Diet and I prefer organic and human-grade food, but he says these brands have an on-staff veterinarian so they'd know more about animal nutrition.

BTW, male cats shouldn't eat fish too often as it can give them urinary tract problems, but I don't like to give them fish anyway because of the mercury poisoning and PCBs.
not overly impressed with Science Diet, though for some dogs with diet issues it can be the best choice. However, for a healthy canine it would not be my first choice.

As for cats: I am not a big cat person, I have nothing against them, but I haven't had one in a lot of yrs so am not really up on cat diet.

·
Registered
6,902 Posts
I'm kind of paranoid now after this recall. I feed my cats Nutro mostly the natural choice dry for indoor cats, but some of the pouches (none of mine were recalled, thankfully), and some of the cans. I am thinking about making my own cat food. Maybe not permanently, but just to try out. I could get meat at the food co-op where they buy it from organic local farms at least.

Any ideas how to do this? I don't want to deprive them of any nutrients.

·
Registered
7,669 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thalia View Post

I'm kind of paranoid now after this recall. I feed my cats Nutro mostly the natural choice dry for indoor cats, but some of the pouches (none of mine were recalled, thankfully), and some of the cans. I am thinking about making my own cat food. Maybe not permanently, but just to try out. I could get meat at the food co-op where they buy it from organic local farms at least.

Any ideas how to do this? I don't want to deprive them of any nutrients.
probably try a web search for raw food for cats I just got at least 10 pages of links on yahoo search.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.