VeggieBoards banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I've been completely vegan for three weeks tomorrow. What I am noticing now, starting yesterday, is that I am consistently very cold. I wonder if I didn't notice it earlier just because it's been between 90-100 degrees for the last week, but yesterday and today it's been in the 70's. Could this be a vitamin deficiency or something? Has anyone else experienced this?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hmm.... my doctor told me that a lack of iron sometimes means that you feel the cold a bit more. But if you've only been vegan for three weeks and you eat pretty healthily, then I don't really think it could be that... not very helpful after all sorry!

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Yes, I think lack of iron could be a BIG contributing factor. I was anemic for a LONG time while anorexic, and cold ALL THE TIME, I was wearing LONG SLEEVE shirts in the summer! But, after I gained some weight back, ate more (including more iron) I was much better. Now my hands are like burning up all the time, I am constantly looking for something to cool them off (i.e. ice freezers at gas stations when I walk by)

·
Registered
2,648 Posts
My (omni) sister experienced this. She was always cold, even in the summer.<br><br><br><br>
She takes an iron supplement now and that has helped her a lot.

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
yeah if you take anything with iron and aren't deficient you could do major damage. after 3 weeks, you know what i wouldn't worry. just pay extra attention to what you're eating, make sure you get enough dark green leafy veggies and whole grains. you're still in the process of creating a new eating routine, give it some time. you might be missing a few things right from the start but you'll get used to keeping track in no time. if it's for only a couple weeks it's easy enough to fix. if you're worried just try to eat fortified foods and soymilk, and in a couple months hit the doctor's office and do bloodwork to make sure everything's balanced out ok if you're worried.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts