VeggieBoards banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About to go shopping and need some dinner ideas, I am tired of nasty fake meat products, HELP, what makes a good filling dinner!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Made some yummy chili the other day with red beans, chickpeas, and cornbread on the side. It felt really good to have it with the start of Fall.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Chili is a great idea, there are so many ways to prepare chilis and soups that those alone can offer lots of variety. We fix soup or chili at least once a week and usually have leftovers for the next day. Here's a list of a few easy meal ideas my boyfriend and I try to keep on hand for dinner as well as most of the things we buy to make them. Hopefully this might give you an idea or two.

Pita Pizzas- Pita shells, bell pepper, onion, pineapple, mushrooms, banana peppers, spinach, pizza sauce + any other toppings we're in the mood for

Stir Fry - Brown rice, baby corn, water chestnuts, snap peas, mushrooms, broccoli, peppers, tofu,

Pasta- Whole grain pasta, sauce, chopped veggies, and garlic toast

Black Bean Burgers- We also make these (recipe here) It's cheaper than buying fake-meat burgers and extras can be frozen for later.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
My favorite is lasagne~ Buy some fresh lasagne sheets, tomato sauce, spinach, zucchini, corn, carrots, pineapple, and any other veggies you think would go good in there. If you're lacto, cheese and cottage cheese.

Heat oven to 350. Mix all the veggies with your sauce in a pot. Lay out one layer of sauce in the bottom of a dish, (followed by cheese and cottage cheese if you're into that), then noodles, sauce, noodles untill it's full or you're out of sauce. Bake for however long the noodles say to lol. Tada~ My favorite dish

·
Registered
6,609 Posts
In addition to what others suggested, tacos!

I make my tacos now only with beans.

Here's how I make the bean filling. This portion is enough to make two people very full:
Cook down half an onion in vegetable oil, add taco spices like cumin, chili powder, black pepper.
Add one can of black or kidney beans and one can of vegetarian/fat-free refried beans to the onion mush.
Mix together, now you have taco bean mush.

Or, if you prefer just refried or black beans alone, that will work just as well. All the rest of the typical taco ingredients are 100% vegetarian.

·
Banned
1,726 Posts
I second the black bean burgers, veggie chile and tacos. Now, I'm hungry! Falafel is also filling along with a veggie pot pie (pot pie recipe from Betty Crocker's cookbook). I just substitute broccoli, carrots and peas for the chicken and use soy milk instead of dairy milk to make the sauce. It's delicious.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Lentil dhal on rice!

Curry powder (I use a blend that already has salt in it, but feel free to make up your own blend) + coconut milk, mix and heat.
Lentils + onion + garlic in a wok or pan, cook until onions are done, add the curry coconut sauce and then blenderize it (or however you puree food in your home) until it is a thick goopy paste. Toss it over some rice and serve!

I third the multi-bean chili!

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
black beans and rice, or bean soup. or sweet potato/butternut/roasted carrot/whatever soup.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dormouse View Post

In addition to what others suggested, tacos!

I make my tacos now only with beans.

Here's how I make the bean filling. This portion is enough to make two people very full:
Cook down half an onion in vegetable oil, add taco spices like cumin, chili powder, black pepper.
Add one can of black or kidney beans and one can of vegetarian/fat-free refried beans to the onion mush.
Mix together, now you have taco bean mush.

Or, if you prefer just refried or black beans alone, that will work just as well. All the rest of the typical taco ingredients are 100% vegetarian.
Ooh, I make tacos with soy meat. Still have to try the bean tacos.

I like bean burritos, and my favorite meal in the world are quesadillas. There's just something I like about them..

·
Registered
11 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveLifeHumane View Post

Ooh, I make tacos with soy meat. Still have to try the bean tacos.

I like bean burritos, and my favorite meal in the world are quesadillas. There's just something I like about them..
Where do you buy soy meat?

·
Registered
814 Posts
Roasted vegetables with couscous

Dhal and brown rice

Portabello burgers

Tofu steak with mashed potatoes and greens

Lentil patties in a spicy tomato sauce

Pasta arrabiatta

Chickpea curry and brown rice

Wild rice salad

Soup and a toasted sandwich

Tofu scramble, home made hash browns, grilled tomato and wilted spinach

A fresh baguette with roasted capsicum/bell peppers and eggplant/aubergine, crisp lettuce, finely sliced red onion, slivers of carrot and cucumber (made with a vegetable peeler) and sweet tomato relish

Fried rice tossed with toasted nuts (slivered almonds and peanuts are very good)

Beans on toast

Toasted peanut butter and banana dog (toast a banana over a flame using a skewer, place in a warmed bun, zap peanut butter in the microwave and drizzle over the banana as you would mustard on a sausage)

Seasoned vegetable wedges (potato, sweet potato/kumera, beetroot, pumpkin/squash) with dipping sauce

1 - 12 of 12 Posts