VeggieBoards banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ALBUQUERQUE, New Mexico (AP) -- Amid the cacophony of cell phone ringtones these days, add these: the clickety-click-click of a rare Central American poison arrow dart frog, the howl of a Mexican gray wolf and the bellows of an Arctic beluga whale.

An environmental group is hoping that the more people hear these sounds from threatened animals, the more they'll wonder where they came from -- and question the fate of the animals and birds that make them.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/TECH/02/27/e....ap/index.html

I don't know, what do you all think? Do you think these ringtones are really going to create this type of thinking and response from people?

·
Registered
20,217 Posts
I seriously doubt it. Since I consider ringtones to be extremely irritating to listen to, and I'm sure I'm not the only one, we can only imagine how irritating the sound-of-wildlife ringtones are also going to be.

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
My roommate has a ring tone that sounds like chirping birds...I've never thought about what kind of bird it is, only that it's really annoying.

·
Registered
12,132 Posts
My current alert sound is frogs. I kind of like it.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I can't get them on my phone. I have cingular, and it says "Other Carriers:

You'll receive a text message that contains a link to a website with the ringtone you've selected. Follow the link and apply the sound file as a ringtone. Your phone must have a browser that lets you connect to websites" I can't view websites on my phone. Well, Poo.

·
Registered
4,262 Posts
I've heard every kind of ringtone from customers at work, from quacking ducks to meows to Tom Jones. The funniest I've ever heard was a guy whose phone demanded, "Where you at?!"

Really, I don't think these ringtones can inspire curiousity about endangered species; they are simply another random sound in the cachphony of sounds. The only way they could help is if proceeds go to help the animals in question.

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
I don't have a cell phone, but I think the whale one would be nice. I doubt it's going to start the "what animal is that? *research* oh, it's endangered? How horrible! I should do something!" train of thought.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts