VeggieBoards banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Arrrg! Me mateys.
5,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quote:
Extraordinary work by Farm Sanctuary and Humane Society of the United States activists in California, Ohio, Washington, and Oregon has brought the UEP to the table: Even the egg producers can see the writing on the wall, which foretells the end of battery cages, so that now, they have agreed to aggressively support legislation that will lessen suffering for hundreds of millions of animals every single year.

The legislation supported by the UEP will: 1) require the eventual nationwide elimination of battery cages; 2) require environmental enrichment for all birds so that they can engage in important natural behaviors currently denied to them in barren cages; 3) mandate labeling on all egg cartons nationwide to inform consumers of the method used to produce the eggs; 4) prohibit forced molting through starvation -- an inhumane practice which is inflicted on tens of millions of hens each year and which involves withholding all food from birds for up to two weeks in order to shock their bodies into another laying cycle; 5) prohibit excessive ammonia levels in henhouses -- a common problem in the industry that is harmful to both hens and egg industry workers; 6) require standards for euthanasia practices; and 7) prohibit the sale of all eggs and egg products nationwide that don't meet these requirements.

This bill, if enacted, will be the first federal law relating to the treatment of chickens used for food, the first federal law relating to the treatment of animals while on farms, and the first federal law improving the treatment of farmed animals in more than thirty years. You can rest assured that Farm Sanctuary will vigorously push for the passage of this legislation.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/bruce-..._b_892028.html

http://action.humanesociety.org/site...0&dlv_id=27705

·
Premium Member
16,664 Posts
Quote:
The legislation supported by the UEP will: 1) require the eventual nationwide elimination of battery cages; 2) require environmental enrichment for all birds so that they can engage in important natural behaviors currently denied to them in barren cages; 3) mandate labeling on all egg cartons nationwide to inform consumers of the method used to produce the eggs; 4) prohibit forced molting through starvation -- an inhumane practice which is inflicted on tens of millions of hens each year and which involves withholding all food from birds for up to two weeks in order to shock their bodies into another laying cycle; 5) prohibit excessive ammonia levels in henhouses -- a common problem in the industry that is harmful to both hens and egg industry workers; 6) require standards for euthanasia practices; and 7) prohibit the sale of all eggs and egg products nationwide that don't meet these requirements.
The fact that these standards have to be set at ALL is appalling.

But any reduction of suffering is a good thing, I dream of the day when people stop exploiting animals this way at all but until that happens I'm not going to sniff at any improvements made in the lives of these birds. Many many chickens are going to live and die this way and it matters a lot to them...

·
Banned
1,368 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira View Post

It it a victory? i mean it says the bill still has to be enacted and there is an "if" there. and i am a bit pessimictic about such bills

but i hope it works out!
If it passes or not, the simple fact that it has made it to a point of being a bill signifies a change in public awareness. 10 or 20 years ago, who cared?
One Brick at a time.

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
Vegan.com's article

Quote:
While these welfare improvements are significant, they still fall short in key ways. Beak searing, the grinding alive of male chicks, and a complete lack of individualized veterinary care go conspicuously unaddressed under this new agreement.
Put another way, conditions for layer hens were hellish yesterday, they'll be hellish tomorrow, and they'll remain hellish ten years from now. But factory farming contains many circles of hell, and there can be no doubting that many of the most excruciating torments suffered by today's hens are now scheduled be phased out.
Ultimately, at the end of the day, even if every egg laying hen lived in ideal conditions, raising hens just for their eggs would result in a system that justifies us treating animals as property, and very likely discarding unwanted male chicks. That's not in line with any type of fundamental vegetarian principle, and that's why I don't eat eggs.

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh James xVx View Post

Ultimately, at the end of the day, even if every egg laying hen lived in ideal conditions, raising hens just for their eggs would result in a system that justifies us treating animals as property, and very likely discarding unwanted male chicks. That's not in line with any type of fundamental vegetarian principle, and that's why I don't eat eggs.
Baby steps.

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
I see it passing. If there's already buy-in from the United Egg Producers, which helped craft the provisions, there's really nobody left to oppose it. I think that's how they worked in all those 10-year delays in implementation.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.