VeggieBoards banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife and I have come across the Acai Berry and what a berry it is. It contains the highest ORAC among antioxidant producing berries. It has been around for many years, but is just know getting the attention of people by storm. If you are interested, lets talk about it!

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
I've never heard of it, and can't find information on wikipedia.

So, what does it taste like, and what does it look like?

·
Banned
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The berry itself comes from the Amazon and is part of a fruit from a palm tree native to Brazil. There has been much research into the effects of this berry and findings are already taking it to the top as far as antioxidants are concerned.

·
Registered
920 Posts
I've noticed in the store a pomegranite and acai juice and have been intrigued.

When you say "ORAC" what are you saying?

·
Banned
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The pomegranite and acai juice you see in the stores are ok, however the processes by which they obtain their juice greatly lowers the goodness of those fruits. ORAC stands for "Oxygen Radical Absorbence Capacity" and is simply a test that measures how effective the antioxidants found in foods work in your system against oxidated stress. The higer the ORAC score the better it is fighting damage from oxidative stress. Example: If you bite into an apple and leave it out, it starts to turn brown. That is primarily oxidation. The same things happens in our body from what is called free radical cells. The free radical cell comes from a variety of things, the sun, stress, sickness and so on. Basically what the antioxidant does is protect the healthy cell and gives the free radical cell what it needs to neutralize. The Acai that is on the shelf is usually a lower grade then what we have a hold of because the process by which we get the Acai is called Opti Acai and is a patent pending process that is only available to one certain product. I have heard many testimonies as to the affectiveness of what the Acai does. There is a magazine at Barnes and Noble and Borders called "Breakthroughs in Health" which talks about what is happening with this berry.

·
Banned
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I do have links to the research, but this is not letting me post the url's until I have 15 posts. Dr. Alex Schrauss has studied this berry for over ten years and his finding will be coming out in the Journal of Agriculture and Food Sciences. Do a search on his name and that will lead you to where you can find information.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts