VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I dunno about anyone else, but this year we're seeing a more than usual amount of snow. I mean, I'm in Atlantic Canada... we always get snow. But this is only January and our city has already exhausted more than 50% of its snow removal budget. Our winter snowfall season is usually over by the end of March and begins in Late November / early December.

Last night and today, another foot of snow fell. And more is being predicted throughout the week.

Anyone else getting hammered this year?

On the plus side, its great snowmobile weather

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
we had a big snowstorm last night until this morning. highways out of the city were closed and someone had to stay the night cause she couldn't drive home. so her and my roommate went out to swap vehicles around for easy access in the morning, brushed them off, came back inside, about 5 minutes later looked out and they were both covered in snow again. we couldn't see across the road for the snow, it was pretty heavy. if my roommate hadn't been sent out of town for training today i bet he would've called in sick and went snowmobiling.

·
Registered
348 Posts
It actually snowed here a week ago Sunday. It snowed all day, though it didn't really stick or anything. I just wish the weather would pick a temp and stay with it!! It's making me sick (literally!). Before it snowed it was like 70 something degrees a couple days before that. Then it snowed and was fairly frigid (for here) for a few days. This morning it was COLD, and now (and it's DARK!!) it's positively balmy outside. I'm sitting here sweating like mad.

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Snowed in Dallas Texas? Wow, that must have caused some havoc that day, especialy if it were slippery cause I don't imagine a lot of the cars there are fitted with winter tires.

On many of our streets right now, there's a few inches inches of snow that we are just driving on. That's now the "winter bed" for the roadways. For the most part, we won't see actual pavement for about 6 more weeks, with the exception of the major streets.

·
Registered
445 Posts
I dont like the snow. I like when it is sunny outside because in the winter there is nothing to do. We have got some snow but not a whole lot. It has been very cold here though. The windchill yesterday was below 0 and i have a 2 hour delay from school again tomorrow because of the cold.

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
According to the local news I just saw... in the past 16 days, we've received more than 200 centimtres of snow. That's about 7 feet for the non-metric users.

Temp here the last couple of days has been hovering between -21 and -14 celsius. It's cold.

MsRuthieB... yeah, the windchill thing makes it "feel colder" here too... a lot colder. I find it kind of interesting the windchill thing. If you stick a thermometer outside, it does not change if there's wind or not. If its -10, it's still -10 even if its 50 mph winds. I just don't understand how or why it "feels" so much colder, yet it does.

·
Banned
559 Posts
put the snowmobile away and no one gets hurt. don't get me started on those things!

it's just bitterly cold here. windchill -25 tonight. comforting! i had to sleep in my sleeping bag in front of the heater last night.

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Funkified, yeah, the North East coast seem to be getting hit with a cold, rotten, snow-ridden winter this year.

But, for us, it also lets us have some fun with the open water drags. Where you out on the lake (not far... water is only about 3 feet deep where we do it) and cut a straight strip about 60 feet in length and about 4 feet wide to expose the water. Then you get a running start with the snowmobile and hit the water flat out and try and skim across the water till the end of the strip.

Sounds nuts, but quite fun.

·
Banned
559 Posts
but dude, snowmobiles (and jetskies) are some of the most pullting 'things' on the planet. realllllly bad, actually. i only don't diss 'em if they are for search and rescue of if someone lives way out yonder in snowland and that's the only way they can get around. that and a friend was killed by one when it ran into a tree

not trying to be a pain - just one of those things i'm somewhat passionate about

i say put the snowmobile away and dig out the x country skies!

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Funkified, yes, they can be dangerous. For many years I shied away from them after a friend of mine crashed through some thin ice while we were traveling across a lake. He went in, by the time I got stopped and gott of the machine and rolled outto him, he was under. Took almost 3 days to find him.

But the last few years I've gotten back into them, I still won't travel "across" a lake... but I just love that open water drag racing. They have local competitions each year and like I said, its only a few feet deep and they have an ambulance and members of the volunteer fire department there.

I'm by no means an "adrenalin junkie", but I do enjoy the watercross with snowmobiles, and dirt bikes, etc. I'm also looking into doing some hillcross as well. That looks like a ton of fun.

The worst part about watercross is whenever you mess up and your machine goes into the water. You're waist deep in freezing cold water, the machine is heavy to get out, and usually is shot for the rest of the day cause everything gets soaked. Ideally, I need a second machine.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts