VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is an old newsletter by Dr. Fuhrman. There is an article included regarding raw food diets. I highly recommend current raw foodists read it. There is also an article on longevity in it, which is an added bonus. This newsletter is only given to paying subscribers, but I felt the raw food article was important for you guys to read.

http://drfurhman.com/ols/Newsletters...WebVersion.pdf

·
Registered
8,489 Posts
Quote:
Are there advantages to eating a

diet of all raw foods and exclud-

ing all cooked foods?

Clearly,the answer is a resound-

ing "No." In fact, eating an exclu-

sively raw-food diet is a disadvan-

tage.
I'll be sure to tell that to the people who I know have healed themselves of diseases like MS, fibromyalgia, etc etc.

I see lots of raw food SUPPORT in that article

·
Registered
16,090 Posts
A) I don't see how any one would take the time to read a post that you didn't even bother to format properly. Erase the line breaks, add paragraph breaks.

B) This is a support forum. If you don't have anything positive to say about a raw food diet, post it in the Compot Heap.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Jenna, did you miss the portion of the article that discusses the benefits of cooked soups and steamed vegetables?

Dr. Fuhrman says raw foods are very beneficial and nutritious, but that incorporating steamed or stewed vegetables into the diet as well allows the body to absorb a greater amount of nutrients.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am not trying to be negative at all. I am just trying to put information out there. Some raw foodist might be misinformed. I realize that this article might be controvercial, but I am taking my chances. I think knowledge is the most vital component in nutrition and we all deserve to know the facts. I will support anyone who chooses to eat completely raw, but I want them to make sure they know that eating this way might not be the healthiest way they could be eating. I am sorry if I am offending any raw foodists. I just wanted to let them know that eating all raw is not necessary.

Listen all you raw food eaters, if you want to continue to eat only raw foods, do it, but know that it is okay and beneficial to eat some cooked foods. You will still be in great health.

·
Registered
8,489 Posts
Well, for some (or most who are striving to be 100%) it is necessary to eat all raw. For them, there is a tremendous difference between eating 90% raw and 100% raw.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Purrpelle, the one thing I hate most is when people think I am just out to sell my dad's stuff. You could not be more wrong and I don't know what you have against me. My #1 goal is to help people learn more about nutrition so that they can become healthier, not sell my dad's books. How low would I be if that were the case? People like you are one of the reasons why I am hesitant to tell others that I am his daughter. This has nothing to do with the fact that my father is not the author of a raw food book. He would sell a raw food book if that was a diet he espoused.

·
Registered
0 Posts
I will tell you this:

people who believe what they are told by someone with something to sell without applying any kind of critical thinking are morons.

and you haven't done a lot of posting other than in threads that concern your father, have you?

odd.

·
Registered
6,112 Posts
The article glosses over the benefits of raw and for this thread/for a better response, a balanced approach might be received better.

·
Registered
5,670 Posts
taliaj- I personally don't doubt your motives.
But I think people have their backs up a bit too because many of them have actually done a great deal of research into their diets and health, and may feel like you're being a bit patronizing (i.e. you seem to assume nobody has given any thought to their diet).

You are quite new here, and you did start this thread in the raw food support forum. Being new here, you wouldn't realize that the people who use that forum have expressed that it feels like all they do is defend their choice in that forum. That's not the way the forum was intended to be used; it is a safe haven, a place of support for the raw food diet. NOT a place for somebody to come on and post a bulletin about why they are wrong or uninformed.

Information exchange is a good thing, and I actually agree with you on this one (I am definitely not a raw foodist!) But I can understand why people reacted a bit defensively.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Purrpelle, you don't call this critical thinking? And yeah, I do mention my dad. I think his diet is very healthy and I believe that others would benefit from following it. Have you ever gone on his website, looked at the myriad success stories of people who have recovered from all sorts of terrible diseases, or the many on his member center forums who feel soo much better eating this way? I don't think there is anything wrong with mentioning my dad. Also, I have posted quite a bit without mentioning him. Maybe you should look for those posts. And as I said before, I am not out to sell more of his books for money's sake. I am out to spread his word because I think it will open up the light to many people. Geeze, I only have good intentions in mind and I am sorry that you don't see that. I am not a gold digger out to get money for him like you say. I think you need to examine yourself and why you are really critical of me. Is it because the diet may be too difficult for you to follow? I really don't see any good reason why you have to be so belligerent.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thank you meatless, you are a sound voice. And thank you for being so objective. Yeah, maybe I should have been more cautious and posted this somewhere else. I am sorry all you raw foodists if I have offended you.
That was not my intentions. I simply wanted to open you guys up to a new way of thinking.

·
Registered
5,670 Posts
Thanks, it really depends on the issue (how objective I am).

I know it can be hard to be quiet when you feel you have valuable information you want to share with others to help them. A lot of new vegetarians, for example, have discovered that (the hard way sometimes, when others aren't so receptive).

BTW I referred your dad's web site to my boss today, I think it has a lot of good info on it. She's newly (and tentatively) vegetarian so I was pleased to see most of the stuff on your dad's site backs up what I've been telling her about diet and nutrition for the past year and a half.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by taliaj View Post

Purrpelle, you don't call this critical thinking? And yeah, I do mention my dad. I think his diet is very healthy and I believe that others would benefit from following it. Have you ever gone on his website, looked at the myriad success stories of people who have recovered from all sorts of terrible diseases, or the many on his member center forums who feel soo much better eating this way? I don't think there is anything wrong with mentioning my dad. Also, I have posted quite a bit without mentioning my dad. Maybe you should look for those posts. And as I said before, I am not out to sell more of his books for money's sake. I am out to spread his word because I think it will open up the light to many people. Geeze, I am just a 19-year-old girl who has only good intentions in mind. I am not a gold digger out to get money for my dad. I think you need to examine yourself and why you are really critical of me. Is it because the diet may be too difficult for you to follow? I really don't see any good reason why you have to be so belligerent.
the road to hell.....

heh. a 19 year old asking me to examine myself. grow up. you are going to encounter people who challange what you believe because *gasp* they may actually know stuff.

question: do you know if i agree with your dad or not?

Quote:
Purrpelle, you don't call this critical thinking?
no. believing what you are told without doing your own research is not critical thinking.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Yes, yes, Dr. Fuhrman is an accomplished source, but please, for the love of all things good and holy, let's see some other sources. It's the internet, so free speech runs rampant throughout the series of tubes and whatnot.

Anything can have an advocate. __(Insert something I could advocate here)___ being good/bad/otherwise.

For instance, while doing research on genocide in Darfur, I found an advocate for genocide being good for society. Most of us will agree that genocide isn't a good thing, but there still are advocates out there for it.

Second, I'd love to see more than just one source copied verbatim from Dr. Fuhrman, because I'm always interested in opposing viewpoints to make the best choice for me and my body.

And maybe some of us are being "belligerent" because you seem so pushy of one type of diet that seems to be in your opinion, the only way to live healthy because nothing else could possibly work, even though VB is a very diverse populace of people ranging from hardcore vegans to omnivores wanting to make a positive change in their diets to raw foodists that believe what they are doing is best for them. However you slice it, we're all trying to make a positive change in our lives and diets, which should be the important focus. Most of us don't appreciate having information shoved down our throats telling us what we're doing is supposedly going to kill us down the road.

The bottom line is that I'm willing to bet most people even going semi-raw have been well educated in what they are doing to/with their bodies, and they are aware of any so-called "risks" involved.

To each their own.

(also, it appears some things got discombobulated in the process of posting, so I apologize if it's worded a bit odd.)

1 - 20 of 61 Posts