VeggieBoards banner

Alternative to boar bristle brush

25K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  DooWahDiddy 
#1 ·
I know this sounds stupid, but I never seriously thought these brushes were made with boar hair. So my new brush isn't vegan, gonna have to give it up. However, i hear plastic bristle brushes are too harsh on fragile hair types like mine...what do you guys think? Are there any vegan alternatives to boar bristle brushes? This brush I just bought did a good job at blow drying my hair and smoothing while it's straightened, that's something I look for, as I don't actually brush my hair when it's in its natural state.

Suggestions? Which brushes do you use?

#3 ·
What is your natural hair type? I second the suggestion of finding a wooden comb. They can be very nice and can help cut down on static that you may get with brushes. I have two, one to keep in my purse and one to keep at home and I love them. My hair is naturally fine, flat, and straight though, which makes it super easy to comb. I've found affordable wooden combs at places like The Body Shop, but you can order them online as well.

#4 ·
I have a brush with wooden "bristles" I like a lot. I've seen them at NFS, but I found mine at a discount store.
The ones with rubber "bristles" are good, as well as nylon- the spiky bristles, not the bristle "tufts"

#5 ·
If you want to detangle your hair, a comb is a good alternative. I personally cannot detangle mine at all with a BBB!

However, the best use for a BBB is to clean the scalp of dust, skin particles and oils, which allows one to clean one's hair quite well without having to wash it. It's very common among long hair fanatics and I still have a brush that I use occasionally because I bought it looong ago. I don't know of any other brushes that serve this purpose as well, but if it's not what you're using the brush for, a comb or other brush is a good alternative. A good wooden comb is worth its weight in gold!

#6 ·
When i was looking for a body brush for dry brushing they had some brushes that were cactus and felt just like the BBB. same texture and all. maybe one of those? look in the bath section near the loofa sponges and see. i can't see it would be good for brushing that needs to separate hair but maybe for smoothing hair and distibuting oil after detangling with a wooden comb.

#7 ·
To answer Bright Bird's question...I'm black, I have very kinky hair. If anyone knows about Andre Walker's hiar typing system, I'd be a 4A mostly, with some 3C.

I use a comb to detangle, I dont brush my hair at all really when its not straightened unless I'm smoothing edges of my hair back with gel or something, and even then I usually just use the palm of my hand.

I needed a brush for blowdrying and smoothing over straightened hair. I do like to brush over my skin too though once in a while now that i think about it.

I'm thinking of just getting a paddle brush or a good Denman brush for blow drying. I used to use that for straightening anyway long before my veg days. The boar bristles are the best for hair, though, supposedly. Thats why I bought it. :/

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.