VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have decided as a family to go vegan. Soon all our dairy products will be gone from the fridge. This morning I woke up looking forward to our gourmet coffee we have every single morning. I grind the beans myself, I put them in the french press, I get the water as hot as I can without allowing it to come to a boil, otherwise I throw away the water and start over again. We use only the highest quality gourmet beans from the coffee shop. You get the idea, we really like our coffee and we are picky.

What are we going to do for creamer???? We have been using the flavored creamers up until now! Help! I want to make sure I can keep my husband on board for this too, so I really need to find a suitable replacement for this.

·
Registered
7,858 Posts
you don't like your coffee black?

I didn't used to either. I started drinking my coffee black well before I went vegan because it was such a pain to keep fresh milk in the house. Now I can't imagine spoiling the taste of coffee by diluting it with milk (although I do occasionall like flavoured syrups in it
)

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenna View Post

I don't drink coffee, but I did a quick search and came up with these:

http://www.silksoymilk.com/Products/SilkCreamer.aspx

http://www.vegparadise.com/news24.html
This company has hazelnut creamer! Our favorite flavor!
Our local grocery store has a very nice health food section. We will be going there today to look for this creamer, thank you very much for posting the links! When people come over, I always make them coffee. Maybe I can sway them to soy products by using them in my gourmet high quality coffee? That would be cool!

·
Ankle Biter
9,333 Posts
The silk creamers are wonderful!

Rice milk is very good, too - it has a twinge of sweetness in it.

·
Registered
7,858 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppy View Post

Rice milk is very good, too - it has a twinge of sweetness in it.
I have rice milk in my tea.

Also, occasionally I have soy milk in my coffee. I don't understand why, but if you add soy milk to coffee it seperates and if you put the milk in first and then add the coffee it doesn't.

·
Registered
7,858 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by karenlovessnow View Post

Before giving up dairy I needed half n half or heavy cream in my coffee!!

I now use Silk creamer. Also, if you can find it, there is a heavy cream substitute called alpro soya. I can only get it online. I can use rice/almond milk in tea, but for coffee, I need something more substantial (and fattening!).

http://www.veganstore.com/food-items...age_3/624.html
I didn't know you had Alpro products in the USA!

I am in total freakin' love with Alpro. I buy pretty much Alpro EVERYTHING.

·
Registered
3,875 Posts
What kind of flavored creamers do you use? Are you into the Vanilla flavor? Hazelnut? Caramel? Cinnamon?

I adore my one cup of coffe a day... it's just something I love. We also use very high quality coffee, love the french press, and spend probably about $15 a week on coffee at home- for my one cup.

My suggestion: Just try, with an open mind, some silk or other soy/rice/almond milk and some natural replacements. That creamer junk is filled with synthetic stuff.... that has been proven to kill rats. Yuck!
Plus, it just doesn't belong in your very expensive coffee. So check out some plain silk, or vanilla, and add what you like in the way of a simple syrup or grind. All the stuff you loved before you went vegan, you can still have, you just have to find a way to make it naturally, and healthy

Good Luck! And don't worry...

·
Registered
9,260 Posts
I recommend Silk Creamer very highly. In some coffees, it does not taste the same as milk creamer and in others, you won't notice. Either way, it always tastes good. Carnation makes a soy creamer too.

·
Registered
9,260 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by isowish View Post

I have rice milk in my tea.

Also, occasionally I have soy milk in my coffee. I don't understand why, but if you add soy milk to coffee it seperates and if you put the milk in first and then add the coffee it doesn't.
Silk creamer is not the same as pouring soymilk in your coffee fortunately.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlet View Post

based on the title of this thread I'd say you should lay off the coffee.
THUD<---Sound of me falling out of my chair and hitting the floor as I faint from shock at the very idea...

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
OK veggie brothers and sisters, the soy coffee creamer rocked!

And you know what, it was actually a little cheaper than the usual coffee creamer we buy!

·
Registered
157 Posts
Rich Products coffee creamer or Rich Whip, sometimes available in the freezer or fridge section, is vegan by accident. Pretty good stuff. In fact, FYI you can often find it in the little half-n-half containers at diners too, so if you see Coffee Rich on the package it is vegan.

·
Banned
3,851 Posts
Caffeine is a bitter alkaloid C8H10N4O2, and a phycoactive drug.

A psychoactive drug or psychotropic substance is a chemical substance that acts primarily upon the central nervous system where it alters brain function, resulting in temporary changes in perception, mood, consciousness and behavior.

Get real!

Just because 80% of the American population is addicted to it, that doesn't make it right.

·
Registered
3,875 Posts
Awesome!!! Glad you found something you like
I am not about to give up my coffee either so I sympathize. When I went vegan it was one o fthe first things I "converted".

·
Registered
283 Posts
When my sister went vegan after being vegetarian for a little bit she was at our dads and made homade oatmilk. Its was gross so please try Silk creamer lol! I drink mine with just soymilk or black. Soy icecream is really good in coffee too.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts