VeggieBoards banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Herbivorous Urchin
9,717 Posts
That's awful, I don't think I could live with myself after that either. What a tragedy, for both of them.

·
Premium Member
16,664 Posts
This whole story sounds weird to me. He REALLY couldn't find any other home for the dog? It sounds like he tried a bit and then gave up, then realized his mistake after the dog was dead so he killed himself. It sounds like the condo board members were being huge jerks and forcing him to give up the dog, but they didn't force him to kill it or kill himself. The guy was most likely mentally unstable to begin with.

·
Registered
4,262 Posts
The thing is, they didn't force him to give up the dog, not at all. The condo mandated that dogs cannot be left along for more than 9 hours at a time, or taken on elevators. Neither should have spelled death for the dog. Instead, the man reacted to this by taking his healthy dog to the vet, having her put down, calling his girlfriend, and then swallowing a lethal dose of pills. To me, this is an example of a very unstable person, not an evil landlord.

·
Registered
10,324 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Werewolf Girl View Post

This whole story sounds weird to me. He REALLY couldn't find any other home for the dog? It sounds like he tried a bit and then gave up, then realized his mistake after the dog was dead so he killed himself. It sounds like the condo board members were being huge jerks and forcing him to give up the dog, but they didn't force him to kill it or kill himself. The guy was most likely mentally unstable to begin with.
Quote:
Originally Posted by peace View Post

The thing is, they didn't force him to give up the dog, not at all. The condo mandated that dogs cannot be left along for more than 9 hours at a time, or taken on elevators. Neither should have spelled death for the dog. Instead, the man reacted to this by taking his healthy dog to the vet, having her put down, calling his girlfriend, and then swallowing a lethal dose of pills. To me, this is an example of a very unstable person, not an evil landlord.
Agree with both of these. Although I do think the condo board were being *******s with the breed discrimination, I also understand about the rules regarding the elevator and 9 hours!! I just don't understand why he just didn't move or try harder to rehome the dog. I find it pretty horrible that he would choice death for his best friend rather than move out or find any other alternative but it's also incredibly sad that the guilt lead him to suicide.

·
Premium Member
16,664 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fadeaway1289 View Post

Agree with both of these. Although I do think the condo board were being *******s with the breed discrimination, I also understand about the rules regarding the elevator and 9 hours!! I just don't understand why he just didn't move or try harder to rehome the dog. I find it pretty horrible that he would choice death for his best friend rather than move out or find any other alternative.
Exactly. It seems like there were a lot of more rational options available to him but he snapped and went the 'death for everyone' route...

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by peace View Post

that's what i got out of the story

·
Registered
4,026 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shyvas View Post

This is so sad but a question comes to my mind; what kind of vet puts a healthy 5 yr old dog to sleep ?
Almost every vet will do it. It happens all the time.

He had other options but he couldn't see them clearly. It's possible the dog was hard to place for more reasons than breed and age, perhaps the dog had some behavior issues. He was being pressured, just like bullying. I don't think it's fair to say that his tragic reaction to bullying was merely "mental instability". I do not think that the definition of sanity requires being able to be bullied without consequence.

The board members told him to kill his dog. He didn't just come up with the idea on his own.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.