VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
4,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tonight I ordered Chinese food from the local place, where they have always assured me no animal products mix with the vegetarian dishes. I found beef in my dish- and whats worse, is that since it was a tofu dish, I put it in my mouth and chewed, though I didn't swallow it. I am realllly upset. Someone please hug me! I feel like my veganism is completely compromised and tainted and I am so sad about it. YOU GUUYSSS, I am still a vegan, right?! It was totally an accident and I am so grossed out by it.

lovenlight,

linz
:sad:

·
Registered
0 Posts
Hugs to you, Rainbowmoon.
And yes, you definitely still are a vegan! These things seem to happen to everyone at least once, unfortunately.

·
Registered
4,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ah, tell me some of your experiences folks! I have mild OCD and sometimes I have a hard time letting thing gooo......

·
Banned
1,045 Posts
heh.. just last week i found a piece of chicken in my tofu veggie bowl that i ordered at this restaurant i love. oh well, life goes on. and it will go on for you too rainbowmoon!
i won't tell anyone...

·
Registered
0 Posts
Here's mine-

I ordered a vegan burrito from a local mexican restaurant. I've had it many times before, so I bit into it without thinking twice. Suddenly, I realized that a strange but familiar taste was in the burrito and I discovered that there was a hunk of beef in it. Needless to say, I haven't eaten one since. Still makes me shudder when I think of it. Blech! I will not let myself feel guilty about these things, though, because it was something beyond my control.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Being Chinese, I refuse to eat the "monk food" from a local Chinese diner where my hubby goes frequently----- I don't trust Chinese folks on washing the pot after a beefy stir-fry and before my tofu stir-fry. Not that I am degrading them, I just know them too well

Last Friday when we were eating at the Indian buffet, I over heard this Indian lady told another customer "sorry we don't have ranch dressing, this is a vegan diner......" I was just abou to jump up and hug her.

Linz,
you are a solid vegan.

·
Registered
4,557 Posts
I found a couple pieces of bacon in a fruit plate. I put them to the side and finished my fruit, but that's me.

This was not at a Chinese restaurant. I wouldn't trust *any* restaurant to keep meat and non-meat separate. I've worked in too many kitchens. There's no need to go slandering the Chinese.

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
Of course you're still vegan!

I love mexican food. I use to go to a mexican restaurant and order veggie fajitas. One of the waitresses there recognized me and knew my order by memory. It always came to me right. The last time I went, it took longer than usual. She told me the cook had done it wrong, so she made him redo it. When it came to me, I had total confidence it was vegan. Well when I bit in to a piece of steak, I found out differently. I couldn't bring myself to swallow it and my appetite was ruined. I was totally grossed out.

Don't feel too bad. It happens to most of us at some point or other.

·
Registered
4,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It was upsetting me particularly because my aunt was here, going on and on about how I will never stay vegan, her daughter went through that vegetarian stage, and *blahblahblah* I hate that. Why does everyone assume this is a stage?!?! I guess I don't have enough faith in myself!

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
That sucks. It's so hard to eat out when you're vegan and eating at a non-vegan place. I'm so worried about cross-contamination, I can tell almost immedietly if something came in contact with a non-vegan item (what a wonderfully sensitive system I have- I won't go into further detail). I wouldn't eat there anymore, and I would explain to them why they've lost your business. Don't worry, you're still vegan!

·
Registered
4,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Lol, I was upset and my Mom- a total omni- got all mad and called them for me. She's like " I am a vegan! And I ordered this tofu...dish...and I found beef in it!" and the guy offered her a free meal, so she said " I don't want it, because I won't ever eat there again!"

My Mom telling anyone off= funny.

lovenlight,

linz

·
Registered
0 Posts
linz, You are still TOTALLY vegan. Eating meat accidentally, when you had no reason to think there was meat in the dish, does NOT count!

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
linz -- that was so sweet of your mom!

And, yeah, of course you're still a vegan, silly. Some things are beyond your control.

·
Registered
2,631 Posts
we had a local restuarant lie to us repeatly that their beans and rice were vegan.. hmm turns out it is not true and our daughter who has been raised vegan had eaten there.. that would be the only animal product she has had.. i was pissed when i found out the truth. they even have those on their vegetarian menu... jerks..

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
when i worked at pizza hut i asked the cook to make me a personal sized cheeseless veggie pizza for me for my break. she used the same scoops for the toppings that she used for every other pizza made that day. there was bacon allllllllll over my pizza. i didn't notice til i took a big bite and swallowed. when i showed her and asked for a new one she got mad. SHE got mad at ME

i don't understand why everyone asks if they're still vegan after things like this happen though. it was beyond your control and dwelling on it will just make you feel worse. just say "hey it wasn't my fault and i'll look more carefully before i bite from now on"

i'm known to inspect my pizza really closely before i even touch it nowadays. it's a pain but necessary *sigh*

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
Why wouldn't you be vegan. It wasn't your choice. If someone put a gun to my head and said "eat that steak in front of you," I'd eat it. Doesn't mean I'm not still vegan.

Sorry you don't get more support from others, but that's what we're here for!

·
Registered
787 Posts
Good grief, that's not a problem. Give me your arm, I'll cut it off, then you'll have a problem.

This is one time I agree with epski.
Alert the media!!

Jeffer

P.S. Unless maybe you secretly enjoyed it!!

·
Registered
4,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
NOO! It was GROSS, and I think there was something up with the whole dish, because this morning my stomach was profoundly UNHAPPY with me.
I will definatley be more careful when I order out!! Its going to be hard when we all go on vacation soon. I am gonna starve!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts