VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've eaten these two to the point of saturation.

Given that I'm new to being meat-free, what else can I find that is easy to find in the likes of Tesco, Asda and Morrisons, etc?

I've eaten pretty much all I can find in these ranges and would like to dabble with something different.

Little help?

·
Registered
297 Posts
The best thing to do is try cooking your own food from scratch. It's so easy to do and is so much cheaper.

For instance, I cook a sweet chilli stew which includes parsnips, sweet potatoes, tomatoes, carrots, onions and kidney beans with chilli powder and stock. It's delicious, and once you've cut up the veg, you're free to do whatever you want for the time it takes to cook.

There's loads of recipes in the recipes section of this board. Are you veggie or vegan? Pasta with sauces are really versatile, and sauces can often be made in batches and frozen. Cous cous take minutes to cook, literally. You can either do your own and add whatever you like, or buy ready made ones that you just add water to.

HTH,
Sarah

·
Registered
888 Posts
Redwoods has some pretty good stuff, you can get it from Holland and Barrett chilled section. (also unlike quorn and some LM stuff it's vegan and saw on the other thread you were interested in doing some vegan dabbling
)

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrillia View Post

The best thing to do is try cooking your own food from scratch. It's so easy to do and is so much cheaper.

For instance, I cook a sweet chilli stew which includes parsnips, sweet potatoes, tomatoes, carrots, onions and kidney beans with chilli powder and stock. It's delicious, and once you've cut up the veg, you're free to do whatever you want for the time it takes to cook.

There's loads of recipes in the recipes section of this board. Are you veggie or vegan? Pasta with sauces are really versatile, and sauces can often be made in batches and frozen. Cous cous take minutes to cook, literally. You can either do your own and add whatever you like, or buy ready made ones that you just add water to.

HTH,
Sarah
I do a heck of a lot of my own cooking. Everything from stews, to stir-frys, to bakes, burritos, salads.. ...and everything in between.

I just want to see what else there is out there and what other people recommend.

However, given that I have never cooked cous cous - or EATEN the stuff - what do you think should be the best introduction to it? something simple with some lemon and ginger and a couple of veg? Should I treat it as rice and put a curry on it?

Cous cous me!

Lucky Charm - I have a H+B in my town, so I will definately check that out. Thanks!!

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
If you want good meat-free alternatives, I'd really say head to a health food shop. Quorn really dominantes supermarkets (and IMO it's disgusting!) but there's a LOT of other options at HFSs. Holland and barrett are quite good - depending on how big your store is (they usually hide all the proper food at the back - just a word of warning! I didn't even find it in mine for ages because I wasn't looking), and local health food shops can vary as they're independant.

Otherwise, I shop in sainsburys and they have quite a lot of own-brand meat-free products in the freezer section (sometimes it's called "healthy options" instead of vegetarian/meat free, lol) and they have really tasty bean/nut burgers and lots of other things that are vegetarian (my parents love their potato, cheese and leek sausages!).

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Identity_thief View Post

If you want good meat-free alternatives, I'd really say head to a health food shop. Quorn really dominantes supermarkets (and IMO it's disgusting!) but there's a LOT of other options at HFSs. Holland and barrett are quite good - depending on how big your store is (they usually hide all the proper food at the back - just a word of warning! I didn't even find it in mine for ages because I wasn't looking), and local health food shops can vary as they're independant.

Otherwise, I shop in sainsburys and they have quite a lot of own-brand meat-free products in the freezer section (sometimes it's called "healthy options" instead of vegetarian/meat free, lol) and they have really tasty bean/nut burgers and lots of other things that are vegetarian (my parents love their potato, cheese and leek sausages!).
Oh, excellent!

I have a Sainsburys about 12 miles down the road from me, so I'll have to check that out. And like I say, I have a H&B within walking distance of my home, so I shall look for that.

I would say that I have to defend quorn, though. When I make my food, I like to make sauces, marinades and such. Ginger and Chilli, tomato and basil, sesame seed oil is great... just flavours that soak into the "meat" and make them taste great.

But then, I do like arse-ing around in the kitchen and seeing what happens when you mix this flavour with that one and how it affects the quorn or potato or pasta or whatever it is I'm playing with.

