VeggieBoards banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
5,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where the heck did acquaintances come from?

They're not friends, so they aren't of any use. And they're not strangers, so they can't be treated as not existing.

Although, they can be shifted to friend when you realise they could be of use..... but can they ever be shifted back to stranger? I think some of mine may have; but being strangers I wouldn't notice if they were ex-acquaintances (so I guess that isn't provable).

One acquaintance of mine is so annoying; he most often bumps into me down at the stores and ALL he wants to talk about is computers. And he talks so friggin' loud!

I have this thing I do, though...... when I see an acquaintance up ahead, while pretending to not have seen them I smile, but when they finally catch my eye I lose the smile. What this does is give them the impression that I am enjoying life then their sudden presence puts me in a bad mood.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
i have lots of acquaintances....i dispatch for a taxi service in a small town (my effort for the green party.....
) and so LOTS of folks in town know me but....i'd rather not know them most of the time....i just nod and keep walking or just mumble something vague...

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
I meet a lot of people coaching little brats. yes I said little brats, but as bratty as the kids may be. Parents are so much worse. Always wanting to "talk" to me about how I coach. If they want to coach they can go ahead and try to coach their foul mouthed little brats! (dont get me wrong, not all of them are bad) Some parents refuse to believe their "angels" could do annnnything wrong... anyways.. these are the "aquaintances" that I do not enjoy

·
Banned
5,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I saw someone today, but I timed it so I was exiting the store via a checkout line as they entered through the entrance gate.

That store sucks anyway, I need to go to one where there's less chance of seeing someone I know.

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
You know, i used to do the same thing...mainly because I'm a very reserved person and I used to really not like to talk to people i kind of sort of know. However, in the interests of being a functioning human being, i now make a pointed effort at mingling with some acquaintance of mine at least once a week.

I mean how do you think you meet people anyway? How do you eventually start dating someone worthwhile if you never put yourself out there. For such a long time I had a safe little cacoon of friends. And I was cynical and pessimistic and very well...isolated and snobbish. But then I had a daughter, and this isn't really the way children should be raised, so in the interests of that and for my own personal growth as well...I...ummm...changed.

I still get gripped by the little pinch of dread in the back of my neck (right below the skull) when an acquaintance approaches, but I swallow hard and make an effort. Even if only in the interests of 'goodwill'. Whoever he is.

B

1 - 10 of 10 Posts