VeggieBoards banner
21 - 40 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
wow he's arguing with himself. yep, finally lost it. it's ok rsj, the bunnies won't hurt you anymore.

i don't like snowmobiles either. never been out on one really and don't intend to either. it looks like fun but it's just not my kind of fun, and there are accidents every year up north.

i don't like the cold, i don't like snow and ice, and i'm afraid of deep water. not a combo that makes me wanna race around on a frozen lake.

my bedroom is so frickin cold right now. the floor was so cold last night i only stood on it for a minute or two to get changed and by the time i got in bed my feet were frozen right through my socks. i sleep in the fetal position most nights. you know when the sheets under you warm up and it's nice and cozy, and then you stretch out and the rest of the bed feels ice cold so you have to sleep in the same spot and position all night.

·
Banned
559 Posts
yes, it is nights like these when i crave extra body heat...it is now -30 windchill and it's coming right thru my walls. i have my sleeping bag with 3 fleece blankets ready on the floor inthe other room, in front of the heater.

I"M GOIN' IN, MAN!

just need to put my layers upon layers of long underwear on first...wish me luck.

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by LadyFaile

it looks like fun but it's just not my kind of fun, and there are accidents every year up north.
You know, when I was living in Northern Ontario, (Timmins, Kirkland Lake, etc) for a couple of years, there were a lot of snowmobile related accidents. Most of them, though, are from sheer stupidity. I remember reading about this one in particular (I think it was in Sudbury) where these two fools went onto the lake in the middle of the night, drunk, turned off their headlights and raced towards each other in a game of "chicken". Head-on collission. Death. Parts everywhere.

I think its more that the operators of the machines are usually more dangerous and foolish than the machine itself. Of course, this coming from a guy who likes to shoot open water strips

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
haha yeah i heard about that one too. it's one of those things you catch on the news and just can't possibly say anything sympathetic. like 'ohhh that's too.. no, sorry it's just plain stupid.'

in one of the little hick towns they have a thing every spring. they put a beat up old truck destined for scrap out on the lake and wait for the ice to thaw. everyone bets on what day the truck will fall through.

that is like such a northern ontario thing to do, ain't it? every spring morning we'd turn on the radio to find out if it fell through yet.

·
Registered
7,691 Posts

that's bizarre.

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Michael

That's funny! I think I'd still rather watch that than hockey though.
Oh, ouch, ouch... bite yer tongue... hockey rules

LF: I remember going to a party one night at someone's "camp" (to others, that's what they call a cabin somewhere in Northern Ontario). I get to the end of the road and wonder where the heck the camp is, its nowhere in sight. Then a truck comes by and i ask the guy where the party camp is... its on an island out in the lake and you have to drive there. Let me tell you.. I put the car in first gear, rolled down the window and sat on the ledge, waiting to jump. I must have been crazy.

Party rocked though.

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
sounds like fun. sounds like something our friends would do actually. whereabouts was it?

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
It was just north of Sudbury, around a little place called Hanmer.

Only people who've lived in Northern Ontario I think would really understand how farking cold it gets there during the winter and how thick the ice gets there on the lakes. Ice 6 to 8 feet thick during middle of winter is a normal thing.

Here's what I figure... if wherever you go has a place you can plug your car in while you shop, you're in a place that gets cold in winter.

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
lol no doubt. i'm from North Bay, it's not too far off and gets miiiighty cold. when the windchil drops down to -40C people learn from experience to leave the taps running overnight so the pipes don't freeze and burst. messy business that.

i remember one winter a neighbour was away and their pipes burst, i was walking by their house and realized the garage door was completely covered in a wall of ice as the water was pouring out from the garage. someone had to break into the house to shut the valve off. crazy.

like a week later another neighbour's pipes burst, flooding her basement where her home business was set up. can you say nervous breakdown?

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
I looked at my thermometer this morning, as I do every morning, when I woke up. The temperature is usually 58-60 F, but this morning it was the grand total of 53 F. And they wondered why I didn't want to get out of the nice warm shower...

21 - 40 of 54 Posts