VeggieBoards banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been a buyer on Ebay for years and now I'm trying my hand as a seller.

I like Ebay in general, and I'm willing to live with the fees, if I can sell my items without a hassle.

But, it's a huge marketplace and I get the feeling that I may be drowned out.

So my question is, are there alternatives to Ebay that have a decent amount of traffic ("eye balls"), lower fees, and easy set up?

·
Registered
7,014 Posts
A few years ago, I bought a couple of things on Yahoo Auctions, because I couldn't find them elsewhere. And now that I look, I'm not sure if Yahoo Auctions even still exists.

If you just want someplace else big enough for you to be drowned out by a different crowd, and you're selling enough stuff, you could try being a vendor on Amazon. There's probably minimum requirements for that one, though.

--Fromper

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2steps View Post

I used to use ebid when I was selling a lot of stuff online a few years back
Thanks 2Steps. I looked into ebid. The only issue I have is that their PPPay system seemed to only allow transactions in Pounds and Euros.

·
Registered
63 Posts
As one who's been a seller on Ebay for a while and got out before I lost my shirt, I can say your assessment is right on, beancounter. Ebay is not what it was. The ebay stores have pretty much crowded out all the little folks save those who have truly unique stuff that can't be mass produced in china.

Sadly I don't know any place else other than craigslist that you might break even. I don't use craigslist because when I did sales were hit-or-miss, and the buyers typically seemed to have expectations of value far in excess of what I offered which made an actual sale difficult --i.e. they expected me to personally deliver the item in spite of the fact that they would balk at being told to come and get it or I would have to up the price to pay for the gas to get to them.

Depending on what you are selling, you might try just creating your own website and spread the word around yourself because as time goes on Ebay will get worse. They upped their fees twice during the time I was selling, and I wasn't on there all that long.

·
Registered
2,769 Posts
You might try a local Yahoo Group. There are several in my area. Some are "Buy, Sell, or Trade" groups. I have sold a couple things that way.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beancounter View Post

Thanks 2Steps. I looked into ebid. The only issue I have is that their PPPay system seemed to only allow transactions in Pounds and Euros.
I used to use paypal rather than the pppay. Was a few years ago so they may have changed what's allowed but if I remember rightly I stated that I accepted paypal in the listings and then sent the buyer my details after the auction ended

I use Amazon to buy secondhand books more than ebay and my son buys cds and dvd on there as well

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
I hate Ebay. A seller took my money and didn't send my order and they refused to help me.
I use Amazon.com now.

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks everyone!

I've already got a few hits on Ebay and one email requesting more info, so I'm going to see how this plays out.

·
Registered
5,660 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beancounter View Post

I've been a buyer on Ebay for years and now I'm trying my hand as a seller.

I like Ebay in general, and I'm willing to live with the fees, if I can sell my items without a hassle.

But, it's a huge marketplace and I get the feeling that I may be drowned out.

So my question is, are there alternatives to Ebay that have a decent amount of traffic ("eye balls"), lower fees, and easy set up?
I bought an item through this website about a year ago. Don't know much about it, but might be worth checking out.

http://wensy.com/

·
Banned
3,641 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by amhappy1 View Post

I hate Ebay. A seller took my money and didn't send my order and they refused to help me.
I use Amazon.com now.
I have had pretty good luck on eBay. I do pay attention to the seller rating and the negative comments people leave. If a seller has too many negatives or I see a pattern of slowness, I look for another seller.

I hope you left negative feedback on the seller that did you wrong.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts