VeggieBoards banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ever since puberty, I have suffered with acne as I'm sure many of you have at one stage. I'm twenty years old now, and it has improved a lot since a few years ago when my body was covered in red sores & pustules. However, I still have the odd outbreak on my face, and sebaceous cysts too. My body also has acne scars which can make it look worse than it actually is, and still suffers from pimples. I make sure to drink a lot of water, and I do not indulge in chocolate or a lot of sugar. Even though it has improved, I still want to help speed up the clearing process. I've been through a lot of the standard antibiotics, all except Accutane which I refuse to take due to it extremity. I've been taking MSM tablets for the past couple of months, but I haven't seen a noticeable difference with them.

So feel free to offer me your suggestions, although I'd rather you propose treatment that is generally regarded as effective. You get a lot of individuals who come up with radical methods that end up a waste of time because they were only lucky for that person. Everyone's different after all. Also, preferably suggestions within your average price-range! ^^

·
Registered
12,079 Posts
Here are some suggestions that won't cost you an arm and a leg...they are natural and some of them are derived from stuff you already have in your cupboards! Unfortunately, it may fit into the category of working for one person and not another, but I figured I'd post it anyway!

Vitamins & Nutritional Supplements

Vitamin A--Vitamin A may help to reduce sebum production. However, high doses of vitamin A can carry a risk of decreased bone density, birth defects, headache, and muscle and joint pain. Like the modified vitamin A prescription drugs, vitamin A can cause birth defects. Sexually active women of childbearing age should not take more than 5,000 IU per day unless they are under the guidance of a professional and are using at least two reliable forms of birth control. Vitamin A supplementation may not be necessary if there is adequate intake of beta-carotene, vitamin E, and zinc, all necessary for vitamin A formation. Decreasing unhealthy fats such as margarine, hydrogenated oils, processed foods, and other sources of transfats can also improve absorption.

Zinc--Zinc, especially in the form of zinc gluconate or zinc sulfate, can help prevent acne. Zinc helps heal blemishes, reduces inflammation, and reduces androgenic hormonal effects on the skin. Begin by increasing food sources of zinc. Two studies comparing zinc to the antibiotic tetracycline found zinc to be as effective as tetracycline. Another study found a mild yet definite effect of zinc.

Vitamin B6--Vitamin B6 may help premenstrual or mid-cycle acne. This vitamin is essential for the proper metabolism of steroid hormones and can reduce the sensitivity of skin to the effects of testosterone.

Herbs

A herbal blend that can help with acne consists of equal parts of the herbal extracts of sarsaparilla, yellow dock, burdock, and cleavers. These herbs are believed to be potent blood and lymph cleansers. Half a teaspoon per day of this blend can be taken three times per day combined with a healthy diet.

Tea tree oil applied to acne lesions may help to eliminate bacteria and reduce inflammation. Tea Tree Oil for Acne

link: http://altmedicine.about.com/cs/cond...tod/a/acne.htm

http://www.ultimate-cosmetics.com/be...e-remedies.htm

I have had success with using honey and also egg white, but since I don't eat eggs, I stopped using the egg white. I should mention that I don't have severe acne...I get occasional breakouts of 2-3 blemishes.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks a lot, karenlovessnow. A very informative reply, with added links for good measure!
I'm definitely going to get some Zinc tablets. I remember them doing quite well for me before, but for some careless reason I stopped taking them. Also, about toothpaste, what does it contain that's supposed to ease the acne swelling?

·
Registered
12,079 Posts
I found this:

Acne and Toothpaste?

Posted by Don on July 18th 2006 to perspective

In the quest for clear skin, people are willing to try some pretty strange things. Sometimes these unorthodox treatments even work. One of the more unusual acne treatments out there is using toothpaste as a spot treatment. Can smearing toothpaste on your zits actually help? Yes, but there are definitely better alternatives.

The pasty white varieties of toothpaste are the ones most likely to show some actually results on your skin. These are composed primarily of calcium carbonate and floride salts, which can facilitate the drying out of the applied area, and presumably reduce inflammation. Many brands of toothpaste also contain baking soda, which can clean out your pores and eliminate bacteria quite effectively. Keep in mind that almost anything which dries out the skin can temporarily aid with the appearance of acne. However, getting control of your skin requires more than just drying out trouble areas, which can lead to new acne blemishes in the future - and other spot treatments such as benzoyl peroxide and tea tree oil are typically much more effective at actually killing P. acnes bacteria.

If you're really looking for an alternate acne spot treatment, toothpaste may work, but I would recommend skipping the toothpaste and just buying some baking soda instead. A pure baking soda paste will most likely work better, and does not contain all the unnecessary ingredients found in different brands of toothpaste.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Hey Wayne,

I got this from DrFuhrman's healthboards. These are just a few exerpts.

Quote:
"I always thought it was the high nutrient density (phytochemicals) in the skin, that reduces inflammation and increases resistance against infection, in conjunction with normalization of excessive hormones that were the major reasons. But thanks for the input and great ideas about writing a newsletter all about acne. I have such dramtic case histories that it would make a great newsletter. "
and a seprate post.

