VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
I take a B complex and a B12 lozenge. I've been vegan for about 2 years, but I also need the vitamins for other health issues I have.

·
Lifelong vegetarian
2,617 Posts
As a vegan only B12.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhonlynn View Post

Bought some vegan b 12 today, as a lozenge, and began taking them.
When you say lozenge, do you mean the methylcobalamin variety? You let them dissolve under your tongue right?

I've been reading a couple articles lately that indicate that 40% of the entire population is deficient in B12. Considering that the largest percentage includes the meateaters, all of us veg'ns should be supplementing I think. Make sure that we don't give them any truth behind the never-ending litany of "every veg'n I've ever met is weak and sickly and pale, yada, yada, yada....".

Actually, my daughters have both given up their anti-depressants as a result of boosting their B12 intake. So another plus, it seems to help deal with depression.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yeah, I'm a nurse, and they are the ones that are dissolved under the tongue...cause I've given the other kind. And, absolutley, I donot want to be part of the statistics.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hi, I have related question: how much and often you take the B12 supplement ? I've bought some tablets, but label says it's 500times RDA and at the same time there is warning not to take more than RDA per day, so should I grind it and take pinch per day or what ???
Thanks.

·
Ex-*****
5,391 Posts
ssessinka, no, there is no known danger in taking more than the RDA for B12. In fact, the "500 times" is probably misleading, as it usually means 500 micrograms, which is less than 500 times the RDA.

B12 is absorbed less effectively the higher the dose is, so ideally one should be getting a tiny bit e.g. in every meal throughout the day. That is why B12-fortified foods are a good idea. For supplements it's been found that a single dose of around 9 micrograms per day is sufficient. Note that because the absorption rate drops with higher doses, 500 micrograms in one go will not be nearly sufficient for 50 days ... If I had to guess, I would think a 500 micrograms tablet would be sufficient for about 3 days, but that's a totally un-scientific guess.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Thanks for the response. So I guess It's not totally unreasonable to grind tablets and add to salt. I do avoid processed food and many kinds of fortified food are highly processed...

·
Ex-*****
5,391 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssessinka View Post

Thanks for the response. So I guess It's not totally unreasonable to grind tablets and add to salt. I do avoid processed food and many kinds of fortified food are highly processed...
Not totally unreasonable, but probably a little impractical. If I were you I'd probably just take one tablet every two or three days.

I see now that you're in the UK. You may want to consider getting Veg1 which is a special vegan multivitamin designed by the Vegan Society. In addition to B12 it also has vitamin D which a lot of people are deficient / low in since the UK is not the sunniest of places. It also has a few minerals that vegans tend to not get enough of.

·
Registered
6,609 Posts
I take my B-12 lozenges when I remember. When my doctor told me that they would be a good idea, she suggested taking them every few days.

I take my multivitamin religiously, which also contains B-12

·
Registered
212 Posts
I get more than enough B12 from nooch, but I do take a D2 supplement since I spend almost no time in the sun.

·
Registered
212 Posts
You need B12 because humans have evolved to require B12. There's nothing bad or tricky about needing it - we all do. You need to either buy foods fortified with B12 or take some sort of supplement. You will develop some very severe problems if you don't.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Yup, Vitamin B-12 supplements. Completely plant or chemically derived, and they provide precisely 16,667% of the suggested DV intake of Vitamin B-12.I don't know about you, but I prefer that to burnt sources any day. :p

·
Registered
44 Posts
Question...my multivitamin has B12 and it's like 200% of the daily requirement. I know my body doesn't absorb all of this but do I need any additional? I bought some nutritional yeast yesterday and plan on using that here and there.

·
Ex-*****
5,391 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by maggs8507 View Post

Question...my multivitamin has B12 and it's like 200% of the daily requirement. I know my body doesn't absorb all of this but do I need any additional? I bought some nutritional yeast yesterday and plan on using that here and there.
200%, assuming that means 2 micrograms, is too little, at least according to professionals that I trust, such as veganhealth.org. Also note that nutritional yeast doesn't have B12 unless it specifically says so in the ingredients list.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indian Summer View Post

200%, assuming that means 2 micrograms, is too little, at least according to professionals that I trust, such as veganhealth.org. Also note that nutritional yeast doesn't have B12 unless it specifically says so in the ingredients list.
I got Braggs yeast and it says it's in there. I will start taking a supplement too.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts