VeggieBoards banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really need to vent!<br><br><br><br>
My brother-inlaw is getting married this weekend and I hate his wife to-be. I don't believe in using the word hate towards people but for this woman I have now problems or quips using it. She is just a Scab on the face of society. She's very "Corporate" and likes to make others feel less because of the tax bracket they're in. I understand that I have no power over this situation and that is why I feel helpless and want to cry every time I think about how I'm going to be related to this person for the rest of my life. It has taken my six years to cut all the negative people out of my life and now I'm going to have this thorn in my side for eternity. She's just awful and evil and the complete polar opposite of everything I stand for. I can't even go to the wedding because I'm afraid I'll be struck down by lightening for being a hypocrite.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Okay, first off, what is your relationship like with your brother-in-law? Do you like him? If you truly care for him, you will put aside your feelings for the woman that he loves and try to be supportive of him. One of my closest friends married a man who I believe to be the biggest a-hole to ever walk the earth. She asked me my opinion of him and I was honest with her. But I also told her that, whatever my feelings for HIM were, I love HER, and will always be there for her. I went to their wedding, and have babysat many times in the 5 years since for their two wonderful kids, who I adore.<br><br><br><br>
You'll never be able to completely cut all of the negative people out of your life. When you've "cut" one, another will crop up. How you deal with it is your choice. If you care for your brother-in-law, going to the wedding doesn't make you a hypocrite, as weddings are about 2 people, and you could at least rationalize it by saying to yourself, "at least he's happy, so I'm happy for him."<br><br><br><br>
I'm sorry you dislike her so much. I know that makes family functions really hard, but you may just have to avoid her as much as possible. Trust me, you do not want to be the one who starts a rift in the family. Good luck with whatever you decide!

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Firebird,<br><br><br><br>
I appreciate your opion and responce. To answer your question, my relationship with my brother in-law is: I like him, I don't necasarily agree with everything he does, but I don't see him very often and were are not that close and my husband is not that close to him as well. We're hippie, they're coporate. We don't agree with a lot of stuff.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
What about in a casual way, asking your brother-in-law what he loves about this woman?<br><br>
By not going to the wedding you're probably hurting your brother-in-law more than you're making a statement. Is it worth it?<br><br>
It's great that you've gotten the negative people out of your life but this woman sounds like she's here to stay so it will be a lesson in tolerance. Just be respectful. It will mean a lot to your brother-in-law.

·
Registered
230 Posts
That is a hard situation .. but if you don't see them very much then it shouldn't be too bad to deal with. I agree with AuroraLily in that you should definitely go to the wedding.. it's their day after all not yours. Just try to stick it out for now and maybe one day you can find something in common with her!<br><br><br><br>
I did not like my brother in law one bit .. the loser that my sister married without telling anyone.. but now whenever I see him I just am very cordial to him but not interested in actually talking to him, so he got the hint and treats me the same way.<br><br><br><br>
Good Luck!

·
Banned
10,763 Posts
littlebut writes: "We're hippie, they're coporate."<br><br><br><br>
That's a ridiculous shallow reason not to like someone.

·
Registered
77 Posts
<div class="quote-container"><span>Quote:</span>
<div class="quote-block"><i>Originally posted by soilman</i><br><br><b>littlebut writes: "We're hippie, they're coporate."<br><br><br><br>
That's a ridiculous shallow reason not to like someone.</b></div>
</div>
<br><br><br>
Her post doesn't indicate that as a reason for not liking them. It states that they're interests and philosophies differ, and therefore they probably don't have a whole lot in common. In fact, she said she does like her brother-in-law.<br><br><br><br>
~NS~

1 - 7 of 7 Posts