VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
1,182 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
well then you right the company and you check to see if it is vegan or not. i have written to molson canadian and they say there beer is totaly vegan

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by with_open_eyes

yeah, that is true ....

as with some juices, a clearing agent is used in SOME wines and beers.

i can't tell you much more than that but i am sure that someone who does drink alcohol should be able to give you more info

you can check this thread and mybe there is something about alcohol is vegan >>> http://www.veggieboards.com/boards/s...&threadid=5259

(someone gave this link about vegan beers >>> http://sbvdesigns.com/veg/veganbeer.html )

Doh! you beat me too it. I have done some research into this and have some others as well. I also have some stuff on wines and spirits that are vegan. I'll look into it but that info is at home and I am at work now

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
I was the resident drunk of vegweb, so for a lot of the british people around, I feel as if it's my duty to tell you all about booze:

Guinness - Sadly, this is fined with isinglass (That's fish bladders) so if you're vegetarian, Guinness is out.

Budweiser - Excellent stuff. Vegan

Some post in the health & nutrition boards detailed alcohol, but the above two are what i follow. I drink bud. Now when it comes to wines, you have no clue what you can or can't have. It took me 2-3 weeks to extract some info off of Western Wines - www.westernwines.com My sister brought in a bottle and said it's really good, so I thought I'd check it out. Three weeks later, I got a letter describing that most (but not all) of the wines are fined using bentonite. (Bentonite is a mineral, and is vegan) It appears that they've made their wine list vegetarian (and vegan!!!) friendly as well since. But anyway, if you live in England, I recommend western wines to you. Very few winemakers will tell you if their wines are vegetarian unless you pester them. I just asked in the comments section of the site "Are any of your wines vegetarian?" and since, On "the wines" section of the site, they've added whether they're suitable for vegetarians or vegans. I dunno if it was my comment that got them to do this, because I'd expect taht I wouldn't be the only one wondering which wines were vegetarian. But anyway, since they do have the info readily available on their website, and despite not trying any of their wines (yet) I'm going to recommend them.

P.S. If there are any other wine makers out there that are pissed off that I'm not recommending you, have some readily available info on which of your wines are veg*n, and I'll recommend you, as long as I'm informed. Simple as that!

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
we had to buy a bottle of wine for guests we were staying with in england and i did see at "the co-op" , the wines were labelled if they were suitable for vegetarians and/or vegans.

that is so cool.

england is so far ahead in their labelling of items

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
Oh yeah, and co-op. They'll label everything that's vegan. That's probably why they kick-ass. Any major retailer will label its vegetarian items, and as too will most products on a voluntary basis, and labelling the vegan items is becoming more popular.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
I generally buy German beers or ones from that region that obey the 1516 Bavarian beer purity law. Currently it states that only 4 ingredients can be found in any of these beers.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by dk_art

I generally buy German beers or ones from that region that obey the 1516 Bavarian beer purity law. Currently it states that only 4 ingredients can be found in any of these beers.
David,

Are you absolutely sure that this covers what they use in the fining process? If so, I would be so VERY happy to be able to drink German beer again, and with an entirely clear conscience!

I live in Missouri wine country (don't laugh--there are some decent local wines), but all of the wineries at which I've enquired locally use isinglass, egg white, or some other animal product in the fining process, so I finally found a California winery online that has vegan wine. I ordered an assorted case to try. I could live without drinking wine
, but I absolutely must have it for cooking!

·
Registered
1,664 Posts

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by kirkjobsluder

Budweiser - Excellent stuff. Vegan

My goodness! I never though I'd hear this form of chilled piss labeled "excellent stuff"!
Words out of my mouth...

Bud = Ick

·
Registered
8,777 Posts
Maybe Bud in Europe is different.

I knew quite a few Germans who LOVED the stuff when I lived over there. Still could never bring myself to try it. Still haven't. Sorry, I'm a beer snob (hey, when living in microbrew heaven, why try anything else?!)

amy

beer & coffee snob extraordinaire

1 - 20 of 51 Posts