Quote:
"If you are that committed to resolving your acne, you will. I think the information I offered you is what you need to take care of the problem, but I will gladly be more specific. The number one priority is nutrient density in your skin. To increase the phytonutrients in your skin have two to four ounces of green cruciferous juice a day, mixed in some other juice such as carrot/strawberry. Then have a blended salad once a day where you consume at least 6 ounces of raw blended greens, mixing kale, organic spinach and lettuce. Also consume a daily bowl of a green-based soup with broccoli rabe, bok choy, collards and other dark greens cooked into the soup base. You can eat raw nuts, but not more than two ounces with any one meal. You can eat fresh fruit, but not more than 2-3 fruit equivalents with any one meal. That means your meals have a good mix of veggies, beans, nuts and fruits. Exercise more, add more weight training and try to sweat as much as possible and of course, eat when hungry and do not overeat. If you do all this your hormonal peaks will diminish and your skin will make great strides. Let me know how much you improve over the next 4 months."
My acne is pretty much gone since I have been eating according to Dr. F. I occasionally get some acne on my chin area because I get real oily dirty hands with my job and touch my face too much. I used to get bad back acne as well as facial acne and now it is all gone!

Hope this helps!

·
Banned
2,081 Posts
I used to use B5 (pantothenic acid) powder. If you do a google on b5 for acne, you'll find all sorts of info on it. It worked awesomely the first time. My skin was super clear. However, like most things when it comes to me, after i stopped and started breaking out again, I tried it again to no avail.

Also when I stopped eating dairy products, my skin went super clear.

I do notice the more raw fruits & veggies I eat, the better my skin.

·
Registered
898 Posts
I had bad acne off and on throughout my life. I have also had chemical peels to get rid of the scars but than the acne came back and I have more scars again.

I eventually ended up on Accutane about 10 years ago which definately got rid of it but not recommending it of course. The reason Accutane works is high dose of Vitamin A. Eat more of the the greens that elijah is suggesting (kale and spinach are high in vitamin A).

When I still get a pimple, I use Burts Bees Blemish Treatment. It has Tea Tree Oil in it. A little goes a long way too.

Do you eat a lot of dairy or are you a vegan? If you do, cut back (or cut out) your dairy and see if you improve. Dairy is thought to make acne worse.

I always thought there was no real proof that chocolate causes acne (most chocolate has dairy in it too). If you eat any chocolate, try to go for the vegan and organic stuff.

As a side note, I tried to take zinc for my acne and it didn't work - of course, it might work for you though.

·
Registered
12,079 Posts
My skin got worse since going vegan, however, I refuse to blame it on that...I"m also menopausal so it makes more sense to me that it's a hormonal thing. Plus, for some reason my skin is always better in the summer. I get minimal sunshine but apparently the sun has merit when taken in moderate amounts.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elijah View Post

Hey Wayne,

I got this from DrFuhrman's healthboards. These are just a few exerpts.

and a seprate post.

My acne is pretty much gone since I have been eating according to Dr. F. I occasionally get some acne on my chin area because I get real oily dirty hands with my job and touch my face too much. I used to get bad back acne as well as facial acne and now it is all gone!

Hope this helps!
I think you are dead on with the assertion diet can improve and clear your skin. I've been eating a lot of salads this past week and ever since my skin has cleared up drastically. I know oils, chocolate, and sugars don't actually play a role in degrading skin, but I agree that a diet rich in vegetables and fruits can certainly improve a person's skin quality.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by queenfluff View Post

Do you eat a lot of dairy or are you a vegan? If you do, cut back (or cut out) your dairy and see if you improve. Dairy is thought to make acne worse.
I'm vegetarian, but I am trying to cut down on my dairy intake.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed to this topic. Forgive me for not responding to every point, since there's a lot to consider. I'm off shopping tomorrow, so I'll pick up some zinc gluconate tablets and tea tree oil as a start.

·
Registered
2 Posts
When I became vegan about 12 years ago (I'm 30) I didn't had acne, pustules, cysts, never worried about it, but one year (more or less) after becoming vegan I started having it, at first I tried aloe vera, tea tree oil, and many changes on my diet.

For some months now I'm not eating (at all) bread, chocolate, sugar, fried foods including fries, almost no processed foods, white rice/ pasta very rarely, plenty of water, only natural oils (olive, hemp, sunflower), I also take deva's vegan multi, beer yeast, and yet today I noticed a lot of pustules on my chest/ back/ shoulders, they are big and ugly, hell!

I have tons of scars, I never take my shirt out in public (except at nearly deserted beaches) and I became paranoid about dirty bed sheets, watching tv/ computer, masturbation, sleep and many other things, I'm gay but I don't have a boyfriend for ages, as I'm very depressed about my looks...

I will try the urine thing (I've tried garlic, lemon... but didn't work, perhaps on salad?) but not the sugar/ oats mixture it doesn't seem good for my case, I too noticed that bananas are good (b vitamin?), anyway I'm really tired of it but I won't go back to eating meat/ eggs blah blah I'd rather kill myself insted, yep, well, I usually print the things that worked and the things that I'll try in the future and I post them on the fridge, bathroom mirror, etc to remind me about it.

·
Banned
0 Posts
First try to watch your food as which type of food may increase the acne appearance then do not use any chemical skin care product which make your skin exhausted and dry and increase the number of acne,

So the amazing alternative is to use organic skin care product which will give you healthy look on your skin

Here are some good advise to follow:

* Avoid products containing mineral oils as they clog the pores

* Avoid products containing alcohol as they strip your skin of natural beneficial oils

* Avoid pore clogging makeup filled with chemicals; switch to organic mineral makeup

* Avoid eating too many processed fatty foods and cut down your sugar intake

* Avoid excessive alcohol and caffeine too much can dehydrate your skin

* Avoid wearing makeup to bed make sure you cleanse each night! Very important as the body renews itself during sleep

Organic Makeup

1 - 13 of 13 Posts