VeggieBoards banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently, anytime I drink alcohol, my face lights up red and hot, and my ears too! What is the deal??? This hasn't ever been a problem before! I'm freaked out.

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
Solution: Stop drinking alcohol.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by mollycakes View Post

Happens to me too! Are you fair skinned?
Not at all, I'm half Native American and half Hispanic. And its new...I've never had it happen before except the last few times...it is so bizarre. And it kind of fades afterward.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Envy View Post

Usually I drive red wine.

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Limes View Post

That's not realistic at all!
Not for me it isn't!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jentlytread View Post

Don't drink and drive sis!

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:

Not for me it isn't!

Don't drink and drive sis!
Hahaha....
. I meant drink.

·
Registered
248 Posts
I had a friend who experienced this as well. No matter which kind of alcohol she was drinking, she reacted this way.
From about.com:

"Flushing Reactions
Aldehyde dehydrogenase is an enzyme that helps break down alcohol after it is consumed. A deficiency of this enzyme can result in flushing reactions after consuming alcohol. This may include nausea and rapid heart rate. Such reactions can be confused for an allergic reaction, but they are actually more often due to this enzyme deficiency, which is most common in people of Asian descent."
http://allergies.about.com/od/faq/f/alcoholallergy.htm

Quote:

+1!

·
Registered
10,324 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangle View Post

I had a friend who experienced this as well. No matter which kind of alcohol she was drinking, she reacted this way.
From about.com:

"Flushing Reactions
Aldehyde dehydrogenase is an enzyme that helps break down alcohol after it is consumed. A deficiency of this enzyme can result in flushing reactions after consuming alcohol. This may include nausea and rapid heart rate. Such reactions can be confused for an allergic reaction, but they are actually more often due to this enzyme deficiency, which is most common in people of Asian descent."
http://allergies.about.com/od/faq/f/alcoholallergy.htm

+1!
Thanks for posting this. I think that might apply to me also. I also experience hive like break outs on my face whenever I had attempted to drink .

Sorry but I agree with the others to just give up the drinking.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I drank tonight and it didn't happen. So...weird.

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
Sulphite allergy?
You could try drinking organic red wine, cider etc... I used to always become flushed when drinking alcohol until I stopped drinking things with sulphites in it!!

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jentlytread View Post

Drink other things, red wine is the worst culprit. The very worst.

I've heard sulphates, but that could be total bs. All I know is, usually I can drink beer and mixed drinks, but wine sets my face aflame.

Plus it gives me a headache and tastes nasty, so no great loss...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.