VeggieBoards banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a recipe for tofu fa which calls for 1/2 packet of agar-agar to 1/2 gallon unsweetened soymilk. How much agar-agar? It is a custard/pudding texture.

No one sells packets around here... It's all 'bulk' packges at our local store.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's beginning to look like that is the one I will try. I had some agar left over from a Vegan "Champagne Gelatin" recipe and wanted to give the tofu custard a try but it looks like the no agar version so far.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
What are you planning on using the tofu for? These are strange recipes -- tofu is coagulated soy milk (using calcium sulfate or magnesium chloride), not soy milk gelled with agar or thickened with starch.

I've never seen packets either, but to gel 2 cups of liquid you usually need 1 tsp. of agar powder.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Tofu fa is a custard.

The recipe is a Asian Custard using soymilk.

Tofu pudding is out in this case. If you are thinking along those lines.

It is for a special base of a recipe I am working with that requires that type of custard.

It is also called taho, kembang tahu, dohau, dofu nao, dofu hwa, tawa or dau hu depending on where in Asia you are.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.