VeggieBoards banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been vegan now for almost a year. I was diagnosed with ulcers and Chron's Disease many years ago.

I went into an allergist last month only to find that I am allergic to soy, corn, wheat, rice, beans, broccoli, trees and grasses [cross-react when I try to eat apples and bananas].

I was instructed to change my diet. We did not test meats because I do not eat meat [except they did test turkey on accident and I was allergic to that as well, but not as badly as everything else]. We also tested milk and eggs which I am allergic to milk, but not eggs.

I'm not sure where to go from here. I refuse to go back on veganism as I have very strong beliefs which is why I went vegan to begin with. People told me going vegan would kill me, and I told them I would happily die to hold on to my beliefs.

I believe vegans are healthy, happy people and this is all simply my body being a freak of nature so what the stupid omnivores say still means nothing to me. However, veganism is killing me.

Where do I go from here?

·
Banned
2,081 Posts
You could check into the raw foods diet. You wouldn't necessarily have to stick to that 100%, but you could easily find enough foods to eat if you see what's available in the raw food world. It would give you some ideas of what's really out there; and it's a lot!

·
Banned
2,081 Posts
I followed 100% raw for about 5 months, with very few slip ups. You'd be surprised what you can do with raw foods. Pesto-stuffed mushrooms, "pasta", ice "cream", green smoothies, desserts (i.e. chocolate pie, chocolate covered nuts, truffles, apple pies/cobblers...etc), tacos, enchiladas, chili, etc.... and since you wouldn't actually be raw, you could heat said foods, but use the same ingredients.

·
Registered
8,743 Posts
Have you had a second or third opinion about your allergy tests (or are the allergies clear to you when you eat the foods)? How was your testing done? I have had different responses to allergy testing, depending on the type of doctor and test.

Is it possible there are variations within your allergies? I looked up "bean allergy" and found:

"A patient experiencing severe reactions to chili bean soup made with white beans and baked beans could tolerate green beans and lima beans."

So maybe some of your allergies are not all or nothing?

Have you tried a holistic practitioner who may be able to help with the allergies?

Just suggestions. I would be working to find solutions, as you are. Sorry you're having a rough time with this

·
Banned
2,081 Posts
I think that's ignorance talking. Kind of like when someone says "You're a vegetarian? OH MY GOD... what do you eat?!"

There are plenty of things OP can eat.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I actually never went off of the things I was told I was allergic to and last week I was doing a lot of heavy vomiting because of it.

I just eat less, basically. I eat bean and rice burritos everyday with salsa. I think they're delicious despite the fact that they are composed completely of things I should not be eating. I was severely allergic to kidney beans and lentils, as I recall. I can't remember what else specifically.

My testing was the "prick" testing done on my back. All that was not clear was redone as a large shot into my arm. I was so pumped full of allergens that I was ill all that week and one week later I had to return for even more tests. I still have a large dry spot on my left arm where my wheat shot was, and this was at least 3 or 4 weeks ago. The reaction was delayed, but I wound up with itchy, dry hives.

The raw food idea could be a great alternative. I will be getting allergy shots to build up an immunity to my allergies despite the dangers and one of the big ones will be trees and grasses because those allergies cross-react with my body which makes me react badly to fruit consumption. I almost died trying to eat an apple at one point in time and not eating fruits is hard on me and I don't like not being able to have a damn apple on a daily basis. Or even a banana. Or some melon. ^_^

So anyway ... I'll keep looking into more solutions.

·
Registered
16,090 Posts
Aye. I feel for you HandcuffedAngel. (Very fitting screen name, given this thread!) That would be very frustrating and difficult.

I've been lucky to never have a single allergy to anything. So unfortunately I have no advice and can only offer my sympathy. I know there have been many similar threads where members have discovered they were allergic to many vegetarian staples--so hopefully those members will notice your thread and provide the advice and suggestions you need.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I don't quite understand the suggestions for going on the raw food diet. Wouldn't that just limit food choices even more?

Have you tried going to a nutritionist with the list of foods you can't or won't eat to see if you can get good advice Handcuffedangel? I wish you luck in finding the path that will keep you healthy while sticking to your ethics.

I found a book that might be helpful to you (Allergy Cooking with Ease : The No Wheat, Milk, Eggs, Corn, Soy, Yeast, Sugar, Grain). http://marketplace.chef2chef.net/coo...091498442X.htm It doesn't cover all of your allergies but perhaps you'll find some recipes in it that might work for you.

·
Registered
875 Posts
I don't understand why a raw diet would help either. But there are alternatives to rice, corn and wheat such as millet, quinoa, oats (or do you have to eat gluten free?). It looks like you can eat all veg except broccoli, and how about nuts and seeds? Almond or oat milk?

I hope you find a diet that suits you.

·
Banned
2,081 Posts
I didn't say to follow the raw diet. I said to look into it and see how many different options are available. I also had a laundry list of raw foods/meals, but some folks apparently didn't read that post. Anyone who says raw food is very limited knows nothing about it.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I feel for you hun what a dilemma. Maybe you could see a vegan nutritionist for some advice? There are usually small ads in the back of AR magazines.

·
Registered
8,130 Posts
I did some googling, and I think I found something that may help you.

A RAST test (short for radioallergosorbent test) is a blood test used to determine what a person is allergic to. This is different from a skin allergy test, which determines allergy by the reaction of a person's skin to different substances.

So, perhaps your skin is sensitive, but your digestion is not.

In addition, the RAST test seems to be able to measure sensitivity of the allergy, so you may be able to find that some allergies are more severe than others.

If your doctor hasn't advised a blood test, I'd ask why, and perhaps get a second opinion if you don't get a satisfactory answer.

Just my $.02

PS: This may also be useful.

·
Registered
183 Posts
To anyone that has food allergies and wants to try a raw diet: DO NOT GO ON A RAW DIET. If you are allergic to certain foods, the actual raw plant has the proteins you're allergic to. If you cook them, they break down and you can eat them. I did a research paper on allergic reactions for my anatomy class, mostly beacuse I have sort of the same symptoms.

Did you're allergist tell you about Oral Allergy Syndrome? You need to talk to your allergist to find out exactly what you are allergic to, what form you CAN digest, how to avoid these foods. I would even try getting a second allergists opinion. One of mine suggested cutting out the stuff I was allergic to completely, the other suggested cooking the offending proteins off, which actually works.

I don't think that you should try to change you diet rapidly without a nutritionist's help if you have that many allergies. It IS worth it and you're insurance should cover it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.