VeggieBoards banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<p>My doctor, whilst impressed with my excellent bloodwork, has suggested I drink a cup of coffee in the mornings to ease the headaches I've started waking up with lately. I thought maybe it was the pillow ( that I haven't changed for years and never bothered me before ) or hunger ( but my dinners see me through just fine ) but she feels it's just low blood pressure and that a cup of coffee in the morning would balance it out.<br><br>
I don't drink coffee! I do like the taste and am willing to start but is this a bad idea? Has anybody else STARTED drinking coffee for health reasons? Is it bad for you?<br>
Not into labelling foods but still...<br><br><br>
 </p>

·
Super Moderator
8,957 Posts
<p>Whoa, never heard that one before!</p>
<p>I had always had naturally low blood pressure, and once decided to give up adding salt to foods. My doctor told me to start, because it dropped quite a bit. I had always had coffee in the mornings, though.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I'd get another opinion. Coffee doesn't "balance" anything, it would only effect you after drinking.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I will say, when I get a really bad headache, black coffee does open the blood vessels, along with aspirin. Those are the ingrediants in OTC migraine pills--caffeine, aspirin, and, I think, either acetominiphin or ibuprophen.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I'd get a new pillow first! I did, and it's amazing! Long, and squishy.</p>

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
<p>Thankyou! <br><br>
Penny, I drink tea in the morning and the afternoon ( green tea makes me sick for some reason! Some sorts of black do as well. Very sad! ) and I work out a little ( less than I used to. Now it's mainly walking, the occasional jog and yoga. Trying to slow down after a hectic decade ! ). <br><br>
Silva, I'll look into the pillow thing, thanks! Although it hasn't changed and I didn't used to wake up with these so i doubt it's that. I eat a fair bit of salt already but maybe I should increase? <br>
And yup, coffee always helps my headaches ( I used to get migraines but when I ditched the dairy they went away ) .. maybe I SHOULD give this a whirl irrelevant of the mechanisms behind it ( blood vessels / blood pressure etc ) . I just don't want to be sleepless. The rest I can tolerate but after being an insomniac til this year I refuse to give up sleep! <br><br>
Guess I won't know til I try, eh? <br><br>
:) </p>

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
<p>As a side note though I should add that different strokes seem to work for different folks and I'm an absolute junky for dark chocolate but more than a very small amount makes me feel a lot more jittery, nauseous and sleepless than my rare cups of coffee do. <br>
Life's weird like that. </p>

1 - 5 of 5 Posts