VeggieBoards banner
101 - 120 of 418 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Try Saigon Givral on Jasper Avenue at 110 Street NW in the Hardwood Plaza building. They make awesome veggie chicken and veggie beef subs. Shredded carrot, cilantro, and hot chili sauce (the delectable Rooster Brand) plus some soy meat - hot and to go, $5.75 on brown bread. Delicious.

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
I'm a Calgarian living in Kingston, Ontario for school. It's amazing how different the two cities are! In Kingston it seems like I can't throw a stone without hitting a vegan, but I've never met a single vegan in Calgary and not many vegetarians. All my Calgarian friends either "support me but disagree with me" or just outright make fun of me. Good to know there actually are Calgarian vegans, even if they're few and far between!

ETA I haven't read through all the other posts so I'm not sure if this has been mentioned before, but have any Calgarians tried Buddha's Veggie on Macleod Trail? 100% vegan Chinese food restaurant. I miss their dry ribs so much...*drool*

·
Registered
6,887 Posts
Hi beatricious. Welcome to the boards!

I've been to Buddha's veggie restaurant, but I've never tried their dry ribs. I will next time I go, although I do much prefer our new veggie restaurant called 'the coup' http://www.thecoup.ca/

It's the most wonderful restaurant right on 17th ave, and they serve mostly local, organic foods. They play fantastic music, and it's always packed.

The budda bowl with green curry or tahini miso on quinoa is heaven!

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
Ooh, I've heard the Coup is amazing, but I've never been. I also love Open Sesame, have you tried there? It's not vegetarian but you can make your own stirfry, and they have so. Many. Vegetables. Dammit. I really wish I wasn't in Kingston right now.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Buddha's Veggie has changed their hours - check the website. I was there last weekend, the food is still great (Ginger Beef, Crispy Lemon Chicken, Thai Greens) and the place is still busy, go early.

Banff has a great veggie restaurant, Nourish, at 215 Banff Ave, Banff, Alberta (Sundance Mall 2nd floor). Well worth the stair climb. Service is top notch, slowed only by the small kitchen but the freshly prepared meals are well worth the wait, try French Onion soup was great. Vegan Meals abound.

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
Just to announce - I went to the Coup in Calgary for the first time tonight (which is shameful - it's been open for like two years and I'd never tried it). It. Was. Amazing. I almost felt faint. Make sure to try the tahini-miso gravy, and the dark chocolate fondue (vegan!) is amazing, too.

·
Registered
6,887 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by meatless View Post

Hey Synergy, can you tell beatricious if there's anywhere locally she can buy Merry Hempsters vegan lip balm, or the Alba vegan lip balms?
'Course!

I've bought Merry Hempsters at the Community Natural Foods downtown. I've never actually seen the Alba ones there, but I haven't looked very hard either.

Beatricious, glad you liked the Coup!!! Did you have the Tahini-Miso gravy with the Yam Wedges, in the Dragon Bowl or on a Messy Jane? (All three ways are delicious, BTW!)

I also love Open Sesame. It's one of my favorite restaurants, and it's so cheap!!!! The decor is amazing, and so is the food. I like to bring my staff there for meetings.

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
Hey synergy! I actually live in Kingston most of the year for school, so unfortunately I'm far away from Community Natural. I bought some lip balm by a company called New Inc at the one in Chinook, and then basically lost it right away. Argh! I did buy some Crazy Rumors lip balm online, hopefully that'll fuel my lip balm addiction!

I had the gravy with yam wedges, and also piled it on top of my portobello mushroom burger. Yummm. I got back to Kingston yesterday and I already miss the Calgary restaurants!

·
Registered
6,887 Posts
Beatricious, you'd better look me up next time you're back home!!!

I went to the Coup yesterday for lunch with a girlfriend after a yoga class, but they were closing in 5 mins, so we opted for take away. I had their 'Messy Jane'

It's a tofu scramble with roasted veggies on Foccacia Bread covered with Tahini-miso gravy and a side salad.

The portabello burger is the only thing I haven't had on their menu, but I plan on correcting that soon!!!

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by meatless View Post

beatricious, I'm in ottawa. do you ever come this way?
Actually my mom was born there and my grandpa still lives there, so we usually go to visit in the summer. We stay in Gatineau mostly, but come into the city often to grocery shop etc. I never really go to Ottawa while I'm at school, though. I should probably visit my grandpa once in a while, but...I'm lazy and poor.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Bua Thai (Jasper 114st) and Boun Thai (Jasper 108st) both in Edmonton have some decent Thai food, each provides a special vegetarian section on the menu.

I tried the red curry at Boun Thai (No shrimp, I checked) it was pretty tasty, just hot enough, but way too much tofu for my liking, I will try next time to get all vegetables.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Mmmmm... Thai.... I miss having a good Thai restaurant. There was one right beside my apartment that closed and I haven't found a replacement.

Anyone know of any good vegetarian Thai places in Calgary? (and by anyone, I more or less mean you synergy
)

·
Registered
6,887 Posts
Well, as a matter of fact I do

Chili Club Thai house is fantastic. It's close to you, on 11th ave and 5th st SW, in the same strip mall as singapore sam's, mac's and Canadian Pizza Unlimited.

It has really good veggie thai dishes, including an evil spicy jungle noodle dish

There's also The King and I, which is bigger and a little more expensive, but very good- fantastic curries. It's actually further down on 11th ave, just east of 8th street, across from Safeway,and right next to Brewsters.

101 - 120 of 418 Posts