Yeah, go on, I admit it. I'm a kid and the kitchen is a glorified playground.

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
Sainsburys own brand meat free mince is lovely. They have loads of other great stuff too(not just standard veggie burgers). And my local sainsburys sells neapolitan swedish glace..mmm.
As for couscous. I find it makes a great roast veg salad. Just chuck some roasted red onions, mushrooms, peppers, courgetter and garlic at it with a little tomato paste and oil...yum...eat it as a main or side dish.
Thats all I really do with couscous...im sure other people may have better suggestions lol.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Each to their own! Tofu is quite good for adapting to flavours (it's basically flavourless and absorbs it's marinade) so you could try that if you like that kind of thing also, it's easy to cook badly, but when it's done well it's scrummy! (I like it deep fried, not healthy, but deffinatly delicious!).

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Identity_thief View Post

Each to their own! Tofu is quite good for adapting to flavours (it's basically flavourless and absorbs it's marinade) so you could try that if you like that kind of thing also, it's easy to cook badly, but when it's done well it's scrummy! (I like it deep fried, not healthy, but deffinatly delicious!).
You know, I've danced around the issue of Tofu for so long now.

I only ever hear bad or uncomplimentary things about it, but, I suppose it's something I could - and perhaps should - cross off my list.

Maybe if I put a huge chocolate cake on it, it'll be fine.

**ahem**

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
Instead of just cooking the tofu like meat (ie mixing it in with a sauce) why not try making something with it..like eggless quiche?

(ps-ive just added you on tumblr)

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by .Goth-Alice. View Post

Instead of just cooking the tofu like meat (ie mixing it in with a sauce) why not try making something with it..like eggless quiche?

(ps-ive just added you on tumblr)
I guess I could try that! It's well documented that I'm new to all this, so, at the minute, I'm running around a bit aimlessly and treating my new direction like a kid at a fair for the first time.

Perhaps I should just step back, relax and inhale/exhale a few times. ;D

I can't help myself. I'm having so much fun!

Thanks for the tumblr add! I've only got a few posts on there at the mo, but it'll increase with time. Cheers! x

·
Registered
582 Posts
Fry's have a great range of meat subs. Asian supermarkets also have fake meat options, either canned or in the freezer section.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by offthahook View Post

Fry's have a great range of meat subs. Asian supermarkets also have fake meat options, either canned or in the freezer section.
Just a couple of things;

Is Fry's an American company? I've never heard of it.

And when you say Asian, do you mean Chinese/Japanese/Korean, etc or do you mean Pakistani/Indian/Sri Lankan/Bengali, etc?

I've often found that the British and American version of "Asian" differs greatly.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grubnutter View Post

Just a couple of things;

Is Fry's an American company? I've never heard of it.

And when you say Asian, do you mean Chinese/Japanese/Korean, etc or do you mean Pakistani/Indian/Sri Lankan/Bengali, etc?

I've often found that the British and American version of "Asian" differs greatly.
Fry's is from South Africa, but it's sold in H&B and some independents.

In my experience SE Asian stores tend to sell mock meats whereas Sub-continent stores tend not to. Though there are some stores that just generally cover 'ethnic' foodstuffs that the mainstream stores don't.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
OK, so, I've just come back from Holland and Barrett's.

£15 lighter

Yeah, I found the freezer/fridge section and I had my own private disco. It's funny the looks you get when you bust out some moves in a health food shop.

I found the Fry's stuff, but I also found Vegetarian Choice, Tofutti, Granovita and some other stuff, too. Fake meats, pate, cheese... oh yeah!!

Is it ok to have two lunches?

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

And to think I only went in to see what they had. I should really stop carrying my wallet around!

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
I loved Holland & Barrett when I spent a summer in the UK. I found eating as a vegetarian so much easier there, I found myself eating vegan most of the time! Well, except for Quorn. We don't have it in Canada and I miss it!

·
Vegan Very Metal
774 Posts
Why don't you try TVP instead, it's far cheaper than all of these meat alternatives that you've been buying, and you get a lot more for your money.

Those tivall sausages look exactly the same on the packaging as they do when they're coming out of your bottom!

1 - 20 of 61 Posts