VeggieBoards banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As many of you know, i'm not really one to jump on the additives bandwagon. I don't agree with the fact that all sorts of crazy stuff is going into foods, especially when it makes it taste ike crap.

Anyhow, I was checking out the consumer freedom website. (I do this for some reason) and they were disputing the idea that food colourings cause hyperactivity. This article is biased:

http://www.consumerfreedom.com/artic...?ARTICLE_ID=73

Now as a kid, I was very hyperactive, and the one thing that set me off was tartrazine. (E102) Anyhow, i'd just like to get anyone else's opinions on additives in food. Because to be honet, I think they are unnecessary. The above article touts food colourings as a great way to make a product look more attractive, but they can be a problem when they send you hyper, and when they aren't all that good for you. I also find that some additives affect the taste of a product as well. But to be honest, the health implication is what I don't like most. Many additives are unnecessary in most cases, and I'm not suggesting a ban, but perhaps more consumers should demand food without all this crap in it.

I guess this all boils down to the idea that unprocessed food is better for you.

Anyway, what's everyone else's opinions on additives in food?

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
I'm all for minimizing any additives in food. If I see too many additives in the ingredient list, I won't buy it normally.

I don't even like when dried fruit is treated with ascorbic acid (vitamin c) for color. i mean i don't mind that the dried fruit is brown. so what? if that's the natural state, then its fine with me!

I could also live without enriched flours for example. I'm sure I get enough vitamins naturally. but i see the point here (lot of ppl get their bulk calories from flour and they don't eat fruit+veg).

Although I might find some additives for safety OK. Many pathogens like the anaerobic environment in foods packed in oil. But I don't buy many oil-packed items anyway...

I mean I don't really see the point in most additives. I'm not saying they're damaging my health, but i don't have to have them either. so if there's an alternative w/o additives, i definitely go for it.

I think the main need for additives arises when people start eating things that come out of the butts of animals and such.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Additives scare me, they are hard to avoid sometimes in this crazy world but I do my best. I too like food in its most natural state possible. Have you read Fast Food Nation? It has interesting stuff about additives in one part...now I get really nervous when I see 'natural flavours' listed in the ingredients...that could be ANYTHING. At least when they tell you what chemicals are in there you know what you're eating (or really, not eating, in my case).

·
Registered
0 Posts
I don't buy anything with additives unless it's ascorbic acid (vit C) or something like that but even so, i try not to buy anything with additives. i think they are unnecessary and might be harmful for health. i tend to lead as 'natural' a life as i possibly can

·
Registered
5,644 Posts
I don't like additives either. That's why I avoid them like a plague! There are people that would like to have us believe that these additives are not harmful and those that react to them are just "rare incidences". Bulls Hit! If they are so safe then why are we seeing an increase in auto-immune disfunctions (lupus, fibromalgia, ...) and why are the sufferers getting younger? And, why are we having more and more incidences of hyperactivity and nerve/stimulus processing disorders? This can't be concidence!

That's why I like my food as unprocessed as possible and my life as natural as possible. It's much better that way.

·
Registered
0 Posts
DeeYahMK : I totally agree with you.

I'm also into restricting my intake of processed foods, artificial food colorings, and additives. It's best to try to stick to a whole foods diet when possible.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
i try to eat a majority of whole unprocessed foods and 98% organic so there's not much room for additives there.

i hate any label that has too many ingredients in it and try to stick away from them as much as possible.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
In the last 50 years, it has become so accepted to eat whatever you're sold, and customers have helped refine the process by selecting foods that look prettier and cook easier, and taste sweeter--I could keep going--that we're in the situation in which we find ourselves.

Additives in large part are put in food to compensate for the refinement and processing of foods. Refined and processed foods are lacking in nutrients relative to whole foods. So, even if additives are safe (which I do not believe, for the most part), a food that has an additive is likely not good for you anyway.

We should always strive to eat as close to nature as modern food production allows.

·
Registered
828 Posts
I like additives like extra calcium or vitamin B12 in my soy beverage, but if I don't know what an additive is (some hard-to-pronounce chemical) then I usually don't bother with that product.

I was taking multi-vitamins once and they were dyed red, and after a few days I noticed a pattern that every time I took one, I'd throw-up within 5 minutes. Then I took vitamins of the same brand, except they were orange, and had no problems!

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
A lot of the names of these additives make you question whether it's actually food. Most sound like chemicals, and some are.

But I've found that one of the best sources for guidance on what additives are is:

http://www.bryngollie.freeserve.co.uk/Enumbers.htm

These ingredients aren't actually food itself, and don't contribute to nutrition. Some of them are pretty much harmless (Ascorbic acid, AKA Vitamin C is used in some breads.) and some of them are very controversial, such as aspartame. I simply believe it would be better to eat food which is actally food, and doesn't have a thousand additives in it. I don't think that many of these are necessary. The only thing they are needed for is by manufacturers, who want to try and make their food look better, so they add colourings. Consumer freedom is corporate driven, so it promotes this as a good thing, when actually, all sorts of crap is going into food, when it doesn't really have to.

I really do wish that food could just be food, and not food plus crap.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
My oldest son is hyperactive. Colourings absolutely make him go bonkers. I cant explain it, it is almost like he is drunk. It has taken us several years to realize what was going on. He does so much better now that we have cut most of that stuff out of his diet. He has also made the consious decision to be a vegetarian( he is 10, and a VERY smart kid). All three of my kids are vegetarians, but he is actually turning down things at his friends place and grandmas.

Thanks for that additives link, I would really like find out if any of these things set him off as well.

·
Registered
5,644 Posts
I just read in our local papers about some people that are in deep doo-doo trouble because they were putting colorants into salmon to make it more pink. The salmon in question were farmed salmon, and the flesh from them is usually a greyer tone than the "pretty pink" that consumers are used to seeing. They decided to color the salmon with the fake pink so it would look like wild-water salmon and so people would be more inclined to buying pretty pink salmon instead of greyish colored salmon. I wish I had read more of the article before it went to recycle, but just the bit I read makes me want to

And people wonder why I'm vegetarian....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts