VeggieBoards banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Most of the abortion debate seems to be focused on viviparous species, particularly placental mammals. What about for egg-layers, though?

My personal view: pregnant females have a right to abortion until the point of laying, but they do not have a right to terminate eggs after laying. They have a right to put their eggs up for adoption, to be incubated by someone else who would gain custody of the hatched offspring (as established in Mayzie v. Horton (1940)), but they do not have a right to terminate eggs after laying.

Your thoughts?

·
Registered
3,922 Posts
When I was a kid, my teacher brought in some chicken eggs to incubate and hatch into baby chickens. We incubated them for a while but I guess she got bored because one day she took us out to the back of the school and smashed all in the eggs into the ground so we could have a look at the half developed chicks.

·
Registered
3,705 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by yally View Post

When I was a kid, my teacher brought in some chicken eggs to incubate and hatch into baby chickens. We incubated them for a while but I guess she got bored because one day she took us out to the back of the school and smashed all in the eggs into the ground so we could have a look at the half developed chicks.
That's horrifying...

·
Registered
753 Posts
I used to raise yard chickens, I stopped eat most eggs when one day i went to make brownies and a chicken fetus fell into the bowl instead of yolk. It made me very upset and I stopped eating obvious sources of egg, though it took going vegan several years later to motivate me to look for the less obvious sources in baked goods and such

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
Quote:

·
Banned
2,861 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idhan View Post

Your thoughts?
Well obviously we need an adoption service that organises the hand over of eggs as soon as as possible after laying.

I think it should be called EggSit or something very similar.

Either that or some way of interfering with the gestation process so that the mother just lays a neatly packaged pre-cooked omelette.

·
Registered
10,324 Posts
Quote:

WTF? This woman shouldn't be allowed to teach children.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkepticalVegan View Post

I used to raise yard chickens, I stopped eat most eggs when one day i went to make brownies and a chicken fetus fell into the bowl instead of yolk. It made me very upset and I stopped eating obvious sources of egg, though it took going vegan several years later to motivate me to look for the less obvious sources in baked goods and such
If I wasn't already vegan, I would be after reading this.

·
Registered
25,067 Posts
Anyone using a word like 'oviparous' outside of biology class I imagine wearing a beret and smoking a pipe.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts