VeggieBoards banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I dunno about anyone else, but this year we're seeing a more than usual amount of snow. I mean, I'm in Atlantic Canada... we always get snow. But this is only January and our city has already exhausted more than 50% of its snow removal budget. Our winter snowfall season is usually over by the end of March and begins in Late November / early December.

Last night and today, another foot of snow fell. And more is being predicted throughout the week.

Anyone else getting hammered this year?

On the plus side, its great snowmobile weather

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Snowed in Dallas Texas? Wow, that must have caused some havoc that day, especialy if it were slippery cause I don't imagine a lot of the cars there are fitted with winter tires.

On many of our streets right now, there's a few inches inches of snow that we are just driving on. That's now the "winter bed" for the roadways. For the most part, we won't see actual pavement for about 6 more weeks, with the exception of the major streets.

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
According to the local news I just saw... in the past 16 days, we've received more than 200 centimtres of snow. That's about 7 feet for the non-metric users.

Temp here the last couple of days has been hovering between -21 and -14 celsius. It's cold.

MsRuthieB... yeah, the windchill thing makes it "feel colder" here too... a lot colder. I find it kind of interesting the windchill thing. If you stick a thermometer outside, it does not change if there's wind or not. If its -10, it's still -10 even if its 50 mph winds. I just don't understand how or why it "feels" so much colder, yet it does.

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Funkified, yeah, the North East coast seem to be getting hit with a cold, rotten, snow-ridden winter this year.

But, for us, it also lets us have some fun with the open water drags. Where you out on the lake (not far... water is only about 3 feet deep where we do it) and cut a straight strip about 60 feet in length and about 4 feet wide to expose the water. Then you get a running start with the snowmobile and hit the water flat out and try and skim across the water till the end of the strip.

Sounds nuts, but quite fun.

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Funkified, yes, they can be dangerous. For many years I shied away from them after a friend of mine crashed through some thin ice while we were traveling across a lake. He went in, by the time I got stopped and gott of the machine and rolled outto him, he was under. Took almost 3 days to find him.

But the last few years I've gotten back into them, I still won't travel "across" a lake... but I just love that open water drag racing. They have local competitions each year and like I said, its only a few feet deep and they have an ambulance and members of the volunteer fire department there.

I'm by no means an "adrenalin junkie", but I do enjoy the watercross with snowmobiles, and dirt bikes, etc. I'm also looking into doing some hillcross as well. That looks like a ton of fun.

The worst part about watercross is whenever you mess up and your machine goes into the water. You're waist deep in freezing cold water, the machine is heavy to get out, and usually is shot for the rest of the day cause everything gets soaked. Ideally, I need a second machine.

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by LadyFaile

it looks like fun but it's just not my kind of fun, and there are accidents every year up north.
You know, when I was living in Northern Ontario, (Timmins, Kirkland Lake, etc) for a couple of years, there were a lot of snowmobile related accidents. Most of them, though, are from sheer stupidity. I remember reading about this one in particular (I think it was in Sudbury) where these two fools went onto the lake in the middle of the night, drunk, turned off their headlights and raced towards each other in a game of "chicken". Head-on collission. Death. Parts everywhere.

I think its more that the operators of the machines are usually more dangerous and foolish than the machine itself. Of course, this coming from a guy who likes to shoot open water strips

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Michael

That's funny! I think I'd still rather watch that than hockey though.
Oh, ouch, ouch... bite yer tongue... hockey rules

LF: I remember going to a party one night at someone's "camp" (to others, that's what they call a cabin somewhere in Northern Ontario). I get to the end of the road and wonder where the heck the camp is, its nowhere in sight. Then a truck comes by and i ask the guy where the party camp is... its on an island out in the lake and you have to drive there. Let me tell you.. I put the car in first gear, rolled down the window and sat on the ledge, waiting to jump. I must have been crazy.

Party rocked though.

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
It was just north of Sudbury, around a little place called Hanmer.

Only people who've lived in Northern Ontario I think would really understand how farking cold it gets there during the winter and how thick the ice gets there on the lakes. Ice 6 to 8 feet thick during middle of winter is a normal thing.

Here's what I figure... if wherever you go has a place you can plug your car in while you shop, you're in a place that gets cold in winter.

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
100 degrees Farenheit.... I'd melt. We have a saying here... we don't tan, we rust.

I personally find it uncomfortable whenever it gets above 85 here.. I much prefer a constant temp of 75 to 80, with a drop to about 65 to 70 overnight.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts