VeggieBoards banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

Over the last year or so I've been eating more nuts and recently after eating them at night I get stomach pains, it spans from left to right but it hurts to stand up straight sometimes just after.

I don't know if it could be gall stones/kidneys stones or anything else. I've been eating more calcium lately, taking supplements.

If anyone has any ideas please let me know? I am visiting the doctor soon, when I have arranged a new doctor as I've moved house.

Many thanks!

·
Banned
2,081 Posts
I wonder if it might not be the nuts but what you're eating around the same time. Your digestive system could be having an issue if you have a fast-moving food go down second on top of a slow-moving food.

·
Registered
219 Posts
First off, take a deep breath. I don't think that you have anything as serious as kidney or gallbladder problems. But if you are seriously worried that your kidney's or gallbladder may be the problem, then you need to go to a doctor before even worrying about your calcium and nut intake. If those serious issues are ruled out, then we can talk. Taking a lot of calcium can cause stomach problems, especially constipation. I don't know if that is happening for you, but that can defintely cause tummy problems. If you're not having constipation then I would venture to say that it may be the nuts. First off, I wouldn't suggest eating really late at night, nuts or anything for that matter because it is very hard on digestion. I'm no expert, but because of the high protein and low digestablitiy of nuts, they can also be hard on the tummy. Maybe you should not eat so many nuts during the day, not eat them late at night, or even cut them out of your diet for a week and see if you start feeling better. Hope you feel better.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
muchas gracias! I haven't had it the last few days, only happens sometimes. Could be that I'm eating them with other foods that are digested quicker or something I suppose

thanks!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Hmm.. i get stomach aches too when i eat nuts sometimes, especially when i eat it w/ carbohydrate foods eg veggies & fruit, prob a poor food combination. or it could be that the nuts are difficult to digest, be sure to chew them well. And about calcium, i've been taking it for a long time too, no probs so far. but yea, excessive intake of calcium in long term can cause kidney stones, cause you get extra calcium in ur diet too

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.