VeggieBoards banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The local Humane Society where I live is a KILL shelter. If there's not enough cages available a cat gets euthanized. hundreds of cats die a year and black cats are at the top because they aren't adopted very easily due to superstitions.

There's one cat that I absolutely LOVED. He was a black cat, at the shelter as a kitten and is getting older fast. He's been there for more than 8 weeks. My bf and I have money coming in for cat food, litte box, toys and the room to give a loving home but due to realistic concerns we arent sure we'd be able to take care of unexpected high vet bills. We are newly grads and looking for a career in our speciality. So a little uncertainty with jobs, yet-we do have money coming in we do have small jobs etc..

So I offered to foster the cat while they look for his forever home. This cat is always ina cage for that many weeks I couldn't imagine that stress ! I figured I could get pics of him cuddling or in a home and it would encourage people to give this cat a home. Fostering we could buy the food and all that but wouldnt be responsible for vet checks etc. So it would be good for us to help a cat and good for the cat to be a part of a home and socialized.

We were denied. They don't allow cats to be fostered if they are looking fo a home.

So they would rather not free up one cage(which could have a ripple effect- more room equals one less cat euthanized), and not let this cat feel any freedom.

I understand it helps people to see cats in the cages at the pound, however they offer a site with photos and I would obviously contribute to helping promote this cat.

what are your thoughts? is this silly or am I wrong?

·
Banned
2,587 Posts
I understand why the shelter doesn't allow cats to be fostered when they could be placed in a permanent home.

Best solution is to adopt the cat yourself.

It's great that you are concerned with having enough money to care for the cat. If you have a job you will be fine caring for an animal. Also there is pet insurance and care credit that helps out with major vet bills if that is ever an issue.

http://www.aspcapetinsurance.com/
http://www.petsbest.com/home_il.aspx
http://www.carecredit.com/

One of our pups had a major surgery at age 4, it was over $4,000, we used care credit.

These programs and many other are out there, I had a job that offered pet insurance along with the regular health insurance (for an extra fee).

Adopting the cat would be the best solution IMO.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you. I can understand as well why the cat would be wanted in the cage all day, but it seems raher harsh to be there for months on end with no luck yet. This cat has been returned twice already, poor guy. There's also the site which enables people to browse the cats and I've seen other shelters do this with no problems finding the cat a forever home in the meantime. Right now it just feels like they are saying they'd rather put healthy cats to sleep then let people foster them to free up the cages...

I'd love to adopt, but feel it would be risky at this point in time. I wouldnt want to leave my bf to foot the bill lol. I would much rather wait until I have a secure job. We also have to pay rent and food lol.

Not sure if the vets here offer anything

·
Banned
2,587 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamwolf View Post

Not sure if the vets here offer anything
These pet insurance programs aren't through the vets offices, they are independent just like regular insurance. check out the links.

fostering offers a whole host of problems on its own, and when I foster I am responsible for the vet bills myself its part of the program I work with. so fostering really isn't a good solution in this case, especially since the cat has already been returned twice, it just stresses animals out and causes them to have to readjust to different situations which can lead to behavior problems.

·
Registered
16,090 Posts
You've stumbled upon the unfortunate and sad truth that many animal control offices don't have the time or energy to truly do what they should be doing to reduce the number of animals they euthanize. It doesn't make any sense at all to turn down foster homes. But they probably don't have a system in place to help foster homes get their pets adopted such as adoption events where the cat can be seen. If they had a volunteer to oversee a foster program it could mean a lot fewer euthanized pets annually. It really takes a huge culture shift for a high-volume animal control facility to turn into a low-kill or no-kill facility. Write out a well-thought letter and mail it to them expressing your dismay over their lack of a foster program. NoKillNation has some good articles on the importance of foster programs. See for example: http://www.thenokillnation.com/?p=85

·
Registered
16,090 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvourmother View Post

These pet insurance programs aren't through the vets offices, they are independent just like regular insurance. check out the links.

fostering offers a whole host of problems on its own, and when I foster I am responsible for the vet bills myself its part of the program I work with. so fostering really isn't a good solution in this case, especially since the cat has already been returned twice, it just stresses animals out and causes them to have to readjust to different situations which can lead to behavior problems.
I would disagree with this. Fostering can stress an animal out, but it doesn't have to. In fact it can help cats become more adjusted to a variety of situations, and it's an opportune time to help the cat work through behavior problems that will prevent it from getting returned in the future. Most foster programs do pay vet costs, but it depends on the agency. Often the shelter will get a discount for medical care and can at least past on the discounts.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
As much as I acknowledge that change can cause stress, I would think fostering the lessor evil. Going from a foster home to a forever home (or in my case might end up adopting eventually anyhow) would be far better than cooped in a cage 24/7 as it has been for 2 months or so now. Please take into consideration the cage size is about the size of a hamster cage-a touch bigger to accomodate for the cat to sit up and turn around. No other movement really possible..that's gotta be worse then a foster home.

Kpickell, thanks for the link!

·
Registered
30 Posts
I can't imagine why someone wouldn't adopt a cat just because it's black, because of silly superstitions. I just got a black kitten for my eighteenth birthday and she is able to put a smile on my face in seconds even when I have had a horrible day..... Anyway, I think you should totally adopt it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, I definitely caved, and if he's there tomorrow he's mine...and my boyfriends hehe. We can more than afford it based on just his incom and today I rolled all the coins I have and found 200 dollars! more than enough to adopt him! It's fated I think

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
I hope the kitty is there for you. And for him!

Nothing is certain. And should you ever have a pet that comes down with a chronic illness, you can choose not to treat. Some people may flame me for that but it's a choice and an alternative.

I had a kitty diabetic for over 10 years. I'm grateful I had the money for her care and that she responded well without needing constant trips to the vet. However, had I not had that money, letting the disease take it's coarse would not have meant I loved her any less.

Basic care can be expensive enough. Hopefully your kitty will remain healthy.

·
Registered
888 Posts
Can you get pet insurance? I would think that any responsible pet owner would insure their pet in a monthly payment... Vets bills can be extraordinarily high, once my cat was knocked down and they spent days doing treatments and saying they could fix him and then we got the call saying that actually his back is broken and he has to be put to sleep... I was so devastated, and then we got a huge bill for all the treatments and the euthanasia and no cat.

So if pet insurance exists where you are, I would say please get it for your cat's sake!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
We have money for any vet bills. I'm a bit of a worry wart but my bf is super dooper smart with math and money and he had a look at our spending and showed me that we'd have enough. It's also a bonus how we got so much money just from a bucket of change i was keeping over the last three years lol! So that will be 200 dollars saved for shots or something. He's already had most shots and is neutered already too. Well, wish us luck!!! Going at 11am. We will also look into insurance, I had a dog so understand the vet bills thing
My boyfriend is a manager and I do still have a small business with a lil money coming in through that...soo maybe I over worry lol.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts