VeggieBoards banner
21 - 40 of 418 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
I'm in Calgary too.

Nice to see a few more Alberta veggies.
*happydance*

I'm Lacykitten, aka Lacy (how mundane!) and I'm the freaky orange-haired chick that harasses Calgary groups to come to the dang vegan/vegetarian meetups. *twitch*

Look me up if you're in town. Or live here. I want to meet more veg*ans because I know.. like.. none, socially, except my best friend who lives in Sylvan Lake.
I meet a couple via Meetup and at Soar/CARC events but.. that just doesn't cut it. I wanna socialize!

·
Registered
0 Posts
Hey Dan!

Hey Lacy!

Wow vegetarians and vegans everywhere! It's time for me to do a happy dance too

Dancing broccoli...only on a veggie board

Thanks for the input on the stickers...i keep seeing too many "I still love alberta beef" stickers on people's cars. Ugh!! You know, everyday I go to the U of C and I see this van parked in one of the lots. It is one of the vans for this group called Active Living or something like that and on one side of the van they have an Alberta Cattle Commission advertisement professionally sprayed/mounted/whatever with the same message as the stickers you see on cars.

It just makes you wonder what people are thinking when they do things like try to promote a healthy lifestyle whilst maintaining (what appears to be) a very healthy relationship with a biased and incredibly unhealthy interest - the Alberta Cattle Commission. Obviously they care little about people and more about keeping their wallets filled with a healthy stash of cash. Poor, poor fools

I'll let you all know when the stickers are done. Sorry that I can't make it to any of the vegan meet-ups. I work on the weekends during the day

Take care all,

-Beth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peebs View Post

Hi Beth,

I like those ones.

Also maybe "I (Heart) (Alberta Map) (Cow Head)" and the under the whole thing it could say "so I stopped eating them!"

~Dan (yeah, me from SOAR)

·
Registered
10 Posts
I love Alberta Carrots too!
I have often thought about that bumper sticker!

So, yeah, I've started a new veg group here in the city. Our first event is at Mt. Everest Nepalese restaurant on Nov. 5th. We have just formed and are in the infant stage. We're just letting things go as they go and taking it one event at a time. There are a lot of ideas floating around. I know we will be successful. Our vision is to create a group based in education, support and community. Non-judgement is key too. Different people become veg for different reasons and they are all good reasons!

If you'd like to be on our mailing list, please e-mail me and it shall be done!

Hoping to see you and all your veg mates soon!!!

Peace.

·
Registered
0 Posts
i know a couple people that are veganish, but not strict, hardcore about it.

Did you know that 4% of Canadians are vegan?!?! Last year, CTV ran a special on "what Canadians eat" and that'w hat they said. Lots of vegans around hehe.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I've started a new forum for Calgary and area Veggies.

http://www.lacykitten.com/vego/board/

If you're interested, there's also NewCalgVeg, the new vegetarian group of Calgary.. which has it's own section of the board. You can join that group by sending an email to [email protected]

There are various groups and events in Calgary, I'm hoping to get them all on board with this so it ends up a big community board!

Thanks!

·
Registered
0 Posts
FYI

Full Vegetarian/Vegan

Calgary: Buddha Veggie, best in the province

Edmonton: Padamandi, full on VEGAN

Edmonton: Oriental Veggie House, great meat analogs

Good veggie offerings can be found at:

Edmonton: Tropica on Calgary Trail

Edmonton: Jaipur Palace on 34th street

Edmonton: Haweli, Downtown near the Boardwalk Market

Veggie Groceries and cool soy products can be found at (I might have this wrong) East China Market, on 101st avenue and ~65th street. I can check this for sure if anyone wants.

I am trying to find more, but pickins are slim in Cattle Country (yee-haw!)

If you know where to go, tell us. If I see enough I'll put up list on the web of friendly places.

·
Registered
6,887 Posts
A new veggie restaurant opened in calgary in november called 'The Coup'. It's on 17th ave.

Anyone tried it?

·
Registered
0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sketchy View Post

FYI

Full Vegetarian/Vegan

Calgary: Bhudda Veggie, best in the province

Edmonton: Padamandi, full on VEGAN

Edmonton: Oriental Veggie House, great meat analogs

Good veggie offerings can be found at:

Edmonton: Tropica on Calgary Trail

Edmonton: Jaipur Palace on 34th street

Edmonton: Haweli, Downtown near the Boardwalk Market

Veggie Groceries and cool soy products can be found at (I might have this wrong) East China Market, on 101st avenue and ~65th street. I can check this for sure if anyone wants.

I am trying to find more, but pickins are slim in Cattle Country (yee-haw!)

If you know where to go, tell us. If I see enough I'll put up list on the web of friendly places.
I've found that almost all places in Edmonton are extremely accomodating and often have very good offerings. Vegan is a bit harder, but vegetarian? No excuse here at all.

In Edmonton, you can purchase many vegan and vegetarian things at the standard grocery stores - Safeway, Save on Foods, Sobey's. For nutritional yeast, you have to go either to Planet Organic near Whyte or The Big Fresh on Jasper and ~120 st. Beyond that, I buy Braggs, Bob's Red Mill items, vegetarian appetizer platters, and more at Sobey's.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kristadb View Post

For nutritional yeast, you have to go either to Planet Organic near Whyte or The Big Fresh on Jasper and ~120 st.
they also sell nutritional yeast at Roots Organic market, on the corner of 112 st and whyte.

i agree edmonton is a very veggie friendly city. went to oriental veggie house not too long ago and was pretty disappointed with the food though, so i'd have to agree with the original poster that buddha's veggie in calgary is the best in the province. although there's also a veggie house in china town in calgary that is pretty good. padmandhi in edmonton is also great.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
I am from Montreal. Just have some curious questions here. Surprised to hear about Vegetarians/Vegans in a province where Cattle Industry is very strong. Are there a lot of Vegans/Vegetarians in Alberta and sorrounding Provinces ? Why do people in these Provinces giveup meat ? Do they get enough support for going meatless ?

Thanks.

Vijay

21 - 40 of 418 Posts