VeggieBoards banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My brother in law and my sister came home today with a tiny Pomeranian they found left in a kennel by an air vent at their church. It's unknown how long it's been in there, but it was covered in its own mess, and hungry. We have it outside for now, with a clean kennel (in case it wants to go back in for security), a towel to sleep on, a bowl of food, (it ate half already) and water. It has no problems with the other dogs, not bothered at all, but growls and backs away from any human.<br><br>
My brother in law has been giving it treats, not to it's face, but it's beginning to eat them faster and faster, with out waiting for him to be completely gone. I'm heart broken that anyone could ever do that to any living being, let alone a poor defenseless dog. It's right now sleeping under the grill, and has seemed happy there.<br><br>
This is my first experience with a rescue, so what I'm asking for is any advice? How can we gain it's trust? Make it happy? I hate that it has to live outside right now, but we can't clean it, and don't want the kids to get bit. I'm so heart broken over this poor dog, and all i want to do is run up and cuddle it, but that is out of the question for now.

·
Registered
4,026 Posts
If the dog is not fixed, you may want to schedule a spay/neuter and get that done asap just in case he/she escapes. You don't want to miss the opportunity to reduce pet overpopulation if you can. And you don't want to send this little dog into a backyard breeder situation or worse. So fix 'em!<br><br>
While at the vet, you can have the dog scanned for a microchip. If the dog doesn't have one, it's a good idea to get one. You can register the chip in your name for now and then transfer it to a rescue group later if you plan to foster this dog and not adopt.<br><br>
Now... you are probably required to make a good faith effort at finding the "owners" before you're legally allowed to adopt the dog or relinquish him/her to a rescue group. But it's sort of up to you since no one goes around regulating that.<br><br>
In my experience, for a dog like the one you've described, if you put any significant effort into finding the owners it's just going to turn out to be bad news. I have had two terrible experiences that make me say that. In the future, if I find a dog and there are no tags or microchip, I'm not putting any more effort into finding the "owners." Personally, I won't do any more newspaper ads or flyers.<br><br>
Just think about it. How does a dog get to be in the condition you found him/her in? Without tags or a chip it's very unlikely anyone is caring for this dog properly. Almost all good dog owners these days know to chip their dogs. If the dog came from a shelter or reputable breeder then it got chipped there before it was adopted out. A dog without a chip - who is also matted and abandoned, well that's almost certainly a case of people who bought a pet store dog and didn't care very much about him/her.<br><br>
Plus, when you go around telling people about the Pomeranian you found - especially if it's female and unaltered - some evil people will come out of the woodwork claiming the dog is theirs. You may have trouble getting these people off your back. I speak from experience.<br><br>
Thus, I personally think it's a-ok to simply rescue a dog and forget about following the entire letter of the law to track down his or her former abusers. But if you want to follow the law exactly then you should call you local Animal Control and ask them what the law says in your area.<br><br>
OK, back to getting the dog to trust. Just take it slow, give lots of treats. Give the dog the chance to come to you by sitting or lying down. Don't rush it, don't push it. Just be gentle and patient.

·
Impeach the gangster
10,052 Posts
Be patient. It's frightened. Give it time. When it's ready, it will come to you.<br><br>
At least, whoever left it there saw fit not to leave it in a dumpster. Very good luck to you.

·
Herbivorous Urchin
9,717 Posts
What Elaine said.<br><br><br>
I rescued abandoned dogs in Alaska, and their owners aren't worth the air they breathe, and have no right to be near a wonderful animal, ever. It took me an hour feeding an abused sled dog Yves hot dogs to get him to follow me home once.

·
Registered
20,217 Posts
I don't have any advice beyond what was already posted, but I just wanted to say good for you for wanting to help this poor dog, and good luck! I hope he or she warms up to you and becomes a good pet for somebody who cares for this dog properly.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks! The dog was left in a hard case kennel cage, so i'm assuming the owners were hoping that leaving it at a church was like a baby at a doorstep.<br><br>
As for altering it, we don't even know the gender yet, we can't get that close. We don't want to put it in the kennel to take it to the vet yet, as it probably would do more psychological harm than good. =(<br><br>
We have a big fenced in yard, deck, and pond for it to play/live in right now. Our other dogs are inside dogs, so i'm sad it has to stay out right now, but we've been having some freak warmer weather at least.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Update: The dog is now fully adjusted to us, has had a bath (boy did he need it), is cuddling, and inside. It's a he, and isn't neutered. (he was humping a guest today, quite vigorously.) My brother in law named him Thymistocles, but calls him Misty, for short. >_< I'm so happy it's getting happy. We'll take him to the vet soon.<br><br>
Thanks for your help and support!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts