VeggieBoards banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, i have just recently came across this type of jewelry and i do very much like the look of it.

But i have a question, to obtain the shell etc are the people killing the snails etc for it?

·
Vegan since 1991
3,665 Posts
Unfortunately, yes. Abalone shells are a by-product of the abalone meat industry. For reasons of cost-savings (and wildlife conservation), abalones are intensively raised on tank-farms. This makes it much easier to harvest the meat and shells. The same is true for pearls.

The alternative would be to search for empty abalone shells in the wild - this is more expensive, and it's likely that such shells would already be damaged.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abalone

(Below: Abalone tank farm)

The good news is that fake pearl and abalone shell are available, and they look very realistic:

Reactions: QuietVegan

·
Vegan since 1991
3,665 Posts
How do i know what is fake? they are so many "abalone shell" earrings that i like and if i were to message the sellers, they could just lie :(
Sometimes, you can tell by the price of the item. If the earrings are very inexpensive, then they are more likely to be fake abalone.

Or, you can choose a different style of earrings! Many beautiful earrings out there.

·
Registered
14 Posts
May I extend the question?
I've never had a taste for feather jewelry, although I've several shed feathers in my place (lots of turkey, bluejay, and Random friends pet birds) or hatbands.

Next to feather earrings, I see butterfly wings.

What's the harvest on butterflies and moths?
Merely curious. Don't want them.
I have preserved butterflies from pre 1970, because I have weird family.

·
Premium Member
2,671 Posts
May I extend the question?
I've never had a taste for feather jewelry, although I've several shed feathers in my place (lots of turkey, bluejay, and Random friends pet birds) or hatbands.

Next to feather earrings, I see butterfly wings.

What's the harvest on butterflies and moths?
Merely curious. Don't want them.
I have preserved butterflies from pre 1970, because I have weird family.
A friend of mine once gave me a butterfly wing pendant that she said was harvested from butterflies who died naturally. Not sure how accurate that was.

·
Vegan since 1991
3,665 Posts
It doesn't seem beautiful to wear the limbs of other animals.

Reactions: Poppy

·
Vegan since 1991
3,665 Posts
Because of its natural healing properties of Abalone shell this shell it is always in high in demand and recommended mostly .
What natural healing properties? Please cite sources.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 13 of 13 Posts