VeggieBoards banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to start a thread on airline vegan food.

I've had it on British Airways, KLM and Northwest.

Now here's the deal. Rate the food you've been served on a scale from 1-6.

British Airways: I've flown with them only once, in 2000, from London to NYC. Only bad thing about the flight was the movies. Great service, modern aircraft, great food. Steamed veggies in a delicious sauce as main course, soy ice cream for desert. The second meal was a delicious sandwich with some soy "meat" in it. I give 'em a 6!

KLM: Flew with them from Amsterdam to NYC in December. I just can't remember what exactly the main course was, but it was quite tasty. Some weird kind of white pudding for desert. It was a bit "rubbery" and there were raisins in it. Anyone knows what that is? Some Dutch specialty, perhaps.. I give them a 4.

Northwest: NYC to Amsterdam. Cold rice with cold veggies on top as main course. Fruit salad for desert. "Pirogies" as the second meal. It was some hot veggies thrown in a tortilla. I give this one a 1!

·
Registered
504 Posts
The last 2 times I went to Vegas I flew with Continental (a 5 hour flight). Both times I was given a vegan Amy's burrito (for departing & returning flights), which is pretty good. I was impressed, since I expected maybe just a salad with Italian dressing. Once they gave me a cookie with it which wasn't vegan, but the other times they did give me a vegan one. The cookies weren't too good, but I was so impressed they even had them. I give them a 5

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I fly Alaska Airlines and have been surprisingly impressed with their vegan selections (both in coach and 1st class- where I am fortunate enough to sit most of the time).

On one trip I was served steamed carrots, celery, and onions with a very well flavored couscous. It was sooo good. They also served me a salad with lemon juice. Fresh fruit for dessert.

Other trips I have had tofu dishes, pastas, and so on.

I give all the airline food I have had a 6. It is actually what I look forward to when I fly.....especially in 1st class.

·
Registered
478 Posts
It's hard for me to say really, since it's been a while since i've done any flying .. but here goes..

LTU - i've flown them quite a bit, between orlando and Germany. They've given me some of the most disgusting looking, unidentifiable looking crap for "food" i have ever seen. That is, if i even get my requested meals! The flight attendents have a habit of being incredibly rude on LTU .. Though there were a couple times i got fresh fruit. so I'll give 'em a 2.

US Airways - friendly staff, good food, and for the most part, no problems getting it - excepting for the one time they gave my breakfast to someone else and i got stuck with the ovo-lacto breakfast which was mostly cheese (goodness! who on earth eats that much cheese in one sitting in general - let alone for breakfast?!). I'd give 'em a 5.

·
Registered
765 Posts
I fly Virgin Atlantic from New York to London several times a year and their vegan and vegetarian meals are always decent (they do know the difference between them, too!). Plus they have a great selection of movies - they must have at least 50 to choose from, as well as TV shows, music, and video games. Also, you can send text messages to other people on the plane

·
Registered
507 Posts
I only flew once while being veggie, but I remember finding it interesting that they gave me a vegan meal while I only asked for vegetarian (ovo-lacto at that time). I don't remember what it was, but it was tasty

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Hmm, most recent:

BM flight to manchester: They didn't have the damn veggie meal I had ordered so 1 for that, but one of the stewardesses gave me her veggie sandwich so the flight crew get a 7

Varig - loads of flights: Excellent! 9 points. All meals were def. veggie, and twice seemed vegan. They were all rather tasty and balanced. They also looked appetizing.

BA: 9 points.

I was on the flight for 12 hours, so naturally I had several meals. There were no mistakes and again they were tasty and balanced.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
American has pretty good food, although on my return flight I forgot to request a veggie meal and got chicken instead. However, there were good side dishes and a great dessert-- the 2nd best flan I've ever had. But I'm not vegan, so when I ask for a vegetarian meal and I get a vegan one, I'm kind of disappointed-- I would have missed out on the heavenly flan!

Northwest has the absolutely worst. Their veggie meal was *dry* raw zucchini and yellow squash in a *dry* powdery pita with some mustard. Yummm.

Continental and US Air, somewhere in the middle.

·
Registered
828 Posts
I didn't know most airlines had vegan food. Do you have to request it ahead of time? On Air Canada they had a vegetarian snack (yellow pepper and zucchini pizza, yum), and two entrees, one was vegetarian. So...8

Varig also had a veg. option and served fruit. I give them a 7.

I took Mercator from Sao Paulo to Asuncion, and it is a Paraguayan airline, they had only meat dishes, and no one who spoke english. My dad's chicken was really hard and over cooked, so I give them a 1. I had a bun and fruit. Luckily it was a short flight.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Air Canada has about 15 different selections, including vegetarian Asian-style, vegetarian - strict (no eggs or dairy), vegetarian - kosher, fruit salad, etc etc

When you book online, you get the entire list of meals. When you book through the airline or an agent, make sure they make note of the meal.

And for your omni friends, tell them to order the general kosher meal.

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
I flew Delta from NE Ohio to Atlanta, GA, to Savannah, GA last spring. The flights weren't long enough to warrent a meal, so they only had pop, fruit juices, and snacks. They did have several prepackaged vegan cookies, and I was impressed. However, they somehow ended up slicing open the vinyl suitcase I had borrowed from my mother that I had checked. Next time I fly, if I can at all, I'm not checking ANYTHING. I don't think I'll be able to get all neccessary stuff to Spain for a semester, though, without checking a few bags.

·
Registered
8,777 Posts
Alaska/Horizon - kickass!! I give these guys a 6. Their snacks are even organic! Totally awesome.

Southwest - the worst snacks ever. Not vegan, and you don't get a choice. The snacks are junk. I give them a -0-

America West - I wouldn't know. Every time I fly on them, I request a vegan meal & even call 24 hours in advance to ensure that it's all set up. Then, when I fly, they *always* forget. After the 3rd time this happened, I finally started bringing my own food on the plane.

British Airways - 4. I got buckwheat pancakes once and they were horrid. Sawdusty. But the rest of the time, it's been ok.

Quantas - 6. I got a fresh veggie sandwich both times I flew them, and it was superb! Yummy.

United - I give these guys a 6. Their food is awesome. I have had both lacto/ovo veg and vegan food on their flights and have always enjoyed the food. They do a great job, they have never made a mistake, and it's always quite tasty. Even their cookies are vegan. Then again, I love United and am hoping they survive the bankruptcy thing. After Alaska Air, they are by far my favorite airline (especially when flying internationally!).

Delta - 4. The food is usually really salty and leaves me hungry. And half the time, it's cold when it shouldn't be.

amy

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.