VeggieBoards banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My husband, son and I are moving into a house next month, and we're going to adopt a dog. I found one through www.petfinder.org that we fell in love with. I was e-mailing the fosterdad of the dog, and things we going pretty good, and looking in our favor. The only problem now is there is a $175 adoption fee. We have some many expences moving into our new home, (such as getting a fence built) and I didn't anticipate the adoption costing so much money. At our local SPCA, the cost is about 1/3 of that.

I'm just kinda bummed, the dog seemed so great for us. I'm trying to cheer up, I think we're going to go visit the SPCA this week.

·
Registered
16,090 Posts
I would wait till you're settled in the new house, have the fence built, and have more money saved. Dogs are expensive to maintain, and what if it gets sick right away with a $300 vet bill? $175 is high for an adoption fee, but it really isn't that much considering the cost of getting it spayed, microchipped and vaccinated, plus feeding and housing until now -- often shelters lose money on the adoption fee which is why they rely on additional donations to keep them going.

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We do have money saved, but I thought that $175 is a bit much for adopting. We are going to be setteled in our house before we get our dog, and we have my mom's fenced yard until ours is built (she is going to be living directly behind us). I would not jump into any such situation we could not financially handle.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
Where do you live again? I have a wonderful dog that needs a home, and other than your recommended initial vet visit, it's free to the right home! We're in L.A. as a reminder.

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Epski, but we're all the over here by Philly! (soon to be Delaware). We're looking for a larger dog, like a Rottweiler or Boxer mix. We actually have a friend who's an Humane Enforcement Officer at our local SPCA, and he keeps bugging us to come in and see the dogs. He knows we're responsible people ( I didn't mean to sound otherwise in my first post
) and has been keeping his eye out for a good dog for us.

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
No offense, but it annoys me when people complain about the fee for adoptions. Most rescuers I know make nothing off an adoption fee and it doesn't even cover the cost of vet bills, food etc, so they're basically out of pocket always. Most shelters have a two week health thing where if the dog displays some sort of problem within that time they'll pay for the care. Also, that should include the cost of desexing which isn't cheap. Plus worming and vaccinations (at least the first one, I have no idea how old this dog is). $175 is really not that much.

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
We had an idea of what the adoption fee would be from the SPCA, and I applied that to other rescue organizations. I didn't realize the difference would be so drastic and I'm not saying it's not deserving, it's just not what we are going to spend. If our dog needed vet care, we would spend whatever it takes to get the dog well, just like any other family member. There are plenty of dogs in need of good homes, and we'll be happy to adopt from the SPCA.

·
Registered
16,090 Posts
Just an FYI. Groups like the SPCA and Humane Society often get money from the city or state to help subsidize their costs. Private groups usually don't and that's another reason why their adoption fee is usually higher. But even the subsidies that open groups get aren't much and they still rely heavily on fundraising.

Go for the Rottweiler.
They're one of my favorite breeds and don't often stand good chances in a shelter.

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I was suprised to learn that large black dogs have the least chance of being adopted- that's exactly the type we're looking for.

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Personally, I think $175 is a really reasonable price for a dog, assuming he/she has been altered, vaccinated and given a clean bill of health.

I work at a vets, and know just how much these things can cost. Just an exam alone costs $50+ depending on the clinic. For a neuter, you are looking at about $150+ depending on size of the dog. And vaccinations are $60+. Again depending on the clinic. Some more, some less.

Rottweilers are wonderful dogs. IMO, they have a really bad rap. Every single rottie that I've met have been really sweet and affectionate.

There is a really big rottie at my clinic right now. He was there for boarding, but his owners haven't come back for him yet. It's been about a month. Looks like he's been abandoned. And sadder still, although he's always been a sweetie with me and one of the doctors, he doesn't like the other assistant, and so has been labelled a caution dog. I don't know what will happen to him.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts