VeggieBoards banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
my sister claims it helped her quit smoking for a week. but her pregnancy caused her to quit smoking for the last few months so if you're looking to quit smoking I recommend getting pregnant.

rigmarole

·
Banned
2,612 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by rigmarole

if you're looking to quit smoking I recommend getting pregnant.
HA! Brilliant!!!

I did acupuncture and massage for some muscular issues. Together, they worked wonders. But since then, I have only done acupuncture and it hasn't worked nearly as well. I don't blame the acupuncture, though I do question the acupuncturist. The last two dudes were old and not into anything BUT acupuncture; the last guy told me NOT to seek a massage therapist. I told HIM to go suck a nut.

My advice: Try it. If it has no affect, the only place you lose out is in the wallet.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've done it before. In fact, did it yesterday and today, too, because my muscles are spasming from over-compensating for my broken collarbone for two weeks. I'd say that the acupuncture, combined with electrical stimulation and some massage knocked the pain down about 75% and increased my range of motion significantly. I'm still somewhat stiff and uncomfortable in the neck, but it's much more livable than it was yesterday morning.

I was just wondering what other people's experiences have been, if any.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
I think I posted something about this ages ago in another section, but..

I think accupuncture is AMAZING. I damaged a tendon in my wrist, and for about two years I was in agony. Stopped me doing a lot of normal things, and things I loved as well (no violin, no guitar, etc etc). Anyway, I tried loads of things, and in the end they were going to send me for surgery which I wasn't pleased about. But then my GP reffered me to an acupuncturist and voila! All sorted!

It took time but it worked.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Don't laugh, but I have had it done on my horse, he was a little sore so I had it done. It did seem to make a little bit of difference, although the guy who came to do it said the soreness wasn't really that bad. It was so cool though, he said different parts of the horses back correspond to different body parts, and you could see by running your hand over his back where the soreness was elsewhere as well.

The guy who owned my barn talked me into doing it. He was very interested in it becasue he had had it done himself. He told me he could barely more his arm for a while (this was before I met him) and the acupuncture made a ton of difference.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Well, I'm going to school to be an Acupuncturist, so you can guess my feelings on the subject

I've also had Acupuncture done to me. I had mixed results. On my back injury, it was amazing. On the ringing in my ears, it helped a lot immediately following the treatment, but would get bad again a couple days later. On the pain in my hands (yes, I'm a mess!), it helped, but barely.

I decided to stop going to see the guy I was seeing, in a large part b/c of the expense. My insurance offers a discount, but it's still $50/visit. But, I've heard that some insurance companies are beginning to cover Acupuncture treatments just like a visit to the doc, with only a co-pay. Yeay! Depending on how far insurance companies have come and how in debt I am when I graduate (in a little more than 3yrs), I may offer a sliding-scale fee system. Discounts to VBers!

The other thing with my former Acupuncturist is, he has been doing it for 20 years and I think he's sort of on auto-pilot at this point. He didn't do a good job listening to me-- and usually that's supposed to be a great advantage of Chinese medicine practicioners over Western-trained doctors-- they actually listen!

Anyway, the point is that every Acupuncturist is different and every person responds differently to treatment (I've even read that 10-20% of the population is missing the nerve receptors that make Acupuncture work). You've got to experiment a little to find what works for you. Be aware that change can be gradual and you may have to stick with the treatment for a while before you notice results. Also, this is more than about sticking needles in people, it's an entire health philosophy. So, it is very important that people go into treatment with an open mind and a willingness to change lifestyle.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Oh, and Miss Meg... I think it's awesome that you got Acupuncture for your horse. At the school I will be attending, they have little models of horses, cats, and dogs, with Acupuncture points mapped out. I'm interested to find out what kind of training one needs to do Acupuncture on animals.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My acupuncture treatments cost me $5/each in-network. They cover $45 dollars of each visit, which they adjust from whatever the acupuncturist charges down to $50. So, I get 11 visits a year with my $500 maximum acu benefit. No chiro, though.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Never had it personally, but I know of someone who had it done on his dog. Dog had cancer and he decided not to fight the cancer b/c his dog was already old, but he wanted his dog to be as comfortable as possible. He took the dog once a week for about 2 months until the dog had to be put down and it made a significant difference. The dog's quality of life was definitely improved thanks to the accupuncture.

·
Registered
5,644 Posts
I've had it done and it works wonders on me! It got back a good amount of my range of motion and helped reduce a lot of my pain. It's great stuff IMO.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by veganmuncher

what is acupunchure?
Simply put:

Acupuncture is one branch of traditional Chinese medicine. It involves diagnosing disharmonies in the body and restoring harmony by manipulating the flow of energy (called qi, or chi) through the body. It involves inserting very fine needles into specific points in the body along the energy pathways.

I'm so glad for everyone who has had good experiences with it!

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by pirata

Oh, and Miss Meg... I think it's awesome that you got Acupuncture for your horse. At the school I will be attending, they have little models of horses, cats, and dogs, with Acupuncture points mapped out. I'm interested to find out what kind of training one needs to do Acupuncture on animals.
From what I have seen a lot of animal people are looking to more holistic treatments for their animals. I guess they are finally getting sick of pumping them full of drugs

I know massage is also very popular for horses and other animals as well. I've considered getting my horse a massage as well...............of course I have never had one.................the horse isn't spoiled or anything

·
Registered
4,604 Posts
I started going to a doctor of Oriental medicine, who did accupuncture and gave me different herbs, for irritable bowel syndrome. My regular doctor gave me a referral since there've been some reports of accupuncture helping people with IBS. It was also covered by my insurance, so I figured, why not? I chose the woman I went to because a friend of mine credited her with saving her life when she was severely ill with hepatitis and Western medicine wasn't helping. Anyhoo, I went I think nine times, and although I didn't have a horrible experience, it didn't help much. The good things about it were: 1. The accupuncturist spent a lot of time (hours) with me asking me about symptoms and doing research to try to get to what the root of the problem was, whereas the gastroenterologist spent five minutes with me and prescribed a drug that didn't help me at all and made me very sleepy. 2. I always felt pretty good and relaxed right after a session with less tummy pain than I usually had. The negative things about it were: 1. My symptoms usually returned a short while after a session. 2. I started having a strange feeling of cold hands, arms and feet, which lasted for months and stopped soon after I stopped going. 3. The herbs she gave me tasted nasty and didn't seem to have any effect on me. 4. I heard accupuncture didn't hurt, but sometimes it did, especially the needles in my hands, feet and shins. I don't like pain!

So, I guess the negative outweighed the positives for me and I stopped going. That doesn't mean that I totally discount it, because lots of people who I respect swear by it. It just didn't help me. The only things that have alleviated my symptoms are being very careful about what I eat and exercising regularly, but still my tummy sometimes gives me more trouble than I would like...

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yeah, the needles can pinch a little sometimes. I don't know who's going around saying that it is completely painless, but he/she is doing acupuncture a disservice.

That said, it doesn't work for everyone.

·
Registered
0 Posts
I'm looking for someone that does acupuncture on dogs for my sweetie. He's got hip dysplasia, so I'm willing to try anything to help him feel as good as possible. He's gone through chiropractic work and that helped a lot, but our vet doesn't do acupuncture so I'm currently looking out of town.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
I did it for my asthma, but only for about 2 weeks. The needles start freaking me out, so I started having panic attacks and quit.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.