VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'm interested in how much alcohol we are all drinking...

but most importantly, how we feel about it?!

do you think it enhances or detriments mental health?

how does it fit into your life?

this isn't for anything specific, just my own curiosity!

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I drank 2 Mike's hard lemonaids and 3/4 a bottle of orange flavoured brandy the day I moved all my stuff out of my husband's house. To this day, I near vomit at the smell of either.

I don't like the taste, the smell, the strange feeling I get as soon as it touches my throat. I've always felt like this and never been able to get past it, with exception of above story.

I was brought up to believe drinking lead to many social ills and therefore should be avoided. (That wasn't exactly how it was put, but that's the development of the thinking). It never mattered much because the smell of it is often enough to send me to the bathroom. I can't even eat food that has been cooked in alcohol; I can taste it right off and feel ill.

So, no, it doesn't fit into my life, unless I plan to leave any future husbands!

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
I try to stay away from alcohol. It seems to cause severe deprsion in me. If I drink one or two and get a buzz, I'll want the buzz to stay so I'll keep drinking. By the time I realize that my buzz is here to stay I have drinken way too much. I always end up crying my eyes out and yelling at my finace whenever I drink. I guess I would have to say yes it is detrimental to my mental health. Dave even called the cops once when I was drinking and I threatened to cut myself with a knife and jump off a cliff (which I could very well run too since they are 2 blocks from our place). This is just to give you an idea of how bad it got with me.

I am okay if I have one beer or glass of wine. But that is IT! If I drink, I have to have Dave there to dump the rest of the wine down the drain if I try grabing more. It is sad, but at least I've finally realized that it is better to stay away from the stuff.

Also, recently I've gotten into things such as running races and triathlon and drinking screws up my training scedule. It is a good incentive to stay away from the stuff.

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
I never could figure out alcohol

I used to drink and the next day I'd have a headache and a strange man in the bed next to me.......

Needless to say - I finally gave it up :)

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
good question kat new ....

i am alcohol, drug and smoke free.

my body doesn't need them and i see them as a waste of money and a waste of brain cells.

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
dvmarie...I used to have that same problem.

Actually my marriage to my X was alcohol induced. I have no problems with other people drinking. I just know that I drank for ten years (except when pregnant) and that it really didn't get me anywhere...and I woke up one day and said..."Okay, enough of that." Now I can't imagine drinking. It's been over a year I've been 'sober.' LOL...

I feel a lot healthier though without the hangovers and the just all over sense of swollen groginess that so often accompanies alcohol.

B

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
Contrary to what some of you may believe, I don't drink all that much!! I've been known to drink a lot of booze, which end up with me almost getting naked, or doing something stupid, but that's because when I have drunk in the past, I've drunk a lot.

But I have the occasional beer every now and then.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by with_open_eyes

good question kat new ....

i am alcohol, drug and smoke free.

my body doesn't need them and i see them as a waste of money and a waste of brain cells.

Me too. I agree completely.

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
It takes me a loooong time to drink alcohol. I have to drink *really* slowly to finish something. I probably have 4 drinks a year spread out over all 12 months. I've never been drunk & never intend to be -- I'm something of a perpetual designated driver.

Mskedi

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
I'll drink on Fri or Sat night, if we have friends over to play cards. Three beers is about my limit now, anymore than that and I'll get a headache in the morning. I use to drink a lot when I was younger.

·
Registered
701 Posts
I have a glass of wine with dinner about 3 or 4 times a week. Maybe once a week I have more than a glass. Occasionally if I'm in the mood (if we go out for mexican or something) I'll have a couple beers.

My husband and I have a wine cellar and enjoy trying different bottles and adding to our collection. I really enjoy good wine (or a nice, cold beer) but usually don't indulge to the point of drunkeness. (There are exceptions to the rule though! But they occur maybe only a few times a year)

Oops, I didn't answer the important part. I am very confortable with the amount of alcohol I drink. I think it's neither a benefit nor a detriment to my mental health (no more than any other beverage is a benefit or a detriment to my mental health). If I was drinking to get drunk then I suppose the answer would be different.

·
Registered
674 Posts
I am actually trying to quit drinking and smoking right now.Drinking makes me really depressed for a couple days after and I always end up smoking like two packs of cigarettes when I drink.So they both have to go.

·
Registered
428 Posts
I drink 1-2 glasses of wine or beer 2-3 times a month. Almost always with dinner. Any more than 2 and I'd be asleep. I used to drink lots more in college. I'm happy with my alcohol consumption now. I shoot for quality not quantity.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
how we feel about it?!

-----------------------

Some people have a problem with it. For the most part I tend to get 3 or 4 German beers (500ml ones) every week after I get my work done for the week. I quite like a nice beer or 3
. I Usually stick them in the freezer for a bit (the colder the better)

-----------------------------

do you think it enhances or detriments mental health?

-----------------------------

I don't feel it's an extreme amount and I like it. So no big deal. I just relax at home and don;t go out fighting or driving (don't drive anyway) so no harm done.

----------------------------

how does it fit into your life?

--------------------------

I find it's only good if I'm in a good mood and also if I did some work. If I'm annoyed, it is not beneficial to drink a few beers.

However ....

More than a week ago I had 5 of these beers (500ml each) and a 750ml bottle of red wine one night in like a 3 hour period. I didn't plan to as I bought the wine for something else and only planned on 3 of the beers (I hadn't done something this dumb for a long time). Anyway, that was a huge mistake and I woke up 3 hours after going to bed and didn't feel that great at all . Luckily, I got back to sleep and woke up feeling normal later on.

Usually with just a few beers I don't feel any ill effects at any time and get up feeling fine. I think I'll avoid red wine from now on. I only tried it recently again after years and it tends to give me a mild headache. I haven't located a vegan white wine as I have just been buying the german beers regularly and so haven't investigated the wines much.

I learned my lesson and will go back to moderation

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
There is nothing about alcohol that makes me want to drink it, so I don't plan on doing it, ever.

Funny you bring it up though because last night I had a dream that I took a sip of beer but spit it out to prove to someone that I didn't want to drink it, but when I went home I smelled like beer so no one would believe me that I didn't drink it. I got really upset in the dream but then I woke up.

·
Registered
820 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by dvmarie

I used to drink and the next day I'd have a headache and a strange man in the bed next to me.......
Sounds like me.
I figure I've had my share, so I gave it up about seven years ago, and I haven't looked back.

I finally gave up smoking a couple of months ago, so now I'm totally drug free, except for the caffeine, of course, and I have no intention of giving up the java, ever.

1 - 20 of 97 Posts