1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone...

I am just loving being a Veggie
)

My tolerance for booze lately is very low, had a bit of an experience last Friday after just 2 glases of champagne

Now thinking of cutting it out all together.

ANYONE ELSE THERE WHO IS BOOZE FREE?

·
Registered
140 Posts
I don't drink very often.. usually when I am out for dinner, or with friends. I can go weeks without drinking otherwise though.

Champagne can go to peoples heads much faster than some other alcohol. Wine gets me very quickly.

I could easily go without drinking, but I like it

·
Registered
824 Posts
Definitely booze free. Destructive, expensive stuff with no real benefits. Cut it out ages ago and every day I feel better for it. Better yet, many of my friends have come to realise that it is possible for us to hang out without drinking, and our relationships have been enriched by it!

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the reponses. I get the ones every now and again drinking but then you get those days when you are feeling emotional or you just tired and the alochol knocks you.

Kappa you are so right... its so expensive. I would rather take that money and buy something nice for myself to wear every week. Being booze free I actually realised that my personality is viby enough not to drink in company, I feel more energetic and have more respect for myself.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Drinking was a crutch in my life. The impact not drinking makes is astounding, and the social confidence that I can have continues to shock me day after day. Rather than masking social anxiety, I can force myself to either confront it or face the consequences, rather than adopting a drunken mask.

·
Banned
2,385 Posts
never in my life!

actually it is good you don't tolerate it well anymore. saves money. you can have a bottle of beer and feel like you have been binge drinking :p

·
Banned
1,127 Posts
I'm booze-free, have been for a couple of years. I was never really a drinker, I can count the number of times I've been drunk on one hand, but when I went vegan I could no longer tolerate the liquor. It's not something I make any effort at keeping up, I just have no desire for alcohol of any kind.

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
I never drank, even before I became veg*n. I decided from an early age I wasn't going to become a victim of drug use, and I'll be damned if alcohol isn't the drug with the highest body count of all. It's the "socially accepted" killed drug. Never forget that rules and laws are arbitrary, shallow things, my friend. "Reasons, not rules, make us strong." That's one of the mottos of the xVx. The other one is "Clear eyes. Full heart. Can't lose."

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
At this point in my life...pretty much. I just don't enjoy it anymore. I do have a few beers every now and then, but those are far and few too.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh James xVx View Post

I'll be damned if alcohol isn't the drug with the highest body count of all.
Actually, tabacco has the highest. Alcohol is second.

I don't prefer drinking and when I do, I don't go crazy. I have a similar opinion to Vegan Wannabe's.

·
Banned
3,056 Posts
i don't see an issue with very light social drinking. certainly not on a daily basis. i see so many ruined lives tobacco, alcohol and the western meat based diet. when you really understand the consequences, it's not hard to decide not to do it. these days, if i have even one beer it's a rare event.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
I don't think there is a need to cut it completely if you enjoy it. I am able to drink in moderation. Some aren't. I've never had a hangover and I've never been drunk enough to vomit or black out. I don't really see a problem with relaxing with a gin and tonic every now and then. But it is ultimately your decision. Do what fits your lifestyle.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by das_nut View Post

"And me, I like the sauce."

It's possible to get a high alcohol tolerance while vegan.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Don't drink or smoke, used to do both up until last year. In the five months since I quit both and started going to the gym 5 days a week, I feel 1000000000x's better. I never really cared for alcohol to begin with, so quitting that was easy. Smoking was the difficult part. Glad I gave both up, my energy is through the roof!

·
Rat Queen/Mouse Matriarch
836 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh James xVx View Post

I never drank, even before I became veg*n. I decided from an early age I wasn't going to become a victim of drug use...
This is true for me too. Alcoholism, chain smoking and drug use seem to be everywhere in my family and I just wasn't interested, especially after seeing the results. Used to panic and have flashbacks just from the smell of alcohol due to abuse but I've gotten much better with that and have no issue with those that drink responsibly.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thank you so much everyone. Well my history with alcohol has never been a good one. I can go months drinking nothing or very little but then when I have had an emotional challenge I could go out and totally lose the plot. Alcohol just change my personality - one I dont like.

Since becoming Vegetarian I become more chilled and enjoyed spending time with myself, just doing calm and relaxing things using the money not for alcohol but rather bikram yoga or buying something for myself.

Its very clear to me that I should just not drink at all. At the end we all want to be someone we can be proud of.

Again I think its a personal choice and for me the right one is to 100% give it up.

Dont think I will miss it.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Well, yoga is definitely a better answer to stress than alcohol is, kasandra.
Glad to hear that giving up meat is having such positive effects on your mood, too. I've found that going vegan was what did that for me (being vegetarian, not so much, but I did eat a lot of dairy).

I've also got a lower tolerance for alcohol than I used to have.
Which as has been pointed out, is awesome, because on the odd occasion where I drink, it takes far less alcohol to get me feeling good.
No complaints there.

Have you lost weight since making the transition to a vegetarian diet? I think that's the reason I have a lower tolerance. As a vegetarian I tended to hover around 135 pounds, and found that it took around maybe 4-5 drinks to get and keep me feeling drunk for a good amount of time. Since going vegan I've been at or under 125 pounds. Last time I weighed myself, a couple of weeks ago maybe, I was 118 pounds. At 5'5", that's fairly small, which would explain the lower tolerance to alcohol.
Now a drink, drink and a half, is seriously all it takes. I went to a wedding recently, and managed to stay drunk for a few hours at the dance on just 2 drinks.
Again, that's far easier on the wallet, not complaining.

I don't see any need to give it up, but yeah, I agree with what people are saying here: we're better off not doing it at all or doing it infrequently. If you think life is better without it, by all means. There are other ways to have fun!

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I am also very petite. Dropped 1.5kg when I turned vegetarian. I am 1.52 height and weight 47kg. I think becoming vegetarian made me more aware of my body and what I put into it as alcohol just dont do it for me anymore.

I tried being vegan but missed the milk. Can't face eating eggs anymore, can you SAY FREAK OUT!

I dont know like I said I could be fine drinking and then ones every now and again I totally lose the plot. I think its a part of my personality which dont mix well with alcohol and yes I can stick to one drink every now and again but then I get these emotional days when mixed with booze not even a lot is just a disaster.

So do I want to continue drinking be good and then have these ones in awhile freak outs which is also due to past events.

Or should I just give it up completely cause my personality, I know is corky and funny enough to not need alcohol.

The PRO's is so much bigger in giving it up then the Con's.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
We have almost exactly the same BMI.
I'm just almost half a foot taller than you.

Hmm, it's milk that's the issue for you? For me, it was cheese, especially cheddar (had to have my mac and cheese). Have you tried any plant milks: soy, almond, rice, hemp? I love soy milk, myself. I have a glass of chocolate soy milk almost everyday.

It really does sound as though you'd probably be better off giving up alcohol entirely, at least until you figure out other ways of dealing with your emotions / figure out a way to avoid turning to alcohol when having emotional issues. Don't beat yourself up if you slip up, but yeah, maybe you're better off in general planning to avoid it.
A lot of us like to take it to loosen up a bit in social situations, but you don't sound like you need it for that, so as you say, it sounds like the pros are more on the side of abstaining for you.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts