VeggieBoards banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6,902 Posts
I discussed this with another person, and we thought it was a good thing he died this way, so that his death wouldn't be dragged into the death as either support or opposition for his diet.

I wonder which of his collegues will take the reigns.

And best wishes for his family.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
That's a good point, Thalia, although I'm sure there will be people who see a headline saying that Dr. Atkins has died and will immediately begin proclaiming that it was due to his diet without ever reading the article.

·
Registered
0 Posts
I've already heard people saying that his death proves that you shouldn't bother with dieting since you could always end up tripping on the sidewalk and bumping yourself off.

People will always read into things what they want to.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
Actually, my inside sources tell me that he died due to health reasons and that the news story is just a cover-up.
j/k

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
Well, I guess we all end up dying someday. i just hope that other vegetarians aren't celebrating this. I know that soem out there will be, but to be honest, death never is a thing to celebrate. And it's good that he dyed from an accident rather than heart attack, because that would mean all the anti-atkins critics would jump on the case, and that would be quite tasteless. I remember that a few anti-AR people jumped on the case when Linda McCartney died from breast cancer, saying how animal experiments could have saved her life etc... I found that a little tasteless. I hope that PETA and other vegetarian groups can leave him to rest in peace, without mocking his death.

Anyway, my interpretation of this story is that life is too short to diet. Unless you're morbidly obese, accept yor body, because a life spent counting calories at every meal is a wasted life IMO. I've always noticed how fat people who accept themseves are nearly always very happy people.

Anyway, he had 72 years of life, and that's quite a bit, so at least he got a lot of life to play around with. Some people aren't that lucky. He may have used that life making a controversial diet plan, but I'm sure he has a lot of friends and family who loved him. And whilst Dr Atkins wasn't top guy #1 for most vegetarians, and i'm sure he was pretty low on most of our lists for people we like the most, I'm sure that we can all feel sorry for the guy.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts