VeggieBoards banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thank-you for all of the good advice. After a couple of days, the hunger went away and my knee pain has not come back. In addition, plaque on my teeth has disappeared - without drilling - and an eye twitch that I have had for the past 6 months is gone. This now feels like the natural way to eat. It is interesting to note that I was unable to stay on a vegan program 3 years ago when I made an abrupt switch from meat-eating to no animal products. My body apparently needed to go through a gradual change to the diet. Please suggest cookbooks that offer simple recipies. Thank-you!

·
Registered
12,079 Posts
Vegan With A Vengeance seem to be a popular one. I just bought it along with Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World and the Uncheese Cookbook so I haven't tried anything in it yet.

I also have and like:

Vegan Family Favorites

Authentic Chinese Cuisine for the Contemporary Kitchen (All Vegan Recipes)

The New Vegan

Sinfully Vegan

The Candle Cafe Cookbook

The Vegetarian Family Cookbook

Vegetarian - best ever recipe collection

I would suggest going to a bookstore and browsing through the different cookbooks to see if anything pops out at you that you think you might like.

Or even going online to Amazon. That's where I got most of my books.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Quote:
In addition, plaque on my teeth has disappeared - without drilling
That happened to me, too.

As for cookbooks... I don't even have any myself, so I won't be of much help there.

But here's one I want: Student's go Vegan Cookbook. It's got 135 recipes and I've heard that most of them are really quick and easy.

·
Registered
12,079 Posts
That's very interesting, about the plaque thing....I just made my one year veganversary and my last cleaning was the quickest ever!

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Vegan With A Vengeance is an awesome book, BUT not for a novice cook in my opinion. Isa (the author) uses a lot of things like tempeh, quinoa hijiki, and edamame that I don't think a lot of people are familiar with and which can be hard to find.

I think of all my cookbooks this one is the most user friendly:125 Best Vegan Recipes

It uses common ingredients and most recipes are fairly simple.

There a couple of recipes for stuff like Sloppy Joes which is just a regular recipe for Sloppy Joes only using "soy ground meat alternative". Yeah. I don't think I needed to buy a book to figure that out. But most recipes are a little more inspired.

Having said that, this is a recipe for a salad that rocks but which had fake chicken on it. It would be just as good without.

·
Registered
2,511 Posts
I really like La Dolce Vegan. I LOVE Vegan with a Vengeance but it's more for people who really know their way around a kitchen. Another one of my favorites is the Vegetarian Family Cookbook by Nava Atlas. It's not 100% vegan but most of the recipes have vegan substitutions listed. I think there's only one or two recipes in it that can't be made vegan.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I've found quite a bit of my health problems have gone away simply by changing my diet to veg*n. First my skin seemed to clear up, then the dry scalp I've suffered from my whole life got a LOT better. It's almost completely gone. I haven't had acid reflux/heartburn once since the switch and I used to get headaches/migraines quite often and have had very few since. I'm not saying that this is a miracle cure to all ailments but it's quite amazing what has happened since avoiding animal products. I simply cannot say it has all been coincidence either.

Yay for saving lives and being healthier!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts