VeggieBoards banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
439 Posts
My father had Alzheimers disease for five years coupled with Parkinsons diease falconbrother.. and it is indeed a very terrible illness which overtakes not only the sufferer but the family too and I would not wish it on anyone.

The video making interesting viewing.

·
Registered
6,850 Posts
I don't know if there are any natural treatments that actually work for Alzheimer's too well, but I think there are things one can do diet wise to help prevent it in the first place.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have been doing some followup reading. It seems that many medical professionals agree that coconut oil is a good preventative and treatment for alzheimers. It ups your HDL and feeds the brain with ketones when the brain has stopped being able to receive sugar.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Thank you for posting this. My father, brother, and I currently care for my grandmother who has Alzheimer's. In the years that we've been here with her, we've seen a major decline in her condition, and it's very sad. Perhaps the worst part is that she used to be so confident and independent and has had all of that stripped away by the disease. It's extremely tragic.

·
Registered
10,324 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by happyhippy View Post

My father had Alzheimers disease for five years coupled with Parkinsons diease falconbrother.. and it is indeed a very terrible illness which overtakes not only the sufferer but the family too and I would not wish it on anyone.

The video making interesting viewing.
It really is emotionally and mentally tolling to watch someone suffer like that. It is like a very slow grieving process as you watch the person you once knew slowly fade away only to be replaced by someone unrecognizable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bright Bird View Post

Thank you for posting this. My father, brother, and I currently care for my grandmother who has Alzheimer's. In the years that we've been here with her, we've seen a major decline in her condition, and it's very sad. Perhaps the worst part is that she used to be so confident and independent and has had all of that stripped away by the disease. It's extremely tragic.
Been through the same situation with my grandfather.

To everyone who has been affected by this awful disease.

·
Registered
6,850 Posts
India has one of the lowest rates of AD around and many researchers are giving the credit to turmeric. Some reasearchers also call AD diabetes type 3. And I've read about the coconut oil too. I think years from now they will find AD is more linked to diet than anyone ever thought. At least in older people. Early-onset AD seems to be related to genetics.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yea, I guess you heard about the 2,200 year old mummy that they did an autopsy on. The mummy had prostate cancer. May have been the cause of death but, I can't remember. Nevertheless, the researchers now question the impact of environmental issues and cancer. They basically found that in the time that the person who was the mummy lived there were no "toxins" in the environment. They indicated that they believe that cancer may be more about genetics than environment. I personally believe that it's a mixture of environment and genetics.

Alzheimer's is in my family. My grandfather had it. It was awful. He was in his 80s when he started showing signs. He was very physically healthy when the disease kicked in so, his body lasted a long time with no useable mind. I look like him and feel strongly, genetically linked to him. So, yea, I'm concerned about it. I mix coconut oil in my food every day. My diet, vegetarian, is pretty healthy. I probably eat more sugar than I should. Since I'm vegetarian I don't have much trouble with maintaining my weight so, at some level I guess it seems OK to eat a few cookies and bread. In my mind I know that these foods are high on the glycemic index. Probably bad for Alzheimer's prevention.

I'm 48 now so, hopefully it's a concern that's many years into the future. I wanna ride my Harley till we are both worn completely out and since the Harley can always be rebuilt that's a long time from now.

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post

I don't know if there are any natural treatments that actually work for Alzheimer's too well, but I think there are things one can do diet wise to help prevent it in the first place.
I remember reading that things like playing chess or playing a musical instrument can help prevent Alzheimers.

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Since my mom has Alzheimer's and I've become a caregiver for her, I've been doing a lot of research on the subject and have been especially interested in Dr. Newport's findings. From what I understand coconut oil isn't a cure per se, but by providing ketones to the brain via medium chain triglycerides (MCT) it bypasses the impaired glucose pathways and fires up the brain with an alternative fuel source. As an experiment last weekend I cooked all of mom's meals with coconut oil, making sure she got at least a couple tablespoons a day, and I do have to say that I noticed a big difference in her. She loves playing cards, and I found that after a few days on the coconut oil she was much sharper and back to her old self. This is purely anecdotal of course, but there is sufficient evidence of the benefits of MCT that the FDA has approved Axona as a medical food.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Am I the only one angry that something as simple as coconut oil has a seemingly profound effect on Alzheimers and other diseases of the brain yet this is far from being commonly known or practiced.

a quote from alz.org-
"The Alzheimer's Association International Research Grant Program lies at the heart of our commitment to advance Alzheimer's research. Since awarding our first grants in 1982, the Association has grown into the largest private, nonprofit funder of Alzheimer's research, awarding more than $292 million to 2,000 best-of-field grant proposals."

Almost 300 million to 2,000 labs.. and from what i've found online so far all they've come up with are a few pills that slow down alzheimer's for reasons they don't really understand yet.. and Dr.Newport does a little research and starts significantly reversing her husbands Alzheimer's with coconut oil. On top of that professor Kieran Clarke at Oxford can't get funding to mass produce what she's found to be a far more potent version of what the coconut oil does because it's not profitable?... Something here doesn't seem right, and it supports the idea that pharmaceutical companies would rather give you something to help mild the condition than to actually cure it because there's more profit for them that way.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts