VeggieBoards banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought one of these yesterday, and looked around online on how to bake it.

I ended up cutting it in half lengthwise and scooping out the seeds, and putting each half in a baking dish, cut side up with about a quarter inch of water. I sprinkled some salt and pepper on them, put some vegan margarine and baked them for a little over an hour.

I'm eating this right now, with a spoon, right out of the shell, just like a bowl, and mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm I never knew this was so good!

I'm gonna buy more next week...

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunsWithFoxes View Post

You can also microwave 'em if you're in a hurry. However, I suspect that your long slow cook approach probably leads to better results.
Really? For how long?

·
Registered
685 Posts
Microwave loosely covered in just a skim of water for 10 minutes. For an extra treat, rinse off those seeds, spread on some oiled or sprayed aluminum foil, salt, bake at 325 F for 25 min. Like pumpkin seeds but not so tough and woody. Made one today myself.

·
Registered
4,604 Posts
There's are few things better than a great acorn squash fresh out of the oven, and there are few things more disappointing than when your get a flavorless one. I once had one that tasted like wax!

·
Registered
183 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eggplant View Post

There's are few things better than a great acorn squash fresh out of the oven, and there are few things more disappointing than when your get a flavorless one. I once had one that tasted like wax!
Yeah, I've got a hold of some flavorless ones lately. I assumed they were just out of season now or something. Ever since the kabocha squash disappeared from the grocery store, it seems like the other winter squashes have been kind of tasteless around here. The kabocha is always consistently great whenever I can find it. It is my favorite. I always bake it face down in water, like Cassiopeia did with the acorn squash, except I don't add anything to it. No salt, pepper, or margerine. It is incredibly good plain, just the way it is. Loads of flavor, and very satisfying.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I do mine the same way but then after they are pretty much cooked I turn it over and sprinkle a little salt and then put a spoonful of sugar free jam into the middle and bake about 5 minutes more. It is amazing!

·
Registered
570 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassiopeia View Post

Really? For how long?
I agree with the person above - around 10 minutes will do it. I scoop out the seeds and fill the center with water before sticking the demi-squash in the MW. Good luck!

·
Registered
12,282 Posts
I've got a recipe for cornbread and apricot stuffed acorn squash that I've been wanting to try. Maybe next week... I've already shopped this week

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thanks for the tips everyone. I'm going out shopping today, time for more squash.

Rabid Child, you should share your recipe

1 - 11 of 11 Posts