VeggieBoards banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,852 Posts
That sounds pretty awesome. I think my husband is working like a 20hr shift on Valentines though.
Otherwise I'd probably do it for Valentines. Maybe I'll still do the chocolate martinis...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
922 Posts
I'd love to try Chocolate martinis. I've seen them on a Mexican cooking show and they did look tasty.

What is it about the menu that you didn't like ? I love mole and always add chocolate to my chili.
 

·
Beanitarian
Joined
·
1,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No gin. We used creme de cacao and vanilla vodka.

I hated hated hated the mole. I will never let that mess pass my lips again as long as I live.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,013 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagineaa View Post

No gin. We used creme de cacao and vanilla vodka.

I hated hated hated the mole. I will never let that mess pass my lips again as long as I live.
Jarred mole is not that great, and eggplant doesn't sound like a good partner. I wouldn't give up on it just yet. If you have a chance to give it another chance, I'd recommend another shot it using one of Diana Kennedy's recipes, and using potatoes as the "meat". The recipes are really simple in the long run; lots of ingredients but most of them go into the spice mill. I'd add a little coconut oil, because saturated fat is one of the things that really brings it all together. After that, chocolate moles aren't for everyone. I like them a lot in very small doses, myself.

BTW, I wouldn't recommend jackfruit in a mole - too sweet. It is very tasty and refreshing by itself or with ice cream, though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
922 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by paperhanger View Post

Jarred mole is not that great, and eggplant doesn't sound like a good partner. I wouldn't give up on it just yet. If you have a chance to give it another chance, I'd recommend another shot it using one of Diana Kennedy's recipes, and using potatoes as the "meat". The recipes are really simple in the long run; lots of ingredients but most of them go into the spice mill. I'd add a little coconut oil, because saturated fat is one of the things that really brings it all together. After that, chocolate moles aren't for everyone. I like them a lot in very small doses, myself.

BTW, I wouldn't recommend jackfruit in a mole - too sweet. It is very tasty and refreshing by itself or with ice cream, though.
I totally agree and didn't realise that it came out of a jar. Authentic mole is fabulous. There are many very simple as well as more sophisticated recipes.

I do hope that you give mole a second chance.
 

·
Beanitarian
Joined
·
1,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
OK, ty for the replies.

I was actually vomiting/etc. the next day so it will take me a while to get past the gross memory of mole, if ever. I am associating it with the mole but it could be something else.

Quote:
chocolate moles aren't for everyone
Are there non-chocolate moles? Because I am a great lover of chiles.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,013 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagineaa View Post

OK, ty for the replies.

I was actually vomiting/etc. the next day so it will take me a while to get past the gross memory of mole, if ever. I am associating it with the mole but it could be something else.

Are there non-chocolate moles? Because I am a great lover of chiles.
Yes. The chocolate mole is mole poblano or derivate. Mole means mass, and generally refers to a sauce that has a ton of ingredients. Lots of them are based on pumpkin seeds or chiles and a few on almonds. My favorite is chilmole, which is a Yucatec variety that's mostly toasted-black chiles ground with black pepper, achiote, allspice, and garlic.

If you want recipes most Oaxacan cookbooks have several. Rick Bayless's Mexican Kitchen and Diana Kennedy's Cuisines of Mexico have many. If you google Oaxaca mole you should get some good finds.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
922 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by paperhanger View Post

Yes. The chocolate mole is mole poblano or derivate. Mole means mass, and generally refers to a sauce that has a ton of ingredients. Lots of them are based on pumpkin seeds or chiles and a few on almonds. My favorite is chilmole, which is a Yucatec variety that's mostly toasted-black chiles ground with black pepper, achiote, allspice, and garlic.

If you want recipes most Oaxacan cookbooks have several. Rick Bayless's Mexican Kitchen and Diana Kennedy's Cuisines of Mexico have many. If you google Oaxaca mole you should get some good finds.
His mole recipe is amazing; he made it for an official dinner at the White House. The only drawback is that I can't find all the ingredients overhere.If I rightly remember he uses avocado leaves in his recipe ?

I have the following Mexican cook book and the mole recipes are quite easy to make.

The chocolate flavour shouldn't be overpowering in any dish. I always add chocolate to chili and you really can't taste it. However it contributes to the end result which is gorgeous.

I'd love to learn more about Mexican cooking as the food is so colourful and everything looks delicious.
